Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I posted by error in somewhere that was wrong..OK.. I am hoping this is right now. I have a WD usb external hard drive that is not being recognized. Thanks to your support, I went to disk management and found
that the drive is not initiated. Does anyone know what that means, please?
Many thanks :eek:)
Quantum girl
PS Actually I have now gone a bit further and the details are the the drive is UNALLOCATED. I still don't know what this means or what to do about it. So any help is appreciated:pray:

T

·
0 Posts
Re: External hard drive not initiated

When in disk management, is the whole entire external drive UNALLOCATED. If you can can you please give me a screen shot with Disk Management open on your desktop with your External Drive connected. What is the drive letter assigned to the drive?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yes, No drive letter assigned at all. I think thats why it says unallocated.
I'm not sure how to do a screen shot.....
Thanks so far...any more suggestions?
Quantum girl

·
Registered
23,001 Posts

Hi,

Is it a new (unused) drive?
If so, it has to be formatted.
To do that: Right click the drive in Disk management > New partition > Follow the wizard. Choose the NTFS format.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Hi there from Quantumgirl (sans wellies)

mmmmm........doesnt seem to be happening...I have done alt/print screen and found paint...but no option to paste........ anyway.....I have told you all that there is on it...no recognition at all, no allocation for drive number. Do you really think that the person with the mac who put all the video files on it could have done anything as daft as reformatting? Can you transfer video files to a mac as they are.....they dont become 'owned' by the mac...or changed in any way.
Other than that,...would she have had to reformat or change anything in order to get the WD external to talk to the Mac?
QG

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Dear eneles......it was new,.....only a couple of files on it when I gave it to her to put the videos on. But now it is full to the max with raw film data which I DONT want to lose! Will formatting erase all data?? If so.....gonna have to get it to anyone who has a Mac and see if it will respond?....QG

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,347 Posts
Re: Hi there from Quantumgirl (sans wellies)

mmmmm........doesnt seem to be happening...I have done alt/print screen and found paint...but no option to paste........ anyway.....I have told you all that there is on it...no recognition at all, no allocation for drive number. Do you really think that the person with the mac who put all the video files on it could have done anything as daft as reformatting? Can you transfer video files to a mac as they are.....they dont become 'owned' by the mac...or changed in any way.
Other than that,...would she have had to reformat or change anything in order to get the WD external to talk to the Mac?
QG
Did you hold down Alt whilst pressing PrintScreen?

EDIT: Sorry, it's just Paste in Paint. I was in PaintShop Pro.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Right! Have done test disk and it IS formatted for Mac....so are there any options within test disk to change it back without data loss?
QG

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thank you so for this, eneles, :eek:)
I'll get on it today and let you know

Quantum girl

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hi Nicolas! Thanks for giving me a nudge on this....I had been dragging my feet because of work overload, and so I have just downloaded a trial of Macdrive 7 and it works fine!. I can access my files and am in the middle of taking them all off to disc now. One question you might be able to answer,...the files are mixed and some are MP4s. My Nero burner looks like it only does DVD in MP3....I have file convertor, but can I burn an MP4 to MP3 without converting?
Quantum gilr

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To all of you, thank you SO much for being of such great help to me :eek:)...and being SO friendly, and so prompt, and knowledgeable....and everything!!
Bless!
Quantum girl

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.