Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have an Hp Compaq Presario V2000 and my warranty is over. When ever i turn on my laptop, it will give me the compaq sign and these options:
EsC to change boot order
F10 to enter setup
F12 to boot from LAN

I can change the boot order, and enter setup, but i cannot boot from Local area network (LAN). Plus i dont have a wireless internet card, but i have a linsys network adapter.
But if I dont choose any of these options, it skips to the next screen which says exactly this:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8139 (X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)
PXE-e61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-m0f: Exiting PXE ROM
!!!:mad: Im going a bit crazy!:3-nuts:

I got a new hardrive and it still does that. I have a cd of windows xp professional but it does not seem to let me install it.
please help me.
my battery pack and power are fine and dandy.
i have looked online and have found many more laptops which have the same problem, but only one that is my model type. PLEASE HELP!
i dont wish to buy a new laptop.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Help!!! Laptop is messed up!!

By Windows Xp won't let me install can you elaborate?

-Does it run the installation disk
-Does it allow you to see partitions
-Does it allow you to delete them
-Does it allow you to install anything

Also what type of HDD have you got:
The exact make and model and type?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

the installation disk will run, it loads all the files, and when it says "loading windows" it will freeze.
Other times, it will be a blue screen, and at the corner it will say windows setup. It says loading kernal and other stuff, then it will say:

File \i386\l_intl.nls could not be loaded. The error code is 7.
Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

It will not let me install anything and I cannot change the installation settings at all. Also the computer will recognize the cd, but it wont let the cd out of the drive. lol

My hdd is a Western Digital WD Scorpio.
It has an 8mb cache and it is 160 gb EIDE. i bought it in april 08, but i can still swap the hard drive in for store credit at best buy, which will allow me to get 118.00$ worth of best buy stuff if i swap it in. (That might help if i need a different hard drive)

·
Registered
12,437 Posts

Hi,

It looks like you have a defective HDD. You also said you had this replaced but you get a freeze during installation.

Some things to do:
  1. Run Memtest86+ to test your RAM. Test your RAM modules separately (remove one as you test the other). Make like 2 passes for each stick.
  2. Clean the CD/DVD lens. Use a cleaner or compressed air.
  3. Check your vents/heatsink if they are full of dust or what have you. Clean the vents using a can of compressed air or use an air compressor. Give it a few good bursts or until you are sure you have blown most if not all of the dust out.
Post back results of the above.

Btw, are you using PATA drives?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sorry, im not very good with tech speak. im still learning.
1.wats memtest86?
How can i use it?
2.I cant clean my cd drive because it wont open at all.
it will recognize the disk, but wont open the disk drive.
3. no luck.

and How do i tell if my drive is pata?
all i know right now is that on my hard drive it says 160 gb EIDE. Does that help?
and do you think if i made a video of the laptop, would that help?

·
Registered
12,437 Posts

Sorry, im not very good with tech speak. im still learning.
1.wats memtest86? -- a tool to test your RAM
How can i use it? -- in another PC, download the ISO file of Memtest (use link on my sig), extract to your desktop then use ImgBurn or Nero to burn the ISO image into a blank CD. If you are using ImgBurn, right-click on the Memtest ISO file in your Desktop and select Burn with ImgBurn.

2.I cant clean my cd drive because it wont open at all. it will recognize the disk, but wont open the disk drive. -- it does not open when you press the unload button of the CD drive (laptop should be ON)? If so, use a paper clip and insert it in the hole on the CD drive cover (there should be a very small hole there that only a small pin or a paper clip can fit) then push gently inside until you hear a click the CD drive tray comes out.

3. no luck.

and How do i tell if my drive is pata?
all i know right now is that on my hard drive it says 160 gb EIDE. Does that help? -- never mind this at the moment. Do the tests above and post the result. Also post exact model of the laptop.
and do you think if i made a video of the laptop, would that help?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

okay. first off. i love you!
hahahha
im jk
my cd drive finally opened, but cleaning it did nothing. ={
and can i put memtest86 on a flash drive instead?
i have no cds! also, i think i forgot to mention that if you leave the computer on for a while, the cd drive stops working!!!
i cant seem to find the model type.

·
Registered
53 Posts

I think you can only put them on Flash pens if you have a boot disk so you can get a CMD promt up and piont at the files

·
Registered
12,437 Posts

okay. first off. i love you!
hahahha -- :laugh: :heartlove :grin:
im jk
my cd drive finally opened, but cleaning it did nothing. ={
and can i put memtest86 on a flash drive instead? -- Yes I think you can do this but I doubt if your laptop can boot from a USB flash drive. It is much more complicated doing it that way than going with a blank CD. If you do not have blank CDs, blank DVDs will do as long as you have a DVD writer and the laptop has a CD/DVD drive.

i have no cds! also, i think i forgot to mention that if you leave the computer on for a while, the cd drive stops working!!! -- go with the blank CDs. They are very cheap in fact I was able to get 10 for $2 in a Salvation Army store. :grin: Hmmm... CD drive stop working after some time of use? Get a replacement. Clearly your laptop cannot live without one. If you are thinking of getting an external CD/DVD drive, you might as well invest for the internal one.

i cant seem to find the model type. -- turn the laptop over. On the bottom side you will see a label there showing model, type, part number, serial number. Copy everything (EXCEPT SERIAL NUMBER).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

i dont have a burnable cd! ARRGGH:mad:
but i am sure my sticks of ram are good
i had an old hardrive, which would boot to the desktop, and then would just start clicking, and then freeze and go to the BSOD.
so i replaced the hard drive.
and thats wat happened.
how can i find my model type, because i cant seem to find it?
and is there anything i can do to fix it (skipping the ram check)?
i am very confused:4-dontkno

·
Registered
12,437 Posts

i dont have a burnable cd! ARRGGH:mad:
but i am sure my sticks of ram are good -- are you sure? really, really sure? I suggest you go and get a few (buy or ask from a friend). As I said, they would help unless of course you want to pursue without testing the RAM. It is your decision.

i had an old hardrive, which would boot to the desktop, and then would just start clicking, and then freeze and go to the BSOD. -- can be caused by bad Windows, bad HDD, bad RAM or bad motherboard. Replacing the RAM is your cheapest option. Testing the RAM would help rule it out. Your call.

so i replaced the hard drive. and thats wat happened. -- did it help? I think not... :grin: That is why you need to look at it in a different perspective.

how can i find my model type, because i cant seem to find it? -- no sticker in the bottom side of the laptop?

and is there anything i can do to fix it (skipping the ram check)? -- replace the RAM with a good working one or you can go all the way and replace the motherboard or reinstall Windows (which I think you already did :sigh:). Again this is your call.

i am very confused:4-dontkno -- This is normal, I understand completely. It's your call if you still want to pursue, if not you can always go to the nearest repair shop for help. :grin:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

thanx
my laptop is very strange, but i have a friend who fixes computers (thank the lord!)
i will borrow a cd from him to burn memtest86, or try installing an older version of windows. so i will test the ram for sure, but it will take tomorrow because my friend is out for the day. So tomorrow i will check back with you. also, there is a sticker on the back, its just i am so bad at finding the model, that i will have to ask my friend because i probably will accidentaly give the serial #.
and thanks so much for the help so far triggerfinger and sectorcluster!:pray:
you have answered plenty of questions!!!

·
Registered
12,437 Posts

Do not worry about the model as it is not that important. You can send me a private message (PM) and list what you see in the label. That way, even if you include the serial number, it is not much of an issue. We just do not recommend posting the serial number here for your own protection.

Just post back what you find out. Cheers...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Great. Today i turned it on, i went to change the settings, before i could do anything, the computer screen slowly got all fuzzy, and i turned it off.
now whenever i turn on the computer, the screen is just black. There is no compaq sign.
i tried putting in my old hard drive and it didnt do anything. do i need a new mother board, or ram?

·
Registered
12,437 Posts

What happens when you power ON? What settings did you change? Did you even test the RAM? It would help if you can give more details on what you did or what exactly happened.

I get this feeling that you did not do the test that I advised you to do. So given the symptoms now, I think you need a new motherboard and a new RAM. Start with a new RAM if that do not change a thing, replace the motherboard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

okay, I couldn't get a burn cd in time to test the ram. But I didn't change any settings.when I turn it on, it just has a black screen now. Before It crashed, I could actually change the info and boot order. It just crashed. Is it still possible to test the ram?

·
Registered
12,437 Posts

okay, I couldn't get a burn cd in time to test the ram. But I didn't change any settings.when I turn it on, it just has a black screen now. Before It crashed, I could actually change the info and boot order. It just crashed. Is it still possible to test the ram?
If you can get any screen... YES. But if not then you do not have a choice but to skip the RAM test and replace it with a new one.

Does your computer shutdown (turn OFF) or it continues to boot but shows nothing on screen? Be very complete in your description so we can understand clearly your problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

well now the computer is back in it's original state. I'm sorry if I'm bugging you too much. I will try and get a cd to burn right now

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

wow! Long time no talk. I lost track of the website and I suddenly rememered it. I've now got a brand new desktop and I HAD a laptop. My moms friend gave it to me but it had a broken LCD so, I tore it open, and took any computer parts I needed. So I grabbed 512 mb of ram and put it in my laptop. I'm sure the ram works. I also installed windows xp pro on a new hardrive and put it in the compaq laptop.it still has the same problem even though I replaced the ram and the hard drive. What should I do?

·
Registered
12,437 Posts

Welcome back...

So what do you mean by 'the same problem'? Any errors that you see? How about hooking it up to an external monitor? I suggest you post the exact messages or description of the problem. Now if you mean you still do not get anything on screen then I do want you to test with an external monitor. And if I may add, do this without the hard drive installed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.