8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using WinXP SP2.

My 160G hard disk has four partitions:
C: 26G
D: 35G
E: 80G
F: 14G

My E: drive says it has 32G, free space. This is after I methodically deleted all unnecessary files. I know that the drive does not have approx. 50G of files on it!

I wish to reclaim at least 20G, hopefully 30G of space, that it says is not available.

I just performed a few virus/trojan scans and the drive is clean.
I also removed a bunch of restore points that were set for this drive.
I also just turned off restore points for this drive, which had been set to 12% of drive size.
When I checked the space available, this resulted in no new reclaimed space!

Does anyone here have tips on how I can reclaim at least 20-30G of disk space that I know does not contain files?

What steps do I need to perform to achieve this?

TIA

P.S. my other 3 drives do not have this problem (all of their taken space is legit).

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,502 Posts
Re: Free up disk space

Hi,

I would recommend that you have a look at Auslogic disk-defrag. It is a free program that you can download and defrag your computer with. It works the same way that the windows defrager does but just faster. That is where I would start at.

Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi,

I would recommend that you have a look at Auslogic disk-defrag. ....That is where I would start at.

Cheers!
Thanks wmorri for your help!

I downloaded and ran the Auslogic defrag on my E: drive.
It didn't take long to defrag it and when it was completed
I ended up with the exact same amount of free space as before,
approx. 30G free space and approx. 50G disk space taken.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

I'm thinking of copying all of the files to another hard drive, formatting the E: and then copying the files back. Not sure if I should do this at this stage, or whether it would do the trick.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts

TreeSize gives you a great GUI that shows you what directories has how much data, listed in order largest to smallest.

·
Registered
18 Posts

well here i use SequoiaView to free up space it shoaws you a graphical image of you harddrive and it shows you the diffrent file sizes its a great tool to use you can ussaly find lost data to. I just freed up 20 gig out of a 80 gig hd of usless **** that i dont use anymore. and actully i found some files i lost like 3 years ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

TreeSize gives you a great GUI that shows you what directories has how much data, listed in order largest to smallest.
Hey Frenjamin, You da Man!
This is exactly the tool I needed to find out what was going on.

I discovered that all of the space was being taken legitimately,
but a good chunk was being taken by a program (BIAB) that I allowed to install files, with the intent of deleting unnecessary ones later on.
I never got around to the deleting part, I forgot.

This is a great tool that everyone should have and use!
I'm going to get back at least 10-15G now.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

well here i use SequoiaView to free up space it shoaws you a graphical image of you harddrive
Thanks Noel for your suggestion. Just for fun I downloaded and tried SequoiaView. It's uh...kind of a weird, 'spacy' type program.
I personally prefer TreeSize.

·
Registered
18 Posts

yeah ill need to check out tree space i just like seqoia becasue it phisically showed me what was taken up the most space but yeah ill check out tree space or w/e it was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.