Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all
I'am planning on updating my current Wrtg-54 to somethihg faster for wired and wi-fi.That's where my questions begin.
I'am running 2 wired Pc's and up to 3 laptops.No game console yet.I'am looking for stable performance.My ISP is ATT dsl with a 2wire branded modem.
I don't live in a congested area and my home is a 1700 ft ranch.When I find a router I like they seem to have lousy reviews on NewEgg etc.Also is the new IPV6 important for the router to be compliant with.My wife is a part time photographer and may end up moving large files to the network and on line as her craft develops.I've been looking at $79 to $199 units and my head is spinning.I had an easier time pick compents for the towers I've built and buying vehicles.
Any help would be great! Thanks again, Cardoc

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use the link dir-655 and recommended it to anyone looking to upgrade or replace. It is also the router I use when doing installs in residences. No complaints so far :? Good luck!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Head Spinning

Thanks
Udate,I just returned from Staples and the salesman was very helpful and advised me to purchase a Netgear N600 for value/cost and because the dual band could come in handy.He also informed me that all the modern routers should be IPV6 compatable.I don't see this listed any where but he insisted it's true.What do you guys think.I trust you more then the sales floor but he was very knowledgable.I've got 2 weeks return time.He also mentioned the N600 router/modem combo might speed up my ISP over the old 2wire unit supplied by Att.Any thouhts would be very helpful at this point.This is my only day off. Thanks,Cardoc

·
Registered
181 Posts

According to PC Magazine:

"...The N600 will delight wireless networking geeks because there are just so many features to fiddle with. It's also one of the first wireless routers I've seen with an area in the management interface for IPV6 settings, so whenever your ISP deploys IPv6, all you would need to do is enable IPv6 in the router. (Lynn, 2011)"

Source:
Lynn, S. (2011, March 06). Netgear n600 wireless dual band gigabit router. PC Magazine, Retrieved from Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (WNDR3700) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks all
Sounds like I've gone in the right direction.Now i've just got to figure out if my 2Wire Att modem is worth keeping.Thanks again,Cardoc

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question,I have not opened the wndr3700 box yet.One feature I was looking for was USB printer support.I don't think the wndr3700 offers it but for a little more the wndr3800 does.Any ideas about the quality of the latter.I don't mind spending more for better features.Any thought would be appreciatted.Thanks (a tired) Cardoc
I

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up buying the wndr3800.Works good,no problems.Bought this model because of USB printer support was an option I wanted.Setup wasn't bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.