Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm currently looking to purchase a laptop hdd to upgrade my PS3.

I was thinking 1TB should be about right for me since I have a Playstation Plus acct and I'm downloading digital copies of games monthly. (Some up to 15gb a game)

The criteria for the drive is as follows. As far as I know it should work fine in the ps3 as long as it's 2.5", 5400rpm, and 9.5mm. (If I'm missing something please do tell)

So while looking around I find some 1tb on ebay for under 100$ but they are taller than the 9.5mm. Checking newegg I don't see anything cheaper than 100$. But going down to 750gb I see a refurb for 60$ which seems like a great deal. Here's where I'm stuck.

First, I've never really purchased electronics from anywhere but amazon, ebay, and newegg. They're my "go to" sites. So anyone know of anywhere else that is reputable and maybe has some decent cheaper prices I should be checking out?

Second, is the extra 250gb really worth the extra 35-40$? Seems a bit steep when I'll likely SERIOUSLY have a hard time filling 750gb. Realistically new games come out every month for Playstation Plus. 2-3(MAX) are around 15gb. The rest are usually around 1gb. So do the math and I should be good for years.

So I guess I'm just looking for some educated advice on what you would do. I've purchased a lot of electronics but HDD upgrade hasn't been one of them. I snatched a 160gb SATA hdd a while back for 20$ off craigslist to throw along side my other 160gb in my desktop, but this situation is a bit different since it's not as easy as just throwing another hdd next to the current one in my ps3.

So what are your thoughts? I'm leaning towards a refurb 750gb for 60$ probably being the best deal for me, but wanted to get a few other opinions before making the final decision. Newegg.com - Refurbished: Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD7500BPVT 750GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Hardwa
19,823 Posts
Re: Help Shopping HDD

Personally, I typically only use newegg. Sometimes Amazon or Buy.com if they are cheaper or on sale. I will sometimes purchase from eBay, but most of the sellers (and buyers) there seem to be totally clueless about current prices (ie: selling or bidding prices higher than the cost of a new unit). However, if you decide to go that route, watch the seller rating, shipping cost, and returns/warranty (many sellers won't allow returns or warranty the hardware).

Keep in mind that the refurb drives from newegg do NOT have a full warranty. I believe they are only 90 days and they are exchange only.

And only you can decide if the additional space is worth the cost, or if it's even needed. Seems overkill for your use. Especially as you can simply delete content to free up space (you can always download again later).

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Thanks for the input. Very true.

I've been an ebay shopper a long time so I know the ins and out of ebaying. I wasn't sure if there was say another equivalent to newegg out there that I didn't know about.

I understand newegg only does exchange and no full warranty on their refurb but honestly I have 100% confidence in anything newegg sells me. Also, a lot of people hear refurb and immediately think "broke at one point," when in reality sometimes it's as simple as say someone bought and sent it back w/ 30 day money back guarantee cause they bought the wrong drive or something to that nature.

So you also agree it seems overkill. Okay. I think I am going to go ahead and go with the 750gb refurb for 60$. Seems like a good deal. Also I believe I can sell the 160gb in there to a friend I sold my old 40gb PS3 console to for 25$ and that'll almost pay for half the new hdd. :cool: I know this isn't the correct forum area since now we're talking consoles but anyone that is knowledgeable on hdd in consoles have anything to say about this drive I linked going into a slim ps3? As in will I have any problems or does that look good to go?

From my research all I saw was the 9.5mm size, 2.5", and rpm5400. Didn't say anything about ATA or SATA so I assume that won't be a problem.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

On another note I see this drive has a 2 egg rating for refurb. But that's only from one person. I see the same drive not refurb has a 4 egg rating... Reading the reviews it seems like almost everyone says it fails in under 2 years...

Am I making a mistake going with this one or are those just their scenario and it happens? I mean I've had stuff fail on me before and I realize sometimes *&^% happens. But is this like a known drive to fail?... I certainly don't want to have to deal with that happening to me. Specially on a ps3 I wouldn't have a backup hdd to use on and risk losing a lot of irreplaceable data... One review says installed in PS3 works great.. But doesn't specify a few years later... I was literally two seconds from buying it tonight and then read all those reviews and was like "ehh I'll see what yall's opinion on that is."

EDIT: Was just looking around while contemplating this. From the looks of it, if I'm spending 60$ I can get a few other brands of 750gb hdd that are NEW w/ 1 yr warranty if this Western Digital Scorpio is too much of a risk. Few examples... New 750GB 5400RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - FREE SHIPPING | eBay New 750GB 5400RPM 2.5" SATA2 Notebook Hard Drive (For DELL,HP,Compaq / PS3 OK) | eBay

Thoughts?

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Hardwa
19,823 Posts

Don't know that I'd base a purchasing decision on a single review. If you want to use reviews as a decision, use the new reviews.

And I agree about refurbs. I don't have a problem with them myself, and with most sellers (Apple comes to mind for iPods), the refurb carries the same warranty as a new unit. In this case, it's just newegg policy.

I've used about all of the different brands of HDD's, and can't say any one brand is worse than another. They all have a bad model from time to time, it's just a fact of life.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Definitely. I agree. However I'm not basing this off the one review though. If you go to the same hdd on newegg, just NOT refurb, there are over 6 reviews. Even the people that give it a positive review say it dies in under 2 years. :ermm:

I think I'm gonna go w/ that one on ebay w/ the 1 year warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.