Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a really strange mystery problem.Yesterday i upgraded my video card from a 7600GS for a 8600GT every thing works fine.Until i start playing a video games the UPS device that powers up my PC .Starts to beep like overload some thing like that as soon i stop playing it stops beeping.I never had a issue with the UPS device until yesterday the UPS device is nothing high tech.I have the type of UPS that the battery is not changeable one use only i think.Thanks in advanced any help would be great

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
Re: Geforce 8600 conflict with ups?

what power supply do you have in the computer,before upgrading did you check that you had sufficent power for the new card
the 86 only pulls a bit above the 76 have you tried connecting without the ups

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts

I agree, there might be an IRQ conflict through the PCI-E slot and USB port for the UPS (if you have the kind with USB interface) though that is unlikely. You may just be pulling too much power overall, or too much for one rail.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Thanks for the quick reply i have 500 psu and the manufacture of the video card asks for 350w.With out the psu the pc works fine.When i'm playing some games the psu starts to beep.No i don't have the type of psu that connects via the usb just a plain looks like a surge protector only difference it has a battery.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

what the video card recommends usally has no relativity to what you need to run the computer
in most cases you can just about double the recommendation
your last post needs deciphering
With out the psu the pc works fine.[psu= power supply]
when it starts to beep it may be your tempretures causing the problem or your voltages
you can run this on screen so you can monitor them as it is happening
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/SensorsView-Download-29890.html
what brand is your power supply

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sorry i meant the ups when i connect directly the pc works normally,but when i start a game and the ups connected it beeps.The power supply i have is a Ultra Xfinity 500 about 4 months old.When there is load on the pc i think it beeps to like opening application's and other programs.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts

Sorry i meant the ups when i connect directly the pc works normally,but when i start a game and the ups connected it beeps.The power supply i have is a Ultra Xfinity 500 about 4 months old.When there is load on the pc i think it beeps to like opening application's and other programs.
what is the rating on the UPS? a 500 watt power supply probably pulls close to 7 or 8 amps (about 900 AC watts are equal to 500 DC watts) if it's under full or heavy load...otherwise it should be around 5 amps/600 AC watts. if you have a CRT monitor, it's worth about 3 amps, 1.5 amps for a flatpanel. My whole computer rig pulls about 12 or 14 amps through 3 power strips from what i've figured up.

Tower- 5 amps
flatpanel- 1.5 amps
CRT- 3 amps
audio- 2 amps
steering wheels- 1 amp each (2 total)
printer is probably half an amp when on, which is hardly ever.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Looks like it was a power issue i did unplug my LCD monitor.And there was no more beeping until now hope that was it.Seems that was the problem the UPS could not handle both the PC and the LCD monitor .Thanks for the help guys

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts

Looks like it was a power issue i did unplug my LCD monitor.And there was no more beeping until now hope that was it.Seems that was the problem the UPS could not handle both the PC and the LCD monitor .Thanks for the help guys
I just now looked at your system, and I'd sy you're getting your money's worth from that power supply and probably drawing 400 or more watts. So you probably have a kilowatt UPS and you're running up against it's threshold.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yes seems that the UPS has reach it's power max.I'm going to check a bigger one with more juice.Thanks for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.