Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was trying to install an HP Printer. It would not install. I called HP and an HP Tech accessed my computer remotely. He pulled up a bunch of error and stopped working messages. He said my computer was about to crash. He wanted a ton of money to fix it. I have no money, so here I am. I have attached a summary of my computer. I am really computer stupid so any help I can get will be truly appreciated.
Annette Manaclay

Attachments

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,805 Posts
Re: Error messages and stopped working messages, Windows 7

I don't know where to begin. Let's start be deleting all old versions of Java in your control panel and updating at: java.com: Java + You
Also, stop using ToolWiz and Optimizer Pro These Registry Cleaners cause the kind of problems you're experiencing.

·
26,805 Posts

Just noticed a major source of your problems. Only 1 AV should ever be used. You have AVG and MSE both activated. I would delete AVG and use only MSE.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I uninstalled all Java programs and went to java.com and tried to install a new version but it wont install, I keep getting an error message telling me that Java could not be installed.What should I do now?
I am still working on getting rid of AVG.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I don't know how to do it in safe mode and I have already started by just choosing AVG and uninstall.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I went to 5 Ways to Uninstall AVG - wikiHow and it said to try uninstalling from the Settings area. I can't find any option for settings from my start menu. It is still uninstalling from the uninstall feature in Programs and Features. Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Java is now installed. Thank You. What next?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I removed tool wiz, registry optmizer, AVG, and all versions of Java. I reinstalled the latest version of Java. What should I do next? Thank you so much for helping me.

·
26,805 Posts

Follow the exact HP instructions to install the printer.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts

For info - to boot up into Safe Mode with or without Networking plus other options, tap F8 as you switch on.

These two modes only load essential drivers for Windows to work and will isolate non-essential programs so that their files are not in use and it makes it easier to delete/uninstall them.

To revert to a normal boot, just shutdown and restart.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts

Hi, like Corday I wonder where to begin, you also have Norton installed, and I wonder where the HP tech was, you cannot install a printer without the print spooler service running, yours is stopped.

Is it possible to start again, I mean lets format the drive, reinstall windows and with our help, you can be advised what to do... let us know how you feel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Do I need a disc to reformat? I would love to just start over. I will uninstall Norton.

I have gotten the error message that the print spooler is not running but I don't know what the print spooler is. It says to restart the machine. I think they mean the printer but shutting it down and restarting it does not fix the problem. Neither does shutting down the computer and restarting.

·
26,805 Posts

If you have the Windows 7 disc, reformating is the answer. If not, you have a partition (usually D: on HP) which will bring you back to the way you received your computer (unless you upgraded from an old OS in which case it doesn't exist). It is necessary to back up your personal files before doing either or you'll lose them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I have no Windows 7 disc. It came preloaded on my computer. How do I back up my files and where to I back them up to? If I do this, how will I reboot. Can you send me exact steps so that I don't mess this up? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I have an HP_Recovery (D). It has 1.38 GB free of 11.6 GB.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Also, this is unrelated to the problems, but my grandson partitioned my hard drive and now doesn't know how to unpartition it. Will formating take care of that also?

·
26,805 Posts

Since you mentioned limited tech knowledge earlier, if you have less than 5GB of personal files and want a free service, then this cloud storage system will satisfy your needs. See: SkyDrive - Microsoft Windows
Microsoft and others charge for larger backups. FYI, manuscripts don't take up a lot of space. Pictures in certain formats do.

Just saw the post about your grandson. I hope he didn't destroy the Recovery Partition. Otherwise you need to get a disc from HP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I just posted stuff that didn't show up when I left the site and returned so I will retype it. I uninstalled Norton. It is gone. I don't have a Windows 7 disc. It came preloaded on my computer. I have an HP_Recovery (D:) it has 1.38 GB free of 11.6 GB.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.