Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my grandma is buying a new laptop and needs advice on what to get. it needs to be very user friendly (grandpa just learned what wi-fi was yesterday). here are the other topics...

Budget: under $1,000 preferably below $800 (though i know this may be unrealistic)

Screen: doesn't really matter, probably 16-17"

Brands: dont care

Mobility: needs to be pretty mobile and have a long battery life

Durability: i dont imagine that it will need to be terribly durable

Multitasking: they probably dont understand this concept so it needs to be able to have word docs open, run internet, and do some other stuff at the same time

Gaming: hardly any, the last game i saw her play was mist...

Calculations: need i say anything?

Storage: 100gb would be good

optical media: yes, needs cd/dvd burner for pictures and music

operating system: whatever you think most user friendly

thanks a lot guys

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
Re: Grandma's Buying a New Laptop

imo, just go to your local walmart for a general usage laptop, Walmart sells hp and dells. The only thing you may need extra is additional ram. Besides Walmart does not have restocking fees if returned within so many days.

You will not get office but you can download openoffice which is a free office suite that is microsoft compatible (pre2007).

one thing to remember, running office and getting larger screens will kill battery life. Also larger screens can make laptops heavy.

·
Oh! What shall I be?
2,740 Posts
Re: Grandma's Buying a New Laptop

I have a Toshiba Satellite A215 and i like it, 15 inch wide screen, cd/dvd burner. Only thing, like said, the screen does kill the battery and the weight. The weight is not too bad, but the battery only lasts 2 hours (its not the extended battery), and that is in class, so just Microfot word and rarely the wireless. Also that is with the screen set to the dimmest settin. But the screen is farely bright even then.

As for why i got a toshiba.. I want a IBM Lenovo X61, but am saving the money up for now since when i get that one, i wan it to have everything and i would need the dock which costs $300 alone. Besides Tshiba, there is HP, Dell, and acer which are decently priced. Dells, i heard a lot of bad about frm friends, HP, reading only (and previosly owning a HP desktop) the motherboards don't seem to last. Aceri heard good things about though, and Toshiba i am just taking a chance but th few reviews i heard were good.

For the operatng system: This depends, I would either go with Vista or XP Pro. Vista is said to be safer with virus and everthing, but XP Pro has aready been time tested and works well. Vista there are still some bugs that i see a lot. Windows will probably be the easiest for them but you can look into getting a Mac, but those generally cost more. Linux and others like that are not as well know and probably will be harder.

I would sugest looking for an older, out of date but still new laptop. Like clearence or something. It will not be the fastest, but word processing and internet do not take a lot.

Some of this reflects my opinions and therefore do not listen to what i say if you do not what to. Also if you want to see m computer, click My System on the left and i filled out everything i could there.

Hope any of this helps you and good luck. If more questions feel free to ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.