Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the following NAS: Iomega external 320 GB. Big silver box. Anyways, everything was fine as long as I was using it via LAN, sometimes via USB on windows XP sp3. However trouble began (I think) after I've used it via USB on windows 7.

Example:
When going into a specific folder the whole machine would just hard-reboot straight away (both under xp and 7). Found other damaged files.

Question 1:
Does Win7/Vista "do something" to usb drives, as in changes anything in the file system? I have seen a few situations like this so far - everything was fine on an xp drive until vista/7 had a go at them?

Question 2:
Is there a universal tool, like scandisk, but for USB drives (found some scamware out there) - a tool to check for file system integrity, or files themselves? This is because the xp scandisk would just "give up" and I did not want vista/7 to "try" and repair it ;)

PS. I have repaired this by backing up files, formatting the drive from under the NAS panel and uploading my files back. Don't think I'll ever connect it via USB again - just let the small operating system on the NAS do it's job.

·
Global Moderator
42,233 Posts
Re: External disk playing up

Scandisk has changed to Check Disk in XP, Vista and 7. As Rits said, with the drive plugged into the USB of the computer go to Start/Run and type CMD (XP) or (Vista/7) go to Start/Search and type CMD, right click the cmd.exe icon and Run As Administrator. In the Command Prompt type the drive letter of the device (ex) F: and press enter. The prompt turns to the drive letter (ex) F:\> Now type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y to Unmount the drive. The Check Disk Utility will try and fix any file errors.
There are no things that 7 Vista do to external drives that would cause this problem unless you did not use the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the System Tray to eject the drive.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

haha don't know why I said scandisk, miss that blue and yellow tool :p I'll give it a go with my pendrive since I have now fixed the Iomega drive anyway - thanks!

·
Registered
696 Posts

haha don't know why I said scandisk, miss that blue and yellow tool :p I'll give it a go with my pendrive since I have now fixed the Iomega drive anyway - thanks!

Congrats, glad that you got it fixed you may now mark this thread as fixed in thread tools.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.