Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I stick a USB Flash Drive in and get a sound and the Window asking me what I want to do comes up. Now, I know this is normal since I've done it probably 1000 times before. I copied something to the disk fine and the selected remove safely and all was well. Never gave it a second thought. Until I looked in the Event Veiwer and saw the errors for everytime I inserted the flash drive. I can go up on my XP system and it doesn't give me any errors. Any thoughts on this. All drivers are installed and the Device Manager isn't showing any errors.

Running Win 7 64Bit

Thanks
Patrick

By pt121 at 2012-03-21

·
Premium Member
41,821 Posts
Re: Event Viewer Error(Disk Controller)

Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager, Are there any devices with a yellow mark? Is this a name brand computer (HP, Dell, Asus) etc. If so, go to the manufacturers support/download drivers site and type in your service tag# or your make and model# and download the Chipset driver (USB) and the Network Adapter for your computer. Even if there is no Yellow Mark, update the driver none the less.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Device Manager was the first thing I checked. No yellow or red at all. Everything is clear. I installed the Chipset drivers from the Asus Support CD that came with it. My components are in the "MY System" next to my ID.

Thanks
Patrick

·
Premium Member
41,821 Posts

Update the Chipset and Network adapter drivers from the Asus site to get the latest ones.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Will do, its not that hard to do. Will post back with results.

Patrick

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Just updated, makes no difference. However, I tried a different flash drive and it came up the same way but gave no errors in the Event Viewer. The first flash drive I was using is an older 128mb flash drive. Could have something to do with that. I have a couple of them around and they all seem to give the same error in the Event Viewer. When I insert one of the other flash drives (kingston or PNY) they don't give an error.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
41,821 Posts

Try the old Flash drive in another computer. It may be bad.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Nah, it works fine in another system. I have 3 of those drives and they all do the same thing with this new system. I even stuck them in a USB 3.0 port and they did the same thing and they are two different drivers.

Lol, had my first system lockup on this new system, hope it wasn't cause I updated the drivers.

Patrick

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for the help all. I believe I'm concentrating on that Event Viewer too much. Even though I get the error for one specific brand of flash drive doesn't necessarily mean their is something wrong. Windows recognizes it and writes to it just fine. I just think Windows 7 doesn't like the old media I was sticking in it.

Thanks again for the input.

Patrick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.