Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new to begging for help with my computer on web forums, so please forgive me if I make a muck of it. I'll start from the beginning:

I noticed a few days ago that Explorer wouldn't do anything for me. Typing in the address bar produced some message which I don't recall and no action, and I couldn't put any text in my google home page. No big problem until I needed to open a page which wouldn't work in Firefox and the explorer tab was out of service. So I tried to find a solution online.

Either at this point, or after my next action, I installed Explorer 7, which from what I've been able to figure out has something to do with my present difficulties.

Someone somewhere said to disable or enable something in user accounts, but clicking on user accounts resulted in .... absolutely nothing - nothing opened, no message, nothing. So I tried to find a solution online.

I went to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919292 and followed these instructions:

To resolve this behavior, use the regsvr32 command to register the .dll files. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

2. At the command prompt, type the following commands, press ENTER after each command, and then click OK when a message says that the registration is successful:

• Regsvr32 jscript.dll
• Regsvr32 nusrmgr.cpl
• Regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
• Regsvr32 themeui.dll
• Regsvr32 Vbscript.dll

3. Make sure that you can open the User Accounts item in Control Panel.

Now, while (thank the powers that be) I am able to use Firefox, Wordperfect and KMPlayer, I am unable to do several things. If I try to use Help and Support, or System Restore, or Explorer, I get:

ordinal 13 could not be located in the dynamic link library iertutil.dll.

Also, if I download something new to try to resolve the problem, I am unable to install the executable. I get this:

C:\etc.\etc.\etc.\program.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

This is where the catch 22 comes in. Some people seem to have fixed similar problems by installing Explorer Beta 8, but I can't do that :upset:

Help Puleeze, you geniuses, saints and miracle workers!!

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Re: dynamic link library catch 22

Please try this workaround (you will need your Windows® XP SP2 CD or an integrated SP3 CD if SP3 is installed).

(In the event that you do not have a Windows® XP CD with SP2,(or SP3) you will need to 'borrow' one from a friend or colleague, as the manufacturer's "Recovery Discs" will not work in this instance.)

Insert the Windows® XP CD in your drive. (Hold down the Shift Key to prevent it from starting.)

Go start > Run ...in the box type in sfc /scannow …please take note of the space between the sfc and the /.

This is the System File Checker...it will scan all the Windows® core system files to ensure that they are in their respective correct places, and if not replace them from the CD.

During the scan you may be asked to Insert the CD, if this happens just go retry and let it do its thing.

One important point:
While sfc is running, it is not advisable to do any other work, or have any browsers/programs running on the computer, until the scan is complete. (This process will generally take around 45-65 minutes to complete).

This might help, I'm not entirely sure. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! My disc doesn't have the service pack, so I'm going to have to get my hands on the right c.d. before I try your fix. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The problem with that seemingly sensible solution is that I can't install the Isobuster software - that "not a valid Winn32 application" thing. A friend is going to get her xp cd for me tomorrow, but she doesn't seem sure whether it includes the service pack or not, and I'm feeling rather negative. I'll try a couple more people, and if that doesn't work, I'll maybe install the Nero Program along with Isobuster on someone else's computer, make the cd that way, and cross my fingers that it will work.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,246 Posts

Well, that error usually means the .exe is corrupted. Are you sure the file has been downloaded fully? Try using a download manager to download it, that way if the file does get cut off for some reason, it will resume where it left off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This is part of the problem I'm having. Every file does this. I've tried to download a number of programs from a number of locations, and when I attempt to run them I get, for example,

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\activescan2_en.exe is not a valid Win32 program.

I mean, this has happened with a lot of stuff. This was the reason why I wasn't able to replace Explorer 7 with the Beta 8 version that seems to have helped some people out. Anyway, I think the idea behind installing that was to replace the iertutil.dll (which is mentioned in all those messages I brought up in my first plea). I tried copying that from our other computer onto my flashdrive and into Win32, to no effect. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
5,246 Posts

I understand your problem - How long does the downloads take? Have you tried using a download manager to download the programs to see if that helps?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I figured out a solution to my troubles this morning. Thought I'd share:

To get around the fact that every time I tried to install something potentially helpful I got that infuriating "not a valid win32 program" message, I downloaded and installed RegistryFix on our other computer (computer 2). Next, I copied the program files onto my computer (computer 1), right clicked and dragged the executable to the start menu and ran the program from there. It worked!!

After running RegistryFix, the applets that hadn't been working in the control panel (internet options, user accounts and some others) were working, as was the search function, which had been out of service. System restore was also available again, but before it would open I had to click through a series of "the ordinal X cannot be located in the dll library X" messages. I was able to install other programs, but I still couldn't bring IE 7 up or install beta 8.

Next, I opened up the IE program folder and deleted everything I could. I'm not sure if this made a difference, but it didn't hurt.

Then I tried to run the IE beta 8 executable on computer 2, planning to copy the program files onto computer 1 as I had for RegistryFix. Even on computer 2, I got the "not a valid win32 program" message. It seems that, unlike with the other program files that refused to open, this one was actually corrupt. I downloaded a new file and was able to install it on computer 1.

Now explorer works and I am no longer getting those error messages when I open system restore.

Cheers:beerchug:

·
Registered
5,246 Posts

I'm glad to hear you got it figured out.

Thanks for posting the solution. .

-Coolfreak

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.