Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To cut a long story short I had to format the fixed disk on my laptop. After performing a clean installation of win xp pro oem, I found that there were several devices not recognised in device manager.

I had no problem finding the correct drivers on the hp/compaq website
but after following the onscreen instructions to install them, nothing seemed to happen. I went into device manager and sure enough my wireless adaptor and LAN adaptor were still listed as ? - unknown device
Ethernet controller

At this point i didnt have a clue as to what to do next so i contacted a hp/compaq support representitive via live chat. After about an hour of trying stuff, sucha as installing drivers from hyperlinks he provided, and resetting bios to default settings, he said I should consider re-install windows. :sigh:

To be honest with you, I lost my original win xp disc some time ago. I downloaded an image from the net :4-thatsba. The product key is genuine though. :1angel:

Could it be this rogue copy of windows that is causing all the hastle? If so is there anyway I can obtain a replacement disc without purchasing again?

Thanks for reading

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Re: drivers for hp compaq nc4010

Greetings jsa500, Welcome to TSF! :wave:

Try this Hp Website page. (Click the coloured link.)

The Ethernet Driver is listed under Driver - Network about ½ way down the page.

Give this a try and post back with the results.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Dave.

The drivers for the wired lan device worked! :smile:

The ones for the wireless device didn't work, but after i hooked it up to my router and restarted the computer, windows went on the internet and installed the wireless lan device automatically anyway. nice

According to device manager i have a broadcom wireless adaptor, not an Intel Pro like the hp support rep told me

Only problem now is getting it to connect to the router using wireless. Router is a NetGear DG834G v2. I have several devices using wireless to connect to this router no problem, but the laptop refuses to connect.

"Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again."

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts

Hi again jsa500,

I'm sincerely pleased that you've got ½ of the problem solved. :4-clap:

As for the wireless connection, I'm afraid that I'm a bit out of my depth here, so I will transfer this thread to our Network Support Forum, where one of the Network Gurus will surely be able to help you find a solution.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: drivers for hp compaq nc4010 [Moved from XP]

thanks dave.

I've noticed that when i press the button to activate wireless on my laptop i get a ding dong sound, but when i enable it again i get a dong dong dong sound. What do these noises mean? You get these a lot when connecting usb devices ive noticed. As far as i know the wireless adaptor is built in

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: drivers for hp compaq nc4010 [Moved from XP]

Its alright i've resolved the issue now. had an old driver installed for the wireless adaptor so it didn't know how to handle WPA-PSK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.