Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a General question regarding the end of support for XP. I realise at the end date the computer should be backed up in case you have to format the disc at any time after the end of the support period.

My question is does the built in Windows back up in XP when backing up the system include the installed updates? Or is it best to use third party software to do this.

shipboard

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,557 Posts
Re: End ofThis is a general question regarding the end of support for XP support for

I believe Windows just backs up your personal files and won't do the entire OS. You'll need a 3rd party program to do the entire HDD.

Also you really should think about upgrading to Windows 7. Staying on XP after the end support date is not recommended as you will lose security updates from Microsoft as well as patches.

·
Premium Member
41,817 Posts
Re: End ofThis is a general question regarding the end of support for XP support for

The End of Microsoft supporting XP means that Microsoft will not be supplying any more New Updates for XP. However, Any current updates that are already available, will be available in Stand Alone downloads. SP 1, 2, and 3 and .Net Framework etc.
Microsoft Backup will backup your entire C: drive, updates an all. Microsoft Corporation However, if your HDD fails, or you need to format, you need to Reinstall Windows from the XP CD, then start the Microsoft Backup program and choose Restore to restore your backup that is saved on a different drive.
You can slipstream your XP CD with SP 3, Updates, SATA driver, Windows Drivers and IE8 using nLite.
Or you can clone your HDD to another HDD. If your C: HDD fails, or you need to format, you can swap your C: drive with the cloned drive and be back in business.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thats made everything very clear, thanks a lot.

shipboard.

·
Moderator, - Microsoft Support,BSOD Kernel Dump A
Olfactory training for spam detection.
5,883 Posts
clicking on that komku link, chrome browser blocked it stated malware risk....
Thanks, now edited due to the below:
Content from str8a.com.my, a known malware distributor, has been inserted into this web page. Visiting this page now is very likely to infect your computer with malware.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.