Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Just today I bought a 10 meter HDMI cable. When I connect my TV with my Cable TV Decoder using the said HDMI cable, the decoder said that the TV does not support HDCP.

Since I once connected the TV to my PS3, I think the TV is HDCP-compliant. To further test the cable, I plugged it to my monitor, which is obvious HDCP-compliant since my VGA card said so and my HDMI TV Tuner also said so.

What happened? The decoder said the monitor is not HDCP-compliant.

There's no way the monitor is not HDCP-compliant, so I connected the decoder to my monitor using my PS3 HDMI cable.

Now the decoder works and I can watch the programme.

Based on this experience, the only conclusion is that the cable is not HDCP-compliant.

Question: Is there any way that I can distinguish between HDCP-compliant cable and non-compliant cable? I personally never read such case on the net.

PS: Here's a hope that I can get a refund on the cable~

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Re: HDMI-HDCP Cable Problem

My first thought would be a defective cable and any reputable business should replace it or return your money.
But 10M (33ft.) is a lot of cable and that distance may cause an issue.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

I'm just speculating. I've never had a use for a 10m cable and it has been reported that linger cables can distort signal.
Again, from the description you have posted, my first suspicion would be a defective cable so I would recommend exchanging it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks. I'll make a note of cable length :)

PS: I refunded the cable, thank god :D

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Hardwa
19,823 Posts
Length shouldn't be an issue. I'm using a 50ft cable in my setup, and you can buy cables longer yet.

10M = 32.8ft

As noted, it's likely a cable quality or fault. In any event, it's the easiest item to replace/test.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I've used $7 HDMI and $100 HDMI cables and see no difference in signal quality.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Length shouldn't be an issue. I'm using a 50ft cable in my setup, and you can buy cables longer yet.
Good to know. I've read the hype about length but never had a need for anything over 3M.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.