Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HP dv 6000 laptop , windows vista home preimium
Problem : temp high checked by speed fan software, GPU-63°C, Core1- 53°C, core 2 - 53°C, shutting down by itself after 15-20 minutes of run.
please tell me any other software i can try before i open the case .
Thanks

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
Re: GPU and core temp high ? please help?

Hi -

Are they the highest the temps get?

GPU-63°C = 145°F
Core1- 53°C = 127°F
Core2- 53°C = 127°F

I sometimes run an HP dv7 w/ themp higher than those. But I do shut it down to allow it to cool off, too. It does freeze sometimes requiring a hard shut down.

Have you cleaned the system w/compressed air?

How old is the laptop?
Is Vista SP2 installed?
Updated drivers?
How old is it?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

This is the fresh installation of vista so i m still in update process , but the problem is i cant run it for a long time so kind of unable to install many updates yet. If i am not wrong this laptop is not more than 1.5 yrs old. I have't got chance to unscrew it yet so cant say for sure if there is lot of dust accumualated around fans. i can hear the fan running. it dont freeze or hang up it just shut down right away after 15-20 minutes of running. Yes i updated all the drivers ,activated vista already and vista is working fine.
Could you please tell me if i can run any other test within these 15-20 minutes before i open it. what must be the right temperatures for GPU and cores ?? i m not sure if temp i am getting are too high or not.
Thanks for your help , waiting for your reply

·
Registered
381 Posts

Use a cab of dustoff or similar canned air airolsol and give the fan vent on the underside of the laptop a good blast of air. This should blow out any fluff around the fan. Also make sure the laptop is on a firm flat surface (not actually on your lap). Also what sort of ambient temperatures are you getting.
The temperatures you are getting should not cause a shutdown. If you are in a warm environment (30c or more) then your mobo temperatures will be higher than average. Does the computer only shutdown when on battery or when using mains supply as well.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

its not running on battery at all, i guess battery is totally drained now and i have to replace it. Its only running on main supply. Do you think it has to do something with the adapter or should i try it with another adapter. Only weird thing with this laptop is its charging light is always flashing, no matter if i plug out main supply or hold power button for few seconds. it just keep on flashing which i dont understand why ?? any suggestions ?? Only way to stop it is to just take out the battery.

·
34,376 Posts

Hi -

I had quite a battery issue with a laptop - it would not boot up b/c of the batter not being charged during a re-install of Vista. These days, I don't have the battery in at all.

The next time it reboots - take the battery out. The system cannot fully charge it and if like mine, it gives you about 3 minutes of up-time running solely on the battery.

No issues with the Vista re-install? Did you use DVD or recovery partition?

jcgriff2

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I am not relying on battery anymore and running it all the time on main supply. i installed it from DVD coz i just replaced hard drive. DO you think if i will take the battery out it will solve my problem ??

·
34,376 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks a lot for your help jcgriff2 and steveb1234 so far .. i appreciate your help ...anyways install was all good no problem at all .. as i mentioned windows vista is working perfectly fine too ..i m at work right now .. after 3 hours i will reach home and try replacing adapter with my universal adpater and i will completely remove the battery from the laptop to check if there is any problem because of battery. I will get back to you around after 4 hours from now.
Thanks
Bindu Dhindsa

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Okay guys here what i tried so far ..
i removed the battery and tried it with same adapter and it worked like a charm .. i finished all the available updates and it never shut down or restarted even for 4 hours of continious play.
Just to make sure i put back the battery in my laptop and its working okay with battery too . i left it on for whole night with few windows open and it never got restarted or shut down even with battery on too ..
i dont know what solved the probelm but thanks a lot to you guys for your time and effort .. i appreciate your help
I am marking this thread as " SOLVED" ..thanks again guys ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.