Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Folks,

Well, with Captainmark's help, I am now able to get my computer back online. This after removing a scary number of hidden files, etc. from a Zone Alarm download that I never even fully completed.

But now, when I try to send my computer into hibernation, I am getting a BSOD with the following message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A device driver attempting to corrupt the system has been caught. The faulty driver currently on the kernel stack must be replaced with a working version.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware of software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware of software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 t5o select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x000000C4 (0x00001001, 0XBA6EF280, 0x82908340, 0x00000000)

***ACPI.sys – Address BA6EF280 base at BA6D1000, Datestamp 41107d27

I had Nod32 on my computer, newly installed, and was suddenly getting a message about a problem with a kernel, but I removed the program. I haven't yet gone hunting for any leftovers it may have planted in the house, but I will be doing so.

Still, any help with translating the Blue Screen message and getting rid of ALL of these things so I can use my computer normally again (it faster than it was a bit earlier, but still a bit slow and hinky acting) would be GREATLY appreciated! :pray:

Thanks,
Kevalin

·
Registered
527 Posts
Re: Help! Back Online, but New BSOD w/Hibernate Command

Hi,

Bugcheck C4 is usually associated with the Driver Verifier. Did you have this running?

Go to C:\WINDOWS\Minidump. Copy the contents out to My Documents, then zip them up and attach them to your next post.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hi, Dracia,

Cool name!

Anyway, there was nothing in the Minidump; however, I finally got a BSOD telling me to check my memory and/or video cards. Considering how old my poor baby is, I wouldn't be surprised if both are shot...so I will check them out. As soon as I figure out how. :4-dontkno

Anyway, thanks for getting back to me...hopefully, one of these will be the issue, and I'll be able to get my computer up and working optimally again.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Do you have the system set to write minidumps when it crashes?

Alternatively, a memory.dmp could be in C:\WINDOWS but it is far too big to attach to this forum.

As for the name, it was created for me by a friend :p

·
Registered
141 Posts

Hi Kev,

We are going to need a bit more info to fix this one. ACPI.sys is power management and is probably a software driver issue. One of the programs is not handleing the hibernation and bootup properly.
You can turn on the event log writing in windows xp by:
1. right clicking on "my Computer
2. Select Properties
3 Select Advanced
4. Select Startup and Recovery settings
5. Turn on " write and event to the system log "
the location of the dump file should be in the screen being displayed.
6. Ok or apply out of the windows.
Also remember that memory may be indicated by windows when you have a problem with disk. Check the system event log to make sure you are not getting Bad block errors.

Again right click on my computer but select manage.
Select event viewer and look at the system log.

If you have errors with source being disk......Better do a backup. These can also result in BSOD.

One more...I have seen a number of posts where the disk cd/DVD burning software has been at fault. Do you have Sonic/Roxio installed??
http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18148&PN=3

·
Registered
527 Posts

I just thought of something
When you go into hibernate, the contents of the RAM is saved to the hard drive.

So if it is blue screening when you hibernate, perhaps something is not going quite right with this process of copying the contents.

If you system is set to write minidumps, and your page file is on the same partition as your Windows installation then it may be that you have set the page file size to be wrong. Is it a bigger size than your RAM?

I had to edit that last paragraph because I got some info from Jcgriff2 that I didn't know beforehand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hi, Spike, Dracia, Captainmark...

Well, okay, tried all that you all have asked. I got an "A-OK" on the memorytest, and computer insists that the minidump "recorder" has been on all the time, though it still will not copy anything into it.

I also went into Computer Managment and looked at the log--then I decided to try to send the computer into hibernation, turn it back on, and see what the log said. The computer when BSOD when I hit "hibernate" at 2:49:10, and all of the following error messages came up on the log at the same time:

"Printer Virtual PDF Printer failed to initialize because a suitable Virtual PDF Driver could not be found."

"The Avast! Antivirus service failed to start due to the following error: The parameter is incorrect."

"Kaspersky Anti-Virus failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified"
(I should hope not, since, after a great deal of hair-tearing and cursing, I had to go into Safe Mode to get the damn thing out of my computer yesterday. I couldn't turn it off or remove it any other way...).

"The HTTP SSL service failed to start due to the following error: the parameter is incorrect."

"The PfModNT service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified."

"The PC Tools Auxiliary Service service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified."

"The PC Tools Security Service service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified."

While I was typing this, my Yahoo Widgets Engine refused to start becuase "the parameter is incorrect." Nor is this the first program that's had that piece of news for me, though they usually start up fine if I try to restart them.

I had two other error messages come up when I crashed and started the computer at an earlier time (2:34:59 and 2:36:15):

"DCOM Server (078AEF33-C48A-49F7-AFF3-A0EE810BFE7C) was unable to start due to a "parameter is incorrect" error, and it "happened while starting this command: "C\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe-Embedding"

DCOM Server 1F87137D-0E7C-44D5-8C73 was also unable to start due to a "parameter is correct server" while starting the command "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe-secured-Embedding."

The Kaspersky adventure happened yesterday afternoon: I removed Avast earlier in the week (shortly before all of this trouble started, actually), because it seemed to be giving me a false positive every other time I tried to download anything, then it wouldn't let me download it.

But Oh, My Word! Kaspersky tried to eat my computer! It slowed my computer down so horribly that it was literally taking 20 and 30 minutes just to boot. It refused to exit or uninstall, even in Safe Mode. That's when I decided to just remove the entire folder (had to do that in Safe Mode, too)...but as I said, I know I didn't get rid of all of it. I just hoped I'd disabled it enough to let me run Avast, once I reloaded it.

I did, but I have to manually start Avast's realtime web protection by going into Services, and the computer will not let me change that function from manual to automatic...and obviously, it insists that Kaspersky is still on the computer. I'd like to get rid of it, since I think it's still slowing things down somewhat.

Anyway, I hope this information can be of some help in getting things back up to snuff. And if anyone can tell me how to go about checking the condition of the other hardware that might be a problem (specifically the video hardware), well, thanks.

Blessings,
Kevalin

·
Registered
527 Posts

You can use the Kaspersky Removal Tool: http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463

Never use Kaspersky, Norton/Symantec or McAfee on a Vista system. As things are now (they may decide to improve their programs in the future), these packages block local ports in Vista which prevent system services from running; which is why your system slowed to a crawl.

If you don't like Avast, you can try AVG, Avira, or a free 30 day trial of NOD32 which has been the best antivirus for me so far. I would keep it but I can't afford the subscription for the full version.

I would recommend BitDefender but it gave a lot of errors in Event Viewer about some components of it failing to start, so I was concerned about its ability to protect.

Edit: I forgot to tell you to run the Removal Tool as Administrator (Right-click, select Run as Administrator). Reboot when the tool has finished.

If you don't know how to reset the Windows Firewall then please do ask.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hey, Folks,

I'm back on!

I was going through "Services" because my re-installed Avast! anti-virus didn't want to auto-start some of its components, and I happened to find that there were still a couple of Nod32 services on the board. I disabled them, since I didn't know how to remove them, and went to bed greatly frustrated by the fact that I was still getting the BSOD when trying to hibernate.

I continued searching this morning with the idea of finding a program that could remove the Nod32 leftovers. I didn't find that, but I did find a program unistaller called Revo Uninstaller. Though I have the Your Unistaller program, I decided I'd give it a try, hoping it could find and remove the Nod files that were obviously still on my computer.

Revo doesn't find and remove "leftovers", but I was impressed with how thoroughly it removed a couple of programs I don't use anymore: easy-to-use interface, with options for how thoroughly you want to remove a program. I used the advanced level.

Meanwhile, I'd also concluded that the only way to get rid of the rest of Nod was to uninstall my re-installed Avast!, re-install Nod32, then remove Nod with the Revo program. And then (getting dizzy yet?) I was going to reinstall Avast! as my permanent anti-virus. Not my favorite idea, but Avast! seemed to be the only anti-virus program that wasn't trying to kill my computer instead of protect it.

Imagine my surprise when, after removing Avast! and restarting my computer, it immediately booted--without me having to reboot twice more then wait forever for my desktop to load. Still, I went ahead and reinstalled Nod, then got ready to uninstall it...

...But then I decided, "What the hell," and hit the "Hibernate" switch instead.

Well, damn if my computer didn't actually HIBERNATE. Several times. No BSODs, no slow (or non) reboots, no slow desktop wake-ups, no waiting forever for apps to run.

Apparently, the first time I removed Avast! to replace it with Nod32, something got left behind. The second time I removed it using Your Uninstaller, the mess didn't go away, either...and the Kaspersky adventure only complicated matters more. Revo Uninstaller removed everything, however.

Peace has been reestablished in my computer's world. I can quit using such terrible language in front of my family . :laugh:

Anyway, thanks everyone, for your help...I wouldn't have had a clue of where to start searching for the solution to this problem without your ideas.
Tech Support Forum has again saved me a great deal of money...and right now, that makes this community worth its weight and gold!

Call this one SOLVED!

Many Blessings,
Kevalin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.