Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've recently started having sudden death problems with my computer. It used to be that I'd start up my computer and get into windows then when i tried to use some more graphic heavy applications (games) it jsut suddenly shut off. It now actually just sudden deaths during the boot up. It begins to power up fine but out of no where, sudden death. I talked to a friend of mine and he suspected a power supply problem, but I wanted to atleast get a 2nd opinion before going out to buy another poewr supply.

Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Re: Help Sudden Death problem...

It might be a power supply problem, or it might be a heat issue. When you first turn it on, go to the bios setup menu and see if you can get a temperature and voltage reading if it stays on long enough.

Also, list the brand name and watts of your power supply for us along with general computer specs including motherboard and video card.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

yea.. it won't stay on long enough.. i can barely get into the bios and move to the correct page before it shuts down on me.

Motherboard: MSI 865PE/G Neo2-P (MS-6728 (v2.X) ATX mainboard
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz,
Memory: 1GB Corsair TwinX PC3200 Dual Channel DDR
Videocard: GeForce 7800GS OC
Power Supply: Anteq Basiq Power 500W

·
Registered
25,111 Posts

Open the side of the case and blow a house fan directly on the CPU and see if it stays on longer. If it is a heat issue, it should stay on longer. REport back with information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

mmm i tried.. doesn't do anything.... I haven't used my comp for about 3 weeks before i last turned it on and the same problem occured.. so i don't think it is an over heating problem... atleast i don't think so.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts

Looks like we are down to the power supply to try next. Do you know someone who has one you could swap in just to try? One other thing, be sure your CPU legs are down tightly, because that can also cause what you are seeing if they are not snug.

Let us know how it goes if you can swap one in.

Addendum: Some people go to BestBuy or Staples and get a good power supply and try it. If that solves the issue, then keep it, and if not, then take it back for a small restocking fee. That way you can test it to make sure you don't buy something you don't need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

yea a buddy of mine has an extra power supply that i can use. I'll see if it works tomorrow and update you.

Thanks for the advice so far!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

o nice it works now. new power supply completely fixed it. its acutally running better than before :O

·
Registered
25,111 Posts

Great, glad to hear you have it going. Don't be a stranger on here now, stick around and enjoy the forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.