Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum,

Hope somebody can help me . . . .

Undecided whether my problem is hardware / software related - hence posting here.

The subject message received when I insert the XP Home Edition CD.

OK onto the history . . .

H/W spec (known at the mom): 128MB RAM, 40GB HDD
S/W spec (Kwown at the mom): XP Home Edition

Repairing a 7 year old PC (no remarks on replacing it please) which involved AV scan using AVG and malwarebytes.
System was infected with Trojan.Horse BackDoor.VB.CXJ and removed successfully using Malwarebytes. (Note during the scan with Malwarebytes system kept attempting to increase virtual memory)
Rebooted system to take a clean sweep and Malwarebytes failed to run problems with line xxxx (unable to remember exact number).

At this point I replaced the 128MB RAM stick with 2 spare 256MB ram sticks and fired up the machine. Machine not booting - it takes me to the Safe Mode options including startup in normal mode, startup with networking . .etc. Select start with Normal mode system goes so far - displays a glimpse of BSOD and reoboots. The same happens for safe mode.:eek:

At this point I thought the system was rejecting the 2 sticks so I replaced them with the original 128MB stick - no difference!! Even tried to put the memory in upside down - machine did not go anywhere!!

Next step was to attempt to repair the system using the XP CD and this is where the said message appears as per the subject. :4-dontkno
Before I could get the system to run from CD had to reset bios / cmos to defaults as it was password protected. Method: remove battery for 30+ mins before reinserting and booting into bios.

The XP CD is still in machine - with CD stopped spinning - with message "Examining startup environment . . ." still displayed, circa 20mins now.

To summarise I have a machine which I am unable to repair using XP CD and no ability to boot into XP. :mad:

Thinking aloud now . . . if this was a software issue I should have been able to get into the system and repair it shouldn't I using the XP CD?

dbl057311

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Examining startup environment . . .

Update: Memory is OK. :eek:

Thinking along the lines of h/w now. To backup data then use "ntfsfix" command using Knoppix in an attempt to check the HDD.

Watch this space for more information . . .

However if anybody has any other suggestion please don't hesitate to add to this thread. :wink:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

Hello and Welcome to TSF,

Backup data first if you need to.

Enter bios, F1,F2,F10, Delete (varies on different pc`s)

Use a utility harddrive program for the harddrive to run a test on it here:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If no harddrive utility here, then use seatools.

Running a test on the harddrive shouldnt erase any data on H.D. but just in case
do a backup of data, you may have to slave the harddrive to do so in another pc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Hello and Welcome to TSF,

Backup data first if you need to.

Enter bios, F1,F2,F10, Delete (varies on different pc`s)

Use a utility harddrive program for the harddrive to run a test on it here:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If no harddrive utility here, then use seatools.

Running a test on the harddrive shouldnt erase any data on H.D. but just in case
do a backup of data, you may have to slave the harddrive to do so in another pc.
Solved. :grin: Apologies for delay in reply.

How did i resolve it?

Steps taken in resolution:
1. Back up data
2. chkdsk - Put HDD into enclosure and slaved off XP system
3. HDD still in enclosure, run command "ntfsfix" within Knoppix
3.1 no errors reported :eek:
4. Put HDD back into machine and booted
5. MS Windows appeared. Yipee :grin:
6. Changed time and date before restarting new scan using malwarebytes.

End resolution: we now have a working MS XP system again.

dbl057311

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.