Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The .gadget files I recently downloaded are not installing. I am using some custom gadgets that I got a while ago so I know that it has worked in the past, but recently, when I downloaded a new gadget, windows said that it did not recognise the file type (.gadget) so i associated the .gadget file type to windows sidebar (by recommendation on another forum) but when I double click the .gadget file for installation, it only brings the sidebar to the front and doesn't install it. I have checked in the 'Add gadgets' window and the only ones that are in there are the default ones and the ones I installed a long time ago.

I have noticed something else as well, the gadgets that I installed a while ago do not appear in the gadgets folder in 'c:\program files\windows sidebar\gadgets' or in 'c:\program files(x86)\windows sidebar\gadgets'.

Could someone please tell me how to get my gadgets working again, thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: .gadget files not installing

There is no system restore point beyond 5-30-2008 for some strange reason. Although I have used system restore before to try and fix a problem I had a while ago. I'm not sure but I think using system restore deletes all the other restore points. Anyway, the main thing is I can't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've marked this as solved although it isn't really solved as It still won't recognise new gadgets, but I've managed to install them manually. So I can now use the gadgets again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
What I found on my Vista for the not installing gadgets is this: I have a french Windows, and the not installing gadgets had the gadget.xml file in language sub-directory ! So I moved the files and folders within the en-US to the gadget folder, and deleted the language folders to keep it clean. Then just reopen the picker window (I read the picker thing on Microsoft support site) and it will read all new gadgets automatically.
Hope this trick help some...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.