Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was having some serious issues with my internet, it would connect, but I would have errors with downloads and streaming videos and music was painfully slow. I installed a bandwidth monitor and noticed that I was only getting around 1.4 of the 10Mbps supported by my DSL Modem/router/provider.

I was poking around in my network settings and finally went to my routers IP in my browser and started snooping around the LAN network settings (it was a wired connection at that point). There, as an attempt to narrow down the problem, I switched from "auto configuration: DHCP" to a static IP and entered the DNS servers manually.

Immediately after saving these settings all my problems stopped; streaming speeds were back to normal, web browsing was lightning fast, and my bandwidth jumped up to the advertised speed of 10Mbps Down.

Any ideas as to why this would fix the problem; note if the explanation can't be summarized easily don't worry about it. I'm sure I learn about sometime in the future, even though I'm a CE major and not a CS one, and so know much more about hardware and physical circuitry then software and networking.

·
TSF Enthusiast
905 Posts
Re: Figured it out, but curious how it works

Hi,

Out of interest, did you enter the same DNS server address or different ones?

Maz

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts

It is a hardware issue. Saving the config refreshed the router just like rebooting a pc will refresh its memory. Had nothing to do with static vs dhcp or dns. Seen this before.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

To confirm it , just go back to dhcp settings , see if you still get the same problem ,
rebooting the router always helps , so long as no one else in the house is downloading without an accelerator.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Nope! No problem, there must have just been a configuration error that I missed.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts

Doubt there was a config error from what you described.
Dhcp or static doesn't affect speed as you reported

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well anyway its working now. Funny how with computers you can fix something without knowing what was wrong in the first place.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

It is a hardware issue. Saving the config refreshed the router just like rebooting a pc will refresh its memory. Had nothing to do with static vs dhcp or dns. Seen this before.
statement from the network guru , learn it well.

please mark the thread as solved if the problem does not comeback :O

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.