Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a older P4 2.4Ghz system in which I just put a new graphics card, and the max capacity(2gig) ram. I also replaced the heatsink and fan, and two case fans.
I rebooted after the ram and video card replacement and everything was normal. My workmate tried to show me how to overclock the processor in BIOS, but I now realize he didnt know what he was doing. He change the BIOS to high performance. We restarted and the hd wouldnt boot. Upon investigation it wouldnt even spin/power up. The circut board looked like it had been hot but no shorts. The bios has been reset to factory. Anyways... this is the background of the problem.

SO I grabed a spare hd and tried to load XP on it. My system would load it at all. So I swapped it in a differnt system and XP Sp2 formated the hd and loaded up just normal. I then took the hd w/newly installed xp and put it in my system. It wont boot up. It continues to restart after I select any of mode (safe, last known good, normal, etc.) it shows the white bar loading and then restarts.

OK... so then I grab the XP cd and load from cd and it goes into the windows setup screen, loads all of the drivers and what-nots, then it reads windows setup is starting windows. Then a second later BSOD with UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

STOP: 0x000000ED
(0x89B431E8,0xc0000010,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I have put this hd in three other systems and it will boot fine. So I can only assume that it is a hardware issue. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Fresh XP install restart loop before loading...

Well today I bought a new hard drive thinking that the other one was bad... however I get the exact same problem. A brand new 160gig wd hard drive with jumpers set to cable select still gives me the unmountable_boot_disk error.

I almost know that it is something to do with the configuration of BIOS and the hard drive. It just has to be doesnt it?

Can anyone help me? Please!

·
Premium Member
19,794 Posts

tell about your power supply and what graphic card?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I have a 400w psu and my graphics card is a AGP "ZOGIS" 256mb 128bit GeForce FX5500.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I put in the WD hard drive utilities boot disk and it hangs on the Level 13 check line. I have tried other hard drives that are working in other computers and I get the same errors, so I am returning the new hd to save 75 bucks.

I have tried taking out the new ram and putting in the old 512 sticks, no difference. With the new ram still swapped out I put in the old gpu and still no difference. I am completely stumped as to what the problem is.
If the xp sp2 boot cd will not work with a brand new hard drive, I have to assume that the issue lies with something other than the hard drive.
Would mb issue cause these symptoms. Insight from a seasoned tech would be great... any thoughts?

·
White Hat ;)
1,234 Posts

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME could mean that there is something wrong with the IDE/SATA controller. You reset the BIOS to defaults, but it still does this?

If you remove the new video card and boot with onboard video, what happens?
Overclocking without adequite cooling may cause things to melt and never work properly again...

The Pentium 4 runs quite hot as-is, I can't imagine anyone attempting to overclock it without liquid cooling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Have you tried a new IDE ribbon?
I just did... it now loads the setup program and I doing a xp install repair.

Wow... I feel a little disgruntled towards this system for it to be something so trivial. However it has finished repairing so I am not out of the woods yet... but much closer ... thank you for that suggestion:wave:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME could mean that there is something wrong with the IDE/SATA controller. You reset the BIOS to defaults, but it still does this?

If you remove the new video card and boot with onboard video, what happens?
Overclocking without adequite cooling may cause things to melt and never work properly again...
QUOTE]

Yes I reset the BIOS to defaults I removed the battery for 20 mins...

I dont have onboard video with the mb... so...

I havent actually overclocked anything yet. And I def will not try with this system. Thanks.

·
White Hat ;)
1,234 Posts

So, it can be a burned ribbon cable too?! I must remember that one!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Yep... I will remember next time when checking out components to check the ribbons as well. I guess that only part of the ribbon was faulty as it will run the optical devices fine. What the heck.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have a older P4 2.4Ghz system in which I just put a new graphics card, and the max capacity(2gig) ram. I also replaced the heatsink and fan, and two case fans.
I rebooted after the ram and video card replacement and everything was normal. My workmate tried to show me how to overclock the processor in BIOS, but I now realize he didnt know what he was doing. He change the BIOS to high performance. We restarted and the hd wouldnt boot. Upon investigation it wouldnt even spin/power up. The circut board looked like it had been hot but no shorts. The bios has been reset to factory. Anyways... this is the background of the problem.

SO I grabed a spare hd and tried to load XP on it. My system would load it at all. So I swapped it in a differnt system and XP Sp2 formated the hd and loaded up just normal. I then took the hd w/newly installed xp and put it in my system. It wont boot up. It continues to restart after I select any of mode (safe, last known good, normal, etc.) it shows the white bar loading and then restarts.

OK... so then I grab the XP cd and load from cd and it goes into the windows setup screen, loads all of the drivers and what-nots, then it reads windows setup is starting windows. Then a second later BSOD with UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

STOP: 0x000000ED
(0x89B431E8,0xc0000010,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I have put this hd in three other systems and it will boot fine. So I can only assume that it is a hardware issue. Any thoughts?
ok,thats so normal for your windows to load normally because even if you increase the cpu and change the video card nothing will change because the (512mb)ram and the (4gb) of ram boot the same nothing will change and so nothing will change and the same for the video cards and ..etc (not alwaysas the year or model of the video card) and thats normal that when you put you windows xp cd in the cd-rom to open windows xp setup and show your partitions of the hardisk ok here it is how to fix the problem of the pc restart:
first:put the cd and restart your pc it will dow a black screen wrote on it (boot from cd) press any key the window setup will be restarted wait till it loads and shows you the prtitions of your harddisk choose the partition that you all ready copyed on it the windows xp and press enterthen choose format ntfs or fat partition if nothing of these shows choose change partition to ntfs of to fat and then after it finishs choose use same folder and delet old files ot press l and then it will check the drive you have choosen and delet the old windows and then installs installation files and then continue installing windows and i am sure that u know how and lets go back if the format ntfs or fat partition shows (the the other one) choose the third one from the bottom(or any one that formats the partition)and also then continue installing windows and also if after u end the menu shows again and says safe mode,vgs mode with networking enable......etc choose the first one from the bottom (start windows normally)
ok i hope your pc work again normally and faster than before :wave:

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts

Yep . . I've seen it a few times . .

Glad you ae back up and running.

You can mark this thread as solved by clicking on the Thread Tools link in your first post . .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.