Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im running Windows XP SP3 and every time I start the computer I get the error "Generic Host process for Win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenienece." I think it happened because I ended one of the svchost.exe through the "end process" option in task manager because of high cpu , so now after the error comes up the themes stop working (it switches to the old classic theme.) and sometimes the audio of my computer stops working. Looking at Process Explorer I see that the "Generic Host" it's referring to is the svchost.exe that controlls the most services (the list of services is longer than the other svchost.exe's). I see that it disappears after the error and it occasionally comes back and leaves again but with a shorter list of services it's controlling. I tried doing a system restore but it didn't do anything. So I want to know how to stop the svchost.exe "generic host" from crashing. I appreciate any help.

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,292 Posts
Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 needs to close

do you keep on ending svchost.exe, or does Generic Host process crash by its self?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The Generic Host keeps crashing by itself now everytime i boot up, it's like one of the first things it does then shortly after that the theme switches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ok , I seem to have fixed the problem. Since I also had my browser hijacked i was looking for a solution and came across TDSS Killer from Kapersky. After running it and rebooting the Generic Host didnt crash.

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,292 Posts

can you give the link, as it seems some one else is having the same problem

thank you for posting back

Also please go to thread tools at the top of the page and mark the thread as solved
thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.