Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is a complicated problem:

Two days ago, Windows told me that it couldn't find my two disk drives (DVD-Ram and CD-Rw) while I was using the system. I was NOT using the drives and there were disks in them. Here's a breakdown of some specifics:
1. The drives both have power and eject when I hit the button without issue,
2. Both drives are recognized in the BIOS as the following:
-Primary IDE Master: Maxtor 6Y200P0 (my Hard Drive, I assume)
-Primary Slave: None
-Secondary IDE Master: HLDTST DVDRam GMA-
-Secondary Slave: Lite-On LtR-48246S
3. The windows device manager gives me the yellow "!"s for each of the devices.
4. On a suggestion from a friend, I used an Ubuntu Live CD in the DVD drive and started the system from BIOS. System started in Ubuntu, and Ubuntu recognized both disk drives and my hard drive. It DID tell me that my HD had a crap-ton of bad sectors and gave an overall assessment that I backup everything and replace the Hard Disk. Not something I am eager to do, but if my drives will not work without doing that, then I will (obviously).

Summary: BIOS and Ubuntu know the drives are there. Last time this problem occurred about six months ago, I simply replaced the IDE ribbon cable and it was solved. I've tried several replacement ribbon cables and it doesn't seem to change anything. Plus the fact that Ubuntu works from the drive is leading me to believe it's some sort of software issue as opposed to hardware (barring a dying hard disk).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: DVD-Ram & CD-RW not recognized suddenly...

:pray:
Wow. That totally worked. Like, immediately. I'm really, really thankful! I'm still going to purchase a new hard drive, because Ubuntu (and several of my friends) was pretty insistent that the drive could implode any day now (and it is over 6 years old). Thank you so much for that link!

AVG is pretty certain that I don't have any viruses, and there are several innocuous files that I can not delete for no apparent reason. Example: I un-installed Battlefield 2 a long time ago, but there is still a folder with a single file in My Documents that I can not delete because of some error. There are also some programs I can not un-install from Add/Remove programs because it says they aren't there or it can not find the proper files. It smells like a dying drive to me, and it's not an expensive fix.

·
Decessit
68,879 Posts

Hi try running superantispyware use the free version update it before running,you can also try revouninstaller to get rid of the files that are not moving if you still have problems try unlocker but you are best with a new drive

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

AVG is not that good of an antivirus these days, it misses some viruses.

Well from what i gather from your post now, you have infections in the harddrive apparently, this would easily cause a bad sector or sectors problem.

I would advize you to go to our virus forum to try and cleanup the harddrive first.
Go here:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/

Note: Do not run any scans yourself unless you are qualified in virus removal and know exactly what you are doing, there are invisible parasites that you cannot see with your eye and even certain scanners can miss, let the virus forum do an accessment of your harddrive first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the help, but I have a new HD now. I may look in to wiping the old one entirely and then installing Ubuntu just to see if the bad sectors are physical or software. The way I see it, $70 got me a faster, quieter HD with no issues. There's a possibility that I could save the old one, but everything important has been properly saved so I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi, I am running Windows xp. All of a sudden when I insert a flash drive into the usb port i get an error message and the drive opens like a folder.
The message says something about not have the file associated to open this file...
Any suggestions?
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

Glad to hear it that you got everything saved from the old one.

Before restoring those saved files I would scan those files first.

You can mark thread solved under thread tools tab near top of page, ty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.