Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Ok, Here goes,

I had loads of problems on my last computer with the user profile files linking themselves to other files, so i backed up what i could online, and reformatted.
anyway today i downloaded all my files to the desktop and watched each of teh 600 files download. However when i went to transfer them to my main file, they had GONE!!!!

The folders containing the files ar ethere, but the files are not. when i click on proerties the folder has 30MB in it, but no photos. The folder isnt set to hide anything so where on earth are they?

now my user profile is called susan and its on my D drive, and in that file i have the usual folders such as pictures, videos etc, the folders i dowloaded were called other and pictures, the route of teh pictures file was C:/users/desktop/pictures

now i know this has something to do with the stupid linking of shell files, but this is ridiculous. i have searched by photo name and everything but can find where on earth these files are.

Now to add insult to injury, I cant delete the pictures file from my desktop with out deleting the pictures in my users pictures file.

God i hope i make sense to somebody. any ideas.

·
Banned
3,394 Posts
Re: Files Vanished

I would suggest you make sure you have full permissions for the folder and files. Right click on the folder and go to properties... actually hang on, download the attachment, and zip and double click on the reg file to install. View attachment Taking Ownership in Vista.zip

It will put a "take ownership" menu on your right click button. Then right click on the offending folder and select Take Ownership.

Tell me how that goes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thankyou for yoru reply.
I did that, and i saw it go through all my missing files, but when iclicked on the folder it was still empty.

At least i know these files exist, I just cant see them lol... ok any other ideas?

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts

Hi everyone,

Ok, Here goes,

I had loads of problems on my last computer with the user profile files linking themselves to other files, so i backed up what i could online, and reformatted.
anyway today i downloaded all my files to the desktop and watched each of teh 600 files download. However when i went to transfer them to my main file, they had GONE!!!!

The folders containing the files ar ethere, but the files are not. when i click on proerties the folder has 30MB in it, but no photos. The folder isnt set to hide anything so where on earth are they?

now my user profile is called susan and its on my D drive, and in that file i have the usual folders such as pictures, videos etc, the folders i dowloaded were called other and pictures, the route of teh pictures file was C:/users/desktop/pictures

now i know this has something to do with the stupid linking of shell files, but this is ridiculous. i have searched by photo name and everything but can find where on earth these files are.

Now to add insult to injury, I cant delete the pictures file from my desktop with out deleting the pictures in my users pictures file.

God i hope i make sense to somebody. any ideas.

Hi and welcome to TSF.

I need to ask some questions to get a better handle on your situation, OK?

1. Where is the Vista OS installed - on drive c: or d:?
2. Where did you copy the 600 pictures to your desktop from - a DVD, USB, elsewhere on the d: drive (another folder in you user profile), c: drive, etc. . .
3. Are you logged on with an admin account?
4. Are you familiar with the "net user" command?
5. Have you MOVED any files or folders on this system?
6. Do you know of the "Tree" structure of folders and files - i.e., given the path d:\users\YOUR-USER-NAME\desktop that desktop is a folder within the YOUR-USER-NAME folder which is a sub-folder of users in the root of d: drive?
7. When you performed the Search, did you change an "Advanced Search" and change the setting to "Everywhere" v. "Indexed Locations"?
8. You say that on your last PC there were problems with the "user profile files linking themselves to other files" - what exactly were the user profiles linking to?
9. Have you copied/moved ANY data whatsoever from these backed-up profiles to the newly installed Vista user profiles?
10. If #9 true, how?
11. What is the "main file" in "transfer them to my main file"?
12. What length of time did it take to copy the 600 files?
13. What were the file extensions were of the pictures that you downloaded (e.g., jpg, gif, png, etc...)?
14. Are you familiar with DOS command structure at all?
15. Why do you believe that "shell files" have anything to do with this?"

Please view the screen shot below. Now, using the path of d:\users\Default\ (Default is a user name for our purposes here), do you see how Pictures is a sub-folder of users just as Desktop is a sub-folder as well? The primary sub-folder "Pictures" is NOT a sub-folder of Desktop - but you can create a secondary folder so named and so located if you wish - and you may have - we'll see. Also note that the right side on the screen shot is the Desktop - and as you can see it contains mostly shortcuts and folders. That is what the Desktop looks like from "behind the scenes" - much like it does from the Desktop, huh?

If those files actually were copied by the system onto your computer, I do believe that we have a good chance of finding them... with some work... OK?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Woah, lol, ok here goes.

1. C:/
2.downloaded pics from online back up the were uploaded from b4 i did the reformat as C:\Users\Susan\Desktop
3.yep im admin
4.nope, no nothing about net user
5. No i just uploaded them, saw each file upload when it had finished i clicked on the folder on my desktop that had just uploaded and the pictures had gone
6.yes familiar with tree. hunted everywhere.
7. yes looked under search everywhere, but only showed the folders not the files
8.i used the move loaction thing, trying to move files to d drive but it went wrong. my documents folder when clicked on took me in to my user profile folder, and my music folder became the entry to my d drive.
9.yes i moved the videos, they seemed to work, they wer ethe only ones there. (the folders that i uploaded had already appeared in my user profile folder anyway) just empty
10, i dragged the files
11. by main file i meant susan ( my user profile folder)
12. about 45 minutes to an hour - i get what you are saying here, but i watched each one upload.
13. mostly JPG
14nope not familia with dos
15, all the problems i had before seemed to be about the way vista linksru files, ie: if i put a pictures folder on my desktop and delete anything frmo there it also delete it from teh pictures files in the user profile folder.

Ok now my tree stucture looks nothing like yours yet i have just done a reformat.
i have a folder called public in thee tree buit not visable on the desktop for a start. god I AM so confused. what make it worse is that i am using the same user name as i did before.
anyway here is a screen shot of the tree. thanks again for your help in this matter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

REGARDING QUESTION 1

I forgot to mention that the reason the files were on my desktop was because i made a folder called pictures on the desktop and dragged the files there that i wanted from my user profile folder.
Then i downloaded them from the backup it said it would download them to their default place, which was the desktop.

·
34,403 Posts

REGARDING QUESTION 1

I forgot to mention that the reason the files were on my desktop was because i made a folder called pictures on the desktop and dragged the files there that i wanted from my user profile folder.
Then i downloaded them from the backup it said it would download them to their default place, which was the desktop.
Hi. . .

Apologies for the delay - could not be helped as some late night calls involving my 13 year-old had to be dealt with. So... onward...

Excellent responses, thank you. However, I now find myself on the side of the fence having information digestion trouble! Please keep one thing in mind as we go through this - as you are perusing around the computer - forget about everything in your screen shot (very nice by the way) except for the "users" folder. Based on your information thus far, that is the folder in which you will have the most likely chance for success during this hunt.

However a question - I am still confused about the c: and d: drives and their position relevant to all that has happened here. In your original post you stated "now my user profile is called susan and its on my D drive, and in that file i have the usual folders such as pictures, videos etc, the folders i dowloaded were called other and pictures, the route of teh pictures file was C:/users/desktop/pictures". I think what I'm hearing is that d: is nothing more than a backup of c: and is not used by Vista (for system or user profile files) at all. Correct?

OK now - another - did you copy anything other than the pictures from the d: drive into the pictures folder located on the desktop (i.e., copy d:\users\Susan\Pictures\*.* to c:\users\Susan\Desktop\pictures - with pictures being a sub-folder of Desktop on the c: drive? Any other files at all?

When possible, please go into your c:\users folder and double-click it. You should find as sub-folders your account, one for Public, possibly one or "Guest", "Default", "Administrator", etc... I'm not sure what you will find as it is dependent upon your systems settings in relation to hidden folders and/or files, ownership of same (as bigfellla pointed out) and permission settings (your level of access of them). See my screen shot below and keep keep in mind that the folders with XP-like names do not actually exist. They are called "junctions" and exist solely to assist those programs which have yet to be fully converted to run under Vista. When a semi-compatible Vista compatible program (100% XP compliant) looks to the "c:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents" folder, Vista will send it to "c:\users\%username%\Documents". Think of shortcuts, sort-of.

One more item - I see a folder with the name "Deckard" on it. I assume this is the infamous Deckard's System Scanner (DSS). DSS is a great tool with multiple functions. For our purposes, we will use the file modification portion. This may be of immense help to us on this mission and is worth the try. Please left click twice on the executable module DSS.exe and allow it to run. Please ATTACH to your next post the two output to text files from DSS - main.txt and extra.txt and the output file from HiJackThis. I must tell you that I can only use these output files as tools four our mission at hand - the location of your picture files. I will not be able to comment on other aspects of these output files as that falls under the the jurisdiction of the Forum's Security Section, of which I am neither a graduate nor a member.

Finally, I realize in reviewing this thread that I was writing my initial post during the time that bigfellla posted. While good intentioned and headed in the right direction opposite the taking of ownership of the folder and files, I must implore you not to download any registry ".REG" files as two-clicks on one will instantly update the Vista NT Registry without first making a backup. While I myself use REG files, I do so knowing that my entire system is backed up and do not worry about the loss of data whatsoever. I doubt it, but should a registry edit become necessary, I will provide detailed instructions on the modus operandi to do so. There are other usually alternate methods available for any desired outcome within Vista.

OK - no more "One more item"s - for now, anyway!

Any ? - please let me know.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

Ok firstly sorry it took so long to get back to you I have been dealing with yet another error, as to wether I have fixed this, I will find out when i restart.. ATI radeon card driver not kicking in... sighhhh...
Anyway, secondly......OMG i am thouroghly overwhelmed by what you have written and really confused. First let me clear up a couple of things. The missing files were online when i did my reformat. before i brought them back, i did a clean install of vista, then I went to D drive made a folder there called susan, I then did a move location of the folders that were in my C:\Susan folder. once I happily had the folders over on my D drive I imported my files. Some were on disk, which were fine, the rest I downloaded from the net back up.
I was warned that they would be downloaded to their original locations, (which was the desktop) It told me that If I had made any changes to these files they would be overwritten, as it was a clean install I clicked ok. SO they downloaded inside a folder called pictures to my desktop.

Is that a bit clearer?

Ok Im gonna go off and do the other things you said now. will come back if the overwhelming gets too much lol :)

Oh and forgot to say, I ran that programme take ownership on the pictures file already... sry :( will it be ok?

Susan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

HI Ok not as bad as I thought, except hijack this wanted to be a log file and this site wouldnt accept it, so i copied and pasted as a txt doc.

One thing I must add, I Keep seeing the name amourgirl coming up. That was the name I first used ages ago, like 2 reformats ago, That name I changed to Susan like about at least 18 months ago.

Anyway, have I got it all?

thanks again for your patience and help in this matter.

UPDATE: Just read events through an event viewer, and there are a hell of a lot of errors and wrnings, Some associated with user profiles. Here are just a few examples of some of the errors

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards​

And

The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.​

And

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.​

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

God sorry for another post I keep running out of time to edit.

Ok I have just opened C:\Users

In there I have
Administrator Date Created:02/11/06 Weird???
Public Date created: 02/11/06 Dont even want a public file
Susan : date created 03/03/08 this is my made up folder on d drive

Now how comes teh admin account wasnt over written when I did i clean install.?
The admin file is actually empty (properly empty 0kb) teh susan user profile wont let me check properties so cant find out when it was created, the only file allowing that is the susan file a made on teh d drive to house the other folders.

Hell, I am confused so i bet you are.

·
34,403 Posts

HI . . .One thing I must add, I Keep seeing the name amourgirl coming up. That was the name I first used ages ago, like 2 reformats ago, That name I changed to Susan like about at least 18 months ago.
Anyway, have I got it all?
thanks again for your patience and help in this matter.

UPDATE: Just read events through an event viewer, and there are a hell of a lot of errors and wrnings. . .
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. ...​
The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.​

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.​

God sorry for another post I keep running out of time to edit. Ok I have just opened C:\Users .. In there I have
Administrator Date Created:02/11/06 Weird???
Public Date created: 02/11/06 Dont even want a public file
Susan : date created 03/03/08 this is my made up folder on d drive

Now how comes teh admin account wasnt over written when I did i clean install.?
The admin file is actually empty (properly empty 0kb) teh susan user profile wont let me check properties so cant find out when it was created, the only file allowing that is the susan file a made on teh d drive to house the other folders.
Hell, I am confused so i bet you are.
Hi Susan. . .

Post as often as you want. Besides, I require a 1,000,000 word minimum - a rule some tell me I post (per-post) by! I don't know why that is !!!

I would expect there to be a set of Administrator files. They will be filled at some point idepending on your file saving habits. I would be a little worried if you told me there was a set of files with a name similar to "Administrator.user-PC" . That's for another post.

Just about everything you posted above makes sense. The Event Viewer errors we will get to later - OK? I've seen all that before. Nothing that cannot wait until the pictures are located.

Take a look inside the folder named "Windows.old". Did you at some time upgrade from XP to Vista? Or upgrade within the Vista family? That folder would contain your XP or previous Vista Operating System (OS) files.

Sorry, but I have to run out with my 6 & 9 yr-olds. Something about pens with a head and hair. Who knows. Be back in an hour or so. OK?

I just wanted to get something off to you. The HiJackThis log looks great - as expected - like a new OS hit the town!

Regards...

JC

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

LOL, sounds like your having a busy time of it. Ah the delights of having children..

On my other matter my ATI finally kicked in - it doesnt like vista, then again who does?

Ok now this may intrigue you. (You might get the feeling I like playing with settings)

When i bought the computer it was XP, I upgraded to Vista HP, but it took nearly all my C drive up, so me being me deleted all the windows.old files. (Did I Just hear a sigh?) Anyway, everything was ok for a year or so till this new problem, so I did a clean install of Using my Vista disk, However slight problem occured when i entered my key, it didnt like the fact i had done a clean install with an upgrade key (how on earth was i supposed to know) anyway, I said save key for later and let it carry on installing. When it finally installed fully, I ran the Vista disk again, this time form the desktop rather than the boot up, which i was told was how you are supposed to do an upgrade, so i entered my key, and authorised it and it finally worked. anyway the results of that mean that god knows what is in my new windows.old file because of all the formatting. Anyway moved it over to d: inside there is nothing much, all the basic programme files. an amourgirl folder contating all the user folders such as pics, vids etc.. all of which are empty except for samples... got a bit excited and thought all my documents would be there form before i reformatted... (the reason i had to reformat) they vanished.... my CV everything.... sigh, anyway they werent there, pics noot there just a load of dll files.
I really must learn to stop mucking about with vista. Oh what i wouldnt do to go back to XP. Unfortuantly I cant find the disks. In fact im not sure it came with any... I HATE VISTAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Sry just had to get that of my chest.

ANyway Over to you :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Oh it just gets better and better.......
My computer has just been goign mental (sry about typos oversensitive touchpad and keyboard) thought it must be doing a virus check or an update.. but no..... never that simple. anyway went to check on processes and services and had about 48 processes using 84% memory and about 100 services... have disabled ones I know for sure are ok, but still leaves a lot. Ok so anyone wanna buy a vista computer from me?lol lol lol lol

·
34,403 Posts

.. ..When i bought the computer it was XP, I upgraded to Vista HP, but it took nearly all my C drive up. . . deleted all the windows.old files. (Did I Just hear a sigh?) Anyway, everything was ok for a year or so till this new problem, so I did a clean install of Using my Vista disk. . . i entered my key, and authorised it and it finally worked. anyway the results of that mean that god knows what is in my new windows.old file because of all the formatting. Anyway moved it over to d: inside there is nothing much, all the basic programme files. an amourgirl folder [user name] contating all the user folders such as pics, vids etc.. all of which are empty except for samples... got a bit excited and thought all my documents would be there form before i reformatted... (the reason i had to reformat) they vanished.... my CV everything.... sigh, anyway they werent there, pics noot there just a load of dll files. . .

Oh it just gets better and better.......
My computer has just been goign mental. . . thought it must be doing a virus check or an update.. but no..... never that simple. anyway went to check on processes and services and had about 48 processes using 84% memory and about 100 services... have disabled ones I know for sure are ok, but still leaves a lot. Ok so anyone wanna buy a vista computer from me?lol lol lol lol

Good Morning amourgirl . . .

I'm sorry that I missed you last night. It turns out that the outing for the pen last night was a very well planned, almost covert in nature, "trap" to get to a certain store that just happened to have new SIMS games and Webkinz.

Thank you for all of the additional information and the reports. Usually some of my many questions are answered by a DSS/HJT report, but now I actually have more.

In Windows, there is something called the "Environment Variables" (EV). Very simply, it contains a portion of the (directory) path which then combined with other path information dictates the location where a file can be either be found, should be found or will be placed. The EV for each user usually varies. So, when you copied the pictures and used the word "default", it should have been very simple to find your pictures by looking at the EV. Simple, right? I thought so. Then I read your last two posts followed by the DSS/HJT reports and am now more confused than ever!!

Looking at a portion of the EV per DSS -

SystemDrive=C:
USERNAME=amourgirl
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\amourgirl

Now, knowing that pictures have certain filename extensions (jpeg, jpg, gif, etc..,), I can tell you that the default location in Vista would be:

%SystemDrive%\%USERPROFILE%\Pictures

which translates to: c:\users\amourgirl\Pictures

This is where the pictures should be. However, your comments subsequent to the DSS/HJT reports say otherwise. So, I looked to the DSS log as it contains file migration information. But the date in the DSS report is over a month old:

-- End of Deckard's System Scanner: finished at 2008-01-29 22:45:12 ------------

The HJT log is current: "Scan saved at 20:24:19, on 06/03/2008".

This is why there is no sign of activity related to the pictures contained withing them. Please run DSS again and attach new logs.

There are other issues, which I'll include in my next post. I wanted to get something to you this morning since I needed time last night to go over the DSS/HJT logs.

See you soon !

Regards. . .

JC

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

Hi JC, I have a 4 year old boy, I bet he is the same amount of trouble as both your kids put together!!! Seeems they know how to work you though hey?!?!
erm also just to let you know i am on UK time so our days are slightly out. but I tend to be up until around 3 in the morning everyy night, so should catch you most times.

anyway, first i feel i should say that amourgirl isnt the computer owner. Its susan. amourgirl was like ages ago. Computer name should be Susans PC and Administrator is Susan

Ok deckard file... lemme go run it...

Im a wally... Before it would seem that i just clicked on one of deckards reports rtaher than click an exe. anyway turns out i dont have deckard anymore, so just downloaded it. Here are the main and extra texts.

susan :)

Attachments

·
34,403 Posts

Hi. . .

One of the"other" items that I wanted to mention is the following- Did you notice or are you aware that Vista requires a minimum of 1GB (1024MB) of Random Access Memory (RAM)? I always go with 2GB (2048MB) at a minimum. Just remember it was not too long after XP debuted that some began upgrading from 256MB to 512MB - and even 512MB in the last few years not enough for todays system resource hungry applications.

Total Physical Memory: 766 MiB (1024 MB recommended)

What about the user account?- the Environment Variables?

Regards. . .

JC

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Yeah Im guessing I simply need a new computer or to find the disk for xp would make me happy..

Any hoo here is the screen shot of EV from what you said it this pic doesnt make nay sense

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.