Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all am pretty new to all this and i am here after hours of frustration :(

Recently I have purchased an additional 2 gig of ram for my home computer and so far was running great, applications run faster etc etc, however as soon as i went to play games which i had been playing just meer hours before they get about 3 minutes into the game and completely freezes resulting in a total system crash, i have tried everything downloading updated patches for sound/video even my printer in vain hope and still just three minutes of game play. The ram i have bought meets all specifications and is the same as what was in the computer originally what can be causing me so much heartache?

BTW i have a geforce 6150LX graphics card which will be upgraded to a Geforce 8400GS graphics card very soon

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Re: Games crash after 3 minutes of play!

ok first what games are you playing? That video card is very low end , I used to have a 6200le and i remember that it totally sucked.

Next what are the rest of your specs? What's your cpu make and model and what wattage is your power supply? Also is it ddr or ddr2 that you are useing?

And finally, an 8400gs is also a very low end card. At minimum get an 8500 to get some decent play out of your games. If you upgrade to an 8400 yull be upgradeing to a newer low end card. 8500's will give you much better performace and you'll thank yourself in the long run. They also dont cost much more then the 8400.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I am playing simple games such as command and conquer red alert and the most top end being rome total war and black and white 2, I have done what you said and have upgraded to a 8500 card.

The other specs of the comp has a Athlon 64 (O) 3500+ 2.2 GHz base processor, an Asus A8M2N-LA motherboard all running on DDRII SDRAM (4gb)

The issue now seems to be spreading to main computer functions i.e the computer seems to be freezing whenever I run internet applications after a long period of time and only on internet websites needing some kond of graphics attention could I have too much ram for my graphics crad?

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts

Does the problem still occur without the new memory you installed? Try takeing the new memory out and test the pc to see if the problems still occur.

Have you tried a disk defrag or reinstalling the os since you got the new memory? When you get your new 8500 , that would be a good time to defrag or reinstall the os.

Also what is the wattage of your power supply? if your power supply is 400watt or lower , it may be the cause of the problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The power supply is definately over 400 its 500 and something, I have taken out the new ram and surprise surprise everything works superb, when I get the new graphics ill input it all then that should hopefully solve all my problems i will keep all posted when i have the news

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

ok so fitted everything today, after a brief misconseption of not uninstalling the original nivdia drivers (doi) i installed the new graphics and ram, great everythings working installed the new drivers left to run for five minutes to see if any errors come up, well no errors however my screen suddenly goes blank, i attempt to restart and the magical three long beeps start ringing, i took out the new ram and loan behold everythings fine again, i have f**k all ideas about wats wrong with this new ram but hey i dnt care everythings running so much better anyway new graphics are amazing thanks for the 8500 sugestion

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

i got the nvidia geforce 8500gt 512mb graphics card, runs great :D. however i been told 2day that my ram runs as 1,3 2,4 for my different types of ram, i didnt think there was any difference because my rms made by the same manufacture with the same specs however im going to attempt this and see if it works

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

it works!!!!, i simply placed my new ram in slots 1 and 3 and my old in slots 2 and 4 now everythings running great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.