Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A long time ago, I typed up a document, saved it and then exited out of Word. But years later and ever since then, the same document always pops up, even when I try to open up a new blank page. What can I do to get this to go away?

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
Re: Help with Microsoft Word 2003

It sounds like you saved that old document as your normal template. To get a blank one to start coming up, delete that template then close Word. A new Normal template will be created using the default settings.

If you click File>New a box should open giving a list of document types you can open. Is there one called Blank Document? If so click that and see if it doesn't open correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I tried that, but the same document keeps popping up every time I try to open up a new blank document.

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts

Two thoughts: Do a search for "Normal.dot" without the quotes. Make sure you have search for hidden and system files checked. There should be one for each user on your computer. Delete yours (or all to be safe.) Then open Word and it should build a new normal template.

If that still doesn't work try this: open a document (any will do) then ctrl-A then delete. Now go to File>Save As>Save as File Type> Document Template (*.dot)> save it as file name "normal" again without the quotes. Close Word and then reopen.

Edit: another thought. Do a search for the name of the document that keeps opening and delete all instances of it - use "name.*". (The * will get all file extensions with that name. No quotes here too.) Be sure to empty you trash bin too. Then open Word and see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I tried the first suggestion and it worked! I cannot thank you enough. That was getting on my last nerve. I really appreciate all your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.