Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lets start from the beginning, i got this laptop in 2008 and it was a hand me down from my stepfathers company. i have absolutely no service pack or anything with this computer. i have Norton antivirus on it. so one day i log on to my computer and im about to play ca and when i click it says shfolder.dll is not a valid windows image. Now i download google earth and it wont let me on and it says the same exact thing. Can i delete it or what should i do.:upset:

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
Re: help with shfolder.dll

Welcome to TSF!

You can run the System FIle Checker (SFC) to see if it can replace the corrupt file.
Click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R), type cmd, press Enter.
Type SFC /ScanNow and press Enter.

You may need the XP CD though, unless you have the i386 folder on the hard drive.

See this site for more info on using SFC
Scannow SFC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

i did all what that website did and still said i need that stupid cd. what can i do, can i just buy it or what.

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts

Check to see if you have this folder:
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
If so, there should be a copy of the file there.
Boot to Safe Mode (Tab F8 as you boot the system, select Safe Mode from the menu). Copy (not move) the file to C:\Windows\System32.

If it's not there, you can download the full network install of SP2 or SP3 (match the current SP version you have installed), extract the files, expand the shfolder.dll_/B] file, then copy it to C:\Windows\System32

Download SP2 or SP3
Save the downloaded file into C:\SP.
Click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R), type cmd, press Enter
Type the following lines, press Enter after each:
cd\
cd /D C:\sp

Type win and press Tab, this should type the rest of the file name for you, then type -x:c:\sp
The line should look like this for SP3:
windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe -x:c:\sp
Press Enter and the files will be extracted to C:\sp\i386
Now type this line and press Enter:
expand C:\sp\i386\shfolder.dl_ C:\sp\shfolder.dll

Boot to Safe Mode and copy the shfolder.dll file from the C:\sp folder to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

which folder the i386 or the sp3 do i copy into the system 32. do i do the scannow in safe modde.

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts

You're Welcome!

Guess that could have been clearer, thanks for clarifying that spunk.funk. I've edited it for future reference.

If your issue has been resolved you can mark this thread Solved by using the Thread Tools at the Top Right of this thread (above the first post) :grin:

Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.