Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[SOLVED] Getting "Page cannot be displayed" after an hour after restart

Hey everyone,

I have had this problem for about a week now, and I have tried everything I know of to figure out what it is, with no luck. Hopefully someone has seen a problem like this before and can help.

I am running XP, SP2. I will browse the net, and after about an hour after start-up, I will get the "Page cannot be displayed" error on all pages I visit. I had Norton installed, took it off. I had IE7 installed, reverted to IE6, no help. I reset my Winsock through the CMD box, nothing. I ran the Network diagnostic, and it said I have a Winsock catalog error, but resetting it does nothing. ALl this time, I am still connected to the internet, because downloads, uploads and whatnot continue.

I tried running the WInsock fix program, nothing. Once I restart, I am fine for an hour or so, then it happens again. I can't make an HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP connection. No firewall installed, other than WIndows Firewall. I have a DSL connection. I have cycled the Modem. I am at a loss. ANyone?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Getting "Page cannot be displayed" after an hour after restart

I have tried resetting IE, but not trying another browser. I will get Firefox (planned on it anyway) and see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

OK, sorry for the delay, but this weekend was pretty crazy. So, I get home and am about to download Firefox, and I see my uTorrent is not up. so I turn it on, and bam, can't see the webpages. Turn it off, bam. Can see webpages. It has to do with if uTorrent is running. SO in response to this thread, it is fixed (the culprit is known). However, now I am figuring out why THAT is happening, but I know that is not ya'lls forte. Thanks for taking the time to respond to me and help me out. I know ya'll get lots of posts here, so it's nice to know you can get a reply here. And if anyone ran into this problem with uTorrent, let me know what you did. Thanks especially to Go The Power. It seems like you really know what you are talking about, and why you don't charge for this, I'll never know...

·
TSF Emeritus
15,079 Posts

hello again danny :wavey:

No problem for the delay. I am glad to hear you found the problem, unfortanly we are not allowed to help with users hvaing problems with P2P software, it says so in the rules:

P2P

We believe that the main purpose of P2P programs is to illegally download and use copyrighted material of whatever description. We further understand that there may be legal uses for P2P, but as we are not able to assess a user's intent when he/ she asks for help, we do not support P2P software and we will not assist any user in this regard. This includes but is not limited to Bearshare, Kazaa and many others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Totally understandable. I'm just glad I found a place that is knowledgable in case (when) I have another problem. Thanks again for the replies, and I will be sure that whenever I have a problem, here is where I'll come.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.