Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...

PROBLEM: __ Trying to restore a laptop HD to factory settings using 3 provided recovery files: retten.exe, retten.000, retten.001. I think these are exe versions of HDCOPY images.__

When I first got my laptop (Medion 6032), it contained 3 partitions (C,D and E). On the E drive there was a folder called /RECOVER which contained 3 files: retten.exe, retten.000 and retten.001.

Apparently, by using a boot up CD and executing retten.exe I would be able to restore the computer to factory settings (windows xp installed, drivers all working, etc.).

I backed up these 3 files over 3 CD's and just copied them back across to a FAT partition on the HD, rebooted and executed retten.exe. It appears this program is mostly in German and after getting to the point where I'm warned 'type 'start' to begin, WARNING DRIVE C: WILL BE FORMATTED' etc. I get the following message...

"Festplatte ist fur HDCOPY schreibgeschutzt, bitte erst freigeben"

I used google to translate this into English...

"Non-removable disk is for HDCOPY write protected, please only releases".

Can any1 help me understand why this isn't working? :confused:

The instruction manual doesn't offer any troubleshooting on this and when I try to search google all I can find are links to German forums, etc. which the translator doesn't work too well on.

Please help!!

Thanks in advance, :thmbup:
CK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I don' remember the partition sizes exactly, though I do recall that C & D = NTFS and E = FAT.

I used partition magic to convert the partitions back to these formats but the problem remains :no:

The error message seems to refer to write protection on the C: drive (???).... any idea how to remove it - if that's possible? I think it's to do with Windows XP, it really seems to dislike the idea of being removed from the HD!

·
Registered
2 Posts
CK1, did you ever find a resolution to this problem? I've recently come across this problem myself and am struggling to find a way to restore my laptop to its original shipping state.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Check the BIOS to see if Virus protection is enabled. Disable this feature. Hopefully this helps.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Have you also tried copying the files to the partition on the harddrive? Make sure to copy them to a fat or fat32 partition.

If you burned them to cd, they still have the Read-Only attribute.

copy them and find the file attrib.exe for win98 and boot with win98 disk.

at the dos prompt where the files are located type:(assuming a: was your boot drive)

a:\attrib -r *.*

Then try your exe file again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey idtent, thanks for the reply but not long after posting i found a solution to the problem on a dutch forum on the web!! Turns out that all i had to do was type "fdisk /mbr" then run the restore procedure.

For anyone else out there who experiences the problem, the exact procedure to follow is listed below:

1. Insert the Applications and Support CD into your DVD drive and restart
your machine.
2. On the restart a screen will appear "BOOT FROM HARD DISK" or "BOOT FROM
CD"
3. Press the 2 key to boot from CD.
4. Press E for English.
5. Then 2 For MS-DOS Prompt
6. Then type this command at the A:\ "fdisk /mbr" (without quotes) And
then press Enter
7. Restart the PC.
8. Press the 2 key to boot from CD.
9. Press E for English.
10. Press 1 on the keyboard for Setup Recovery.
11. Press Enter on the first red screen after the warning.
12. Now Type in "start" and press enter to start recovery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Hd Recovery (hdcopy)

sorry man!!!!!!
but that is wrong,all you do is type "FDISK" without the quotes dont add MBR or it wont work:pray:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.