Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Toshiba TE2000 with valid PID.

Toshiba.jpg

Using this site as a reference, I have tried the Windows XP Professional OEM "WXPOEM_EN" label twice, because everything that I have read has said that the OEM versions are the most versatile. But the install fails because XP doesn't like the PID.

But doing trial & error on XP installs is time consuming, and I was wondering if there was a way of decoding the PID sticker in order to determine which XP label will work with this PID.

I've done extensive Google (and other search engine) searches on all of the text on the label, to no result. Nor have I been able to find any kind of reference that explains what the various codes mean (X08-73066, E85-01144, etc...), so any help there would be appreciated.

Also I'm interested in learning more about what the "1 - 2 CPU" means, and also that with this PID you can install either Win2000 Pro, or XP Pro.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Fren

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Re: Help Finding the Right XP Pro Disk ?

So what exactly is your problem. Are you wanting to reinstall but you lost your OS disc? I would call Toshiba and ask them if they can send a replacement. They will charge you a couple of bucks to do so but it will be cheaper than buy it new. To use those Product keys you will probably need an OEM OS disc.

XP Pro and 2000 Pro can run on a dual processor machine.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

So what exactly is your problem. Are you wanting to reinstall but you lost your OS disc? I would call Toshiba and ask them if they can send a replacement. They will charge you a couple of bucks to do so but it will be cheaper than buy it new. To use those Product keys you will probably need an OEM OS disc.

XP Pro and 2000 Pro can run on a dual processor machine.
I was given this laptop with no disk and a dead HD. I tried 2 different OEM disks, both at SP0. I'm looking for specific information (if it's available) on how to cross-reference a PID with an XP volume label. Or at least find out which disk I need to make this PID work.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'm going to mark this thread as "Solved" because my immediate situation was resolved this morning. I finally got the Product Key to work with an XP Pro disk that I had.

:4-clap:

HOW I got it to work is the interesting part. I'd like to keep this thread going, in order to have conversations with people interested in the idea of identifying XP disks that will work for a particular Product Key.

I happen to have a large number of various XP image files on my data HD, but I had no way to know which of those might work with my Product Key.

Within the Windows\386 folder there is a file named "setup.ini". When you view this file in notepad, it has a code called a "PID". Using a chart (I have somewhere, can't find it ATM) I discovered that the PID of the XP version I didn't have (and couldn't find) was the same as one that I did have. Apparantly, as long as the PID's are the same, the installation disks are interchangeable, as far as the Product Key is concerned.

Also, as a side-note, I also learned that the correct phrase for the long code is "Product Key" and not "Product ID" or "PID". The PID is something completely different. I find many people on the internet are using these words incorrectly, and that probably contributes to the lack of information on how to deal with a situation where the User has a legal Product Key, but no disk.

While well-intentioned, I find the standard answer of "contact the manufacturer and have them send you a disk" to be inadequate. I think it is bad enough that these companies send their computers out into the public with sub-standard hardware, loaded-down with bloat, crap and trialware and seem to be more of an obstacle to getting technical information (for self-support) than facilitating it's distribution, but to then advocate someone reward these companies by paying 20 or 30 dollars for a $2.00 disk that should have been included with the system in the first place crosses WAY over the line with me.

I WON'T pay them for the disk they should have sent, nor will I advocate that anyone else do so either.

Instead, I intend to try to find ways in which Users can solve their own problems, and not pay these companies a single penny.

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Interesting stuff... although I have not yet encountered an XP Pro product key that did not work with my full version of XP Pro. I have tried a few with XP Home (full) and that too, so far everything worked like a charm. I guess the problem really lies if one does not have a full/retail version of the installation CD like you said.

As for getting the recovery CD from the manufacturer... that is for me a cost effective solution. I got my full versions of XP for more than $100 each. On the other hand, I got my HP recovery CD for like $20. I agree with you that the recovery CD should be included already and not make consumers pay. But may be that is the reason why they put in a recovery partition or why one needs to make a recovery CD immediately after getting a new computer (yes, this is in fact encouraged as this is a much cheaper solution.. no need to buy anything, except of course the CD or DVD media). But going back to what I said about the cost... for sure one would rather spend $20 than get the full version that is $100+.

Of course there are other options... one can borrow an install CD if they have a legit Windows COA sticker on their machine (has the product key). Or they can go the peer to peer way (no consideration of legal matters here).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.