Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Im currently working on a pc that is giving me a bit of a hassel, let me explaine the senorio:

Pc was working fine and all of a sudden the screen went black, i then restarted the pc considering that was my only option. I have some experience with computers, so i opened it up and replaced the Graphics card with a new one - PC boots up, POST is visible but once entering into few xp's desktop screen goes black, no beeps & all harware seems to be working.

I then replaced the PSU with a spare and same problem.
Replaced the RAM module and same problem.
Tested the Monitor & is working.
I have the motherboard outside the pc with new RAM, new PSU, new Graphics Card & original HDD connected but just wont boot into windows with normal display...?!

The Motherboard is an early p4 : ASUS P4V533-MX
RAM : 512MB PC400 New
PSU : Procase 300W New
AGP : ATI Radeon 9550GE
CPU : 2.4GB Cel Socket 478

Oh and i've did the whole trial & error with the onboard display - same prob.

Im thinking bout maybe putting a new Hard Drive on and reformating it, loading xp and retesting old parts?!

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Re: Hardware or Software issue?

Hi Sublime and welcome to TSF !

Have you tried safe mode or last known good configuration ? Repeatedly press F8 while windows starts.

If safe mode doesn't work with the dedicated video card then unplug the radeon 9550, reset the CMOS, enter the BIOS to check that the video is set to use the onboard GPU and try to get within Windows in safe mode with the onboard video.

Enter the BIOS at startup and tell us about the temps, fan speeds and voltages you'll see in the hardware monitor or pc health status screen (if there's such a screen).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I checked the temps in the BIOS and they sit stable at bout 24 - 28C and also checked the voltage's seems they all the right spec. It will not allow me to go into safe mode, nor will it let me do a repair or recovery console, plus last known config just gives black screen too... Everything seems to be configured in the BIOS.

I did though take the Maxtor HDD out and run it on another pc with a NOD32 Anti-Virus to check for virus's - none found.
Also checked the HDD with MaxBlast - no errors.
Final test, replaced the HDD with an older spare drive and loaded win98 just to test the whole system, worked 100%. I suspect that the problem lies in the Operating System, I am currently backing up the HDD and will begin a Clean Format / Reload. It seems i'll be doing things the long way this time, I'll keep you updated to what is the outcome.

Thanx for the Support.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts

I'd check the hard drive for errors before reinstalling : hook it to another computer, right-click the drive's letter => properties => tools => check now under error checking and tick both boxes to search and repair bad clusters.

What error message did you get when you tried to boot on the XP CD (recovery console) ?

We'll be around if there are still problems after the reinstallation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The Original drive has no bad clusters or sectors, just the OS is corrupt it seems. I wanted to use the Recovery Console to do a Chkdsk /f /r, normally that solves some probs iv had once before - this time it just kept asking me for a Administrative password and normaly i enter nothing in and continue but it wouldnt accept anything not even "admin" or "administrator" ect. It seems to be loading the system fine at the moment though.

Thanx for the support once again...

·
Registered
6,641 Posts

Is this some brand computer ? OEM or retail installation ?

If you're prompted to choose between 2 installations of Windows when you start the recovery console try picking the other one and see how it goes.

What happened when you tried the repair installation ? Did you use the CD that came with the computer ? Did you use a CD with the same service pack as the one that's installed on the computer ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.