Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey wanted to know if anyone could help, I've been on world of warcraft and the game would freeze sometimes come back, sometimes not. But i can still hear and talk on ventrilo. Its only been happening recently, getting the odd blue screen but it goes too quick before i can read it. I suspected it was a hard drive so downloaded seatools, and my maxtor drive came up with failed errors. My system is:

Gigabyte MA770 DS3 Rev2
AMD Athlon 7750 x2 Black edition
2 GB Kingston 800Mhz Ram
ATI 4670 512mb pci-e
1 250gb Seagate Sata Hard-drive
1 250gb Maxtor Hard drive Sata (suspected failing one)
Vista premium 32bit

Its strange because at first i thought must be wow but thats on the samsung hard drive and windows is on the maxtor. While writing this firefox went to not responding the start bar would click though so strange, then it all froze and came back on after 2-3 minutes. Surely if it was failing it wouldn't respond at all?

Please help

Dean

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Re: Hard drive failure

If it was the hard drive, it wouldn't "come back", it would just crash. I'm thinking that it's either your network card or internet connection. Try updating the driver.

As for your hard drive, I think those errors are unrelated to your game freezing, like I said, it would just crash. Get a new one before it's too late.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I've ordered one, just wasn't sure. I got two pc's same build on the same connection and its through Ethernet with updated drivers. Could it be the Ram, got some spare laying around might pop that in.

·
Registered
276 Posts

To see the BSOD Error Code: Start-Right Clik "My Compute-Properties-Advanced-"Startup and Recovery" select "Settings"-Uncheck "Automatically Restart"

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Cheers, so weird working perfectly now no problems at all. Oh saying that its freezing and coming back randomly.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

To see the BSOD Error Code: Start-Right Clik "My Compute-Properties-Advanced-"Startup and Recovery" select "Settings"-Uncheck "Automatically Restart"
excellent post here Joe,

Also do this for me, please post your (power supply unit and wattage) here
and your voltages, might as well post the temps too while your in there too (can be located in the bios) so we can get to the bsod issue and have your pc up and running like it should be again!...ty

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Just an update, forgot to mention i checked the administrative logs and had this a few times at one period after a BSOD - The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

Idle Temps:
Temp1:24c
Temp2:34c
Core:17c

In Bios the cpu reads 38c / through amd overdrive each core reads 19c.

The power supply is one from pc world fairly newish had it 4 months, 600w dual 12v rail 18a on each, so thought more than enough for a 4670 and a dual core amd.

Got these readings through speed fan:
vcore1: 1.33v
Vcore2: 1.94v
+3.3v: 3.33v
+5v: 5.03v
+12v: 12.22v
-12v: -15.98v
-5v: 1.68v
+5v: 3.66v
Vbat: 3.09v

What stuns me, is that the first pc i built it worked fine with this hard drive, then the pc messes up. I put it to the accident when it was new i had a spindle of blank cd-r's and at the top there is like that foam bung they place on, well that fell in the cd drive on top of a disc (vista disc). Couldn't get it out but it seem to work perfectly for a while then messed up. I presumed after a while it messed up the install because a bung was in my cd drive but hey ho wanted a new pc anyway. Kept the hard drives built a new pc works fine for say 2 months now it happens.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

WOW!...knowing this about the foam, especially that you built the pc and had money in this, and yet you continued using your cd rom????

Wish this was mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Ok simply replace your cd rom drive.

What happens any more blue screens????

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

That was the old system which was having blue screens, this new system with a problems its brand new all I re-used was the hard drives, which had a fresh install of vista. The majority of times i get it freezing and i have to restart it i get this over and over again in administrative log - The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

Ah sorry for the misunderstanding then, lets please stick the problem
on the pc we are working please, because as I am answering others too
it can get quite confusing, no problem though.

Ok lets get to the solution now then:

run checkdisk:

start
run
type
cmd
in command prompt
type
chkdsk /r (press ok) also notice 1 space between the k and /.
error cannot lock current harddrive
Run checkdisk on next reboot? (press) Y and hit enter
reboot pc now so it can run

post back with results and whether this fixed your pc of the problem or not.

Definition of checkdisk - Scans the file system and fixes or repairs the files.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Ok done that and got these:

During File data Verification: Bad sectors

\users\dean\appdata\local\mozilla\firefox\profiles\xz7yk7~1.def\cache\a87a1c~1

\system~1\{37257~2

·
God (TSF Enthusiast)
1,118 Posts

LOL. FireFox. Death of us all. I wish I could help more, but that's way too much jargon and I am way too low on caffeine. Not sure if you FF profiles are important, I mean, you can still run windows.

The allocation should be repairing itself... I think. If it's not, then you might need to XXclone your drive and start over.

If a sector's data is corrupt, it can often be reconstructed using ECC error correction. If the sector is too unreliable to store data again, it will be reallocated; the sector is taken out of service and replaced by one from the 'spare pool'. The spare pool is a group or multiple groups of spare sectors available on any modern hard disk.
You can detect unreliable sectors by scanning your disk's surface with DiskPatch.

If the data from a sector can not be read even after error correction, it becomes pending for reallocation; it is not yet automatically swapped.

On write an error-producing sector is reallocated if any of the 2 following events occur: - a sector can not be written to, or - the sector written to is pending reallocation.
That's an excerpt from http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/kb_badsectors_article.htm

I hope it helps more than I did ^_^

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

Ok I see, heres what I want to do now

Backup all data that you want from the harddrive a.s.a.p. if anything important you need off of the drive.

Now next go here and get a utility for the drive:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If your harddrive is not listed or doesnot have a utility for it?
try seatools then , it does most of other harddrives...if not...

then go here and get 1 of these to test the hard drive:

dban - http://www.dban.org/download
killdisk - http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

run a harddrive test on the harddrive.

Note: My instinct here says the hard drive is failing and you need to replace it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Ran Seatools -

S.M.A.R.T tset - Pass
Short Drive self test - Fail
Long drive self test - Fail
Short Generic - Fail
Long Generic - Fail

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

ok well theres your solution - a failing harddrive - I hope you backed up data properly
so when new you get the harddrive you can reinstall your files to it.
Also if you need any help on installing windows on your new harddrive just post back and we would be glad to help you.

You can mark post solved under thread tools near the top of this page.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Ok what I have done is backed all my data to an external hard drive, took the maxtor drive out and put the seagate as the master and installed vista from a clean install on that. New western digital 320gb drive comes friday so will put that in and place the rest of my files on there, when i get round to installing it. Thanks for your help, note to self: dont buy maxtor their noisy and fail :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.