Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a week now, I have been working on a dell Inspiron 9200 that is running XP. 12 years old. It hadnt been used in like 6 months.

Everything was fine until today. The battery is dead, and when I turned it on this morning, I forgot to plug the power cord into the wall. It booted up fine, then I noticed the battery icon indicating low battery, and before I realized it, the computer shut off. This usually happens when the power cord is not connected. So now when I run the computer, the fan is going crazy and it's really working hard. It doesn't seem to stop, and I have let it run for like 6 minutes. I wasn't sure if I was hurting the computer so I shut it off. Any thoughts as to what is happening? The computer is not hot at all.

·
Super Moderator, Editor, Articles Team
12,460 Posts
Re: Fan blowing so hard

Hi,

If it hasn't been used for six months, its very likely installing MS updates and its actually the hard drive spinning faster than usual because of the extra work load.

Do you see any evidence that this is the case?

·
Premium Member
41,823 Posts

Boot into Setup (Bios) scroll down to Maintenance look at the Log Files. It probably says there is a CPU fan error.
I found this problem on a Dell Desktop, I removed the Heatsync and blew out all the dust. Then I noticed that the CPU fan was not plugged in all the way.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No it's definitely the fan I put my hand underneath and I feel the air. Also I wasn't connected to the Internet so it wasn't downloading updates.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I can't figure out how to disconnect the keyboard from the mobo.... i can't find a tutorial. The keyboard

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured it out. I cleaned the dust out of the fan and I put it back together and I booted it up and the fans are goin crazy again. Argh. What now?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it has to do with the fact that I left it out in the freezing cold. Now I'm screwed because now I just want to back it up. Can I disable the fan somehow?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Seriously I really need some help. I am tying to back up everything right now but im afraid the computer will explode. Does it have anytjimg to do with it being out in the cold? Is there any software (except speedfan because it isnt working) where I can get it to slow down? Thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Seriously I really need some help. I am tying to back up everything right now but im afraid the computer will explode. Does it have anytjimg to do with it being out in the cold? Is there any software (except speedfan because it isnt working) where I can get it to slow down? Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,794 Posts

if the fan is going crazy, then it could mean your laptop is overheating. if you disconnect the fan, you can do some damage. until you know what is going on, it is best not to touch the fan. does the bottom of the laptop feel hot?

You can alway pull the drive and connect it into another computer if you wan to back it up.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No it's not overhearinf at all in fact it's now 30 degrees celcius. It's actually going down in temperature.
It just started happening when I turned it on yesterday. I started the machine forgetting to plug the computer in. The battery in the computer is dead so what happened was right before it shut off, the fan whizzed real loud and fast like it is now, and shut off. Ever since then the fan is really fast and working hard and just takes up a lot of the cpu so windows XP just runs really slow.

·
Premium Member
41,823 Posts

If all you want to do is back it up, then Remove the HDD and attach it either internally to a desktop computer, or via USB Adapter or put it into a USB Enclosure with a power adapter.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so this is crazy. The fan was blowing hard by no hardware failure whatsoever. I finally found this forum where someone had the exact same issue of hard-working fans, and that person simply hit FN + Z. That's it! And the fan went back to a normal speed! Canyou believe it? I spent the better part of a night researching and taking it apart and putting back together. I guess keying that forces the computer to check the bios. Voila. Ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
41,823 Posts

That's good news to know. It's also a good thing you cleaned out the dust sotthere won't be any overheating problems in the future.
If your problem is taken care of please mark this thread solved in the thread tools at the top.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.