Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well once again my new comp decides to kill it self over night, 1 day its fine the next it isn't, here's the problem.

I go to boot up normally, everything seems fine. But this new screen started to appear a couple of times, it was a blue screen (not BSOD) that had a "please wait......................." with several "dots" going across the screen (like a loading screen), now this only started to happen when I had to emergency restart (little black button) to exit a game i was playing. This got me worried that the ram could be buggered so I did a few fiddles here and there and it seemed fine.

OK well i went through a few days of this, got new AV software, did tedious deep scans and disk checks and defrags etc, thought nothing of it, but still thought the memory mite of been ballsed a bit. So that day i was too tired so i turned off.

Only to boot up the next day, go through same process, WinXP logo scroll bar (seems to hang on "fade in" 1 or 2 times...this is when i knew there was a problem) went through the "please wait........." screen again, only this took twice as long...and of course this is when I get the BSOD :(. Its so useless it tells you nothing of what caused it, the only info it gave me was this exact message:

*** STOP : 0x0000007F (0x000000D, 0X00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

And that was it :(. Now for a list of what Ive tried:

- All of the options on the "F8" menu, right the way down from "safe mode" all the way down the list to "start normally"
- Tried taking one peace of my ram out, swapping them over in case for mem errors etc/vice versa, no dice
- Tried using my HD's on another comp to get a disk check going on...this comp currently wont recognise either HD for some reason no matter how i plug it in
- According to the bios and the "windows directory controller" boot options...both my "D: AND C:" volumes of my data are perfectly fine :S but I still get BSOD (oh yeah and my HD IS recognised in the bios BTW)
- I've tried booting using per sector boot instead of multi sector boot to check and see if I had severe sector issues, no luck

So as you can see Ive tried pretty much everything, my mate has said that it could be something to do with a corrupt system file, system32 file or something to do with the SP3 windows update. He said the only way could be for re-install of windows :( and possible format. Hell I could of already lost all the data on the HD from this error :S.

My K:\ drive I KNOW is perfectly fine and says so it self...but this dam computer wont pick up any of my HD's, maybe coz my HD's use SATA connections and this comp doesn't use that.

Well I'm all out of options, and of course you guessed it, I don't have any of the original boot disks or XP discs at all.

So what you guys reckon, do you recognise the error in the BSOD? Is it a simple "find a compatible comp and get the HD sorted out/disk checked etc"? Or has it completely failed on me?

I just don't get PCs, one day there fine the next...boom BSOD :(.

Any help would be great thanks :)

Oh and PS...I'm almost perfectly sure ITS NOT and kind of virus or bug or w/e, did endless scans.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Re: HLEP! BSOD on bootup, guessing at HD?

That type of virus protection are you using? Is it by any chance Norton? If so then see if you can get far enough to disable it for a bit to test that situation.

Also, have you tried to clear the CMOS to see if there is any corruption there?

Have you had any hardware or software changes recently?

If you can get to safe mode at any time, try a system restore in case it is software related.

Here is something you might want to read:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

That type of virus protection are you using? Is it by any chance Norton? If so then see if you can get far enough to disable it for a bit to test that situation.

Also, have you tried to clear the CMOS to see if there is any corruption there?

Have you had any hardware or software changes recently?

If you can get to safe mode at any time, try a system restore in case it is software related.

Here is something you might want to read:
Norton?! Lol xD!! hell no, i was using bitdefender 2008 edition.

Clear the CMOS? how and where do I do that and what does that do, in the BIOS somewhere yeah?

No hardware changes at all, no way software could of done this, as I said I did endless 5 hour deep scans only a few nights before.

I cant get into Safemode at all like I said...its impossible atm.

I read that Microsoft thing but...
Test the RAM in the computer by running the diagnostic software that is provided by the computer manufacturer.
umm how can i do this? From the BIOS? Is this article even assuming I can actually boot up?

@ peagreen

Ive tried using this comps hardrive but for some reason it cant recognise it properly...i mean it recognises it the bios, and flashes up with the name but...hmmmmm never got past the "insert your boot disk" thingy.

I will try again with this HD but its a pain in the **** of a fiddle lol.

Meanwhile, are any of these diagnostic things I can do be done from the BIOS? Because thats my only option ATM there.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts

To clear the cmos, simply pull the motherboard battery out a few minutes (be sure you are unplugged) and then return it.

When it comes back up, set it to factory defaults. (then make sure the raid mode is turned off if your board defaults to that. That alone could cause searching without finding the hard drive) It will say something (all are somewhat different) like Promise Raid controller or something similar.

No entry in safe mode is possible?

In the Bios setup menu, go to the boot area (you said you could get there) and make sure the boot order hasn't changed on you. Set it to:

CDRom - 1st
Floppy - 2nd
Hard Drive - Boot drive 3rd

Then, scroll on down in that area to where it says HARD DISK PRIORITY and make sure that you have the hard drive you are booting from set to FIRST in that area.

What motherboard are we dealing with?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

To clear the cmos, simply pull the motherboard battery out a few minutes (be sure you are unplugged) and then return it.

When it comes back up, set it to factory defaults. (then make sure the raid mode is turned off if your board defaults to that. That alone could cause searching without finding the hard drive) It will say something (all are somewhat different) like Promise Raid controller or something similar.

No entry in safe mode is possible?

In the Bios setup menu, go to the boot area (you said you could get there) and make sure the boot order hasn't changed on you. Set it to:

CDRom - 1st
Floppy - 2nd
Hard Drive - Boot drive 3rd

Then, scroll on down in that area to where it says HARD DISK PRIORITY and make sure that you have the hard drive you are booting from set to FIRST in that area.

What motherboard are we dealing with?
Right ok i shall try that. Although now I am starting to think it could be a memory error, So i have another question:

Could i simply take the RAM out of this computer and stick it in mine? Or is it not as simple as that?

Oh my all my comp specs are under my name in "My System" but anyways its a: P5K-E/WIFI-APCH1-13 board

+ I assume i can turn RAID off in the bios too.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts

Yes, you can turn raid off in the bios. BTW, I am also using the P5K-e wi/fi, so that helps since I have a manual right here.

Try only one stick of memory at a time and then switch them to see if that helps. We need to keep trying to find a solution for this one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.