Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this XP box, using fat32. Sony vaio with 512Mb p4 1.4 or 1.8 can't remember.

Anyways, its boots fine, but as soon as you go to a web page, it freezes, and you have NO keyboard and NO mouse functionality ????

any ideas of why at this point it freezes ?

so i have to power down and power up and then blue screen of disk checking comes up .. etc. etc..

any ideas of what to repair first ?

·
Security Team , Visiting Trainee (247)
1,070 Posts
Re: Here's a weird one in XP

Hi, check what the user posted above. Also before the computer crashes make sure task manager is running. Press ctrl+alt+del and check what processes are running really high or using alot of memory.

This problem could also be cause by a corrupt file in your browser, I would recommend using a different browser such as firefox, if you are using firefox then use internet explorer.

The other thing you can do is reset IE that should fix it

click start then run and type inetcpl.cpl
go to advanced and click restore defaults then click on reset

ps, your favorited will be removed and flash player also but don't worry these can be installed one the browser is reset.

Also i forgot to add this, if you get a blue screen can you ready the error displayed, I think your hard drive is failing. I think you should backup any data and try to format it or wait until it totally fails.

You could perform the chkdsk
when pc is running
click start then run, type cmd
then there type chkdsk C: /r
the c can be replaced with the drive letter referring to the local disk.

·
1,070 Posts

Another thing I would like to ask, have you added anything new to IE? for example an active x to play a video, toolbars or buttons etc.

I think that the add-ons might also cause this, but anyway resetting it will delete the add-ons if proceded.

·
God (TSF Enthusiast)
1,118 Posts

Disk checking or BSOD? Blue Screen of Death--google image search it. They're WAY different. One means you shut down the wrong way, the other means your hard drive got screwed up and you're going to have to get another one... or go in an fix that one... honestly I think buying another one would be best. I mean... a laptop running on 512 RAM? It's practically ancient :p

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,253 Posts

The repeated requests for chkdsk is not unusual with a Drive formated in FAT32 . . Any idea why it was not formatted NTFS?

I would run diagnostics on the hard drive ( click here )

For the hanging problem, With IE Open, Click on Tools . . Internet Options . . Advanced tab and select "Manage Add ons" . . disable all of the active addons and see if the problem goes away.

·
1,070 Posts

Hey, that is what I was thinking why it wasn't formatted in NTFS? because there wasn't a hard drive size I though user must have done it through choice.

Maybe formatting it to NTFS might solve your problem.

Another thing you can do is convert your current FAT32 to NTFS file system.

Click start then run and type cmd
then type convert C: /fs:ntfs
remember the space and also change the C: to which ever drive is your local disk, one that has xp installed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I re-installed XP with NTFS

that has cleared up the "hanging or freezing" problem..

thanks for all the help :4-clap:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.