Tech Support Forum banner

SOLVED Driver update software

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  seanspcpower 
#1 ·
An article discussing a fix for a BSOD in Windows 10 recommends checking the drivers for updates and recommends Driver Easy to automate this. I've always been suspicious. A long time ago I followed a recommendation to update a soundcard driver and the sound disappeared. I'm particularly worried about updates to CPU drivers. I suppose I could take the list and manually check, but how often is it necessary to update critical hardware drivers? Any thoughts would be appreaciated.

#3 ·
I did a test run on my computer. There were 20 suggestions. A few of them I couldn't find in Device Manager. I ran "check for update" in Device Manager for four and all of them said the existing driver is current. I will use the software for troubleshooting but verify it manually.

#4 ·
Using third party driver updaters is just asking for a world of hurt. I've been in this business for many years, and have never seen one that doesn't eventually end up with the user in tears because their system ends up hosed.

There are three legitimate sources for drivers:
1. Windows Update.

2. Your computer's OEM Drivers & Downloads page for your make/model. This also extends to their own "service station" type software like Dell SupportAssist, HP Support Assistant, and similar from other computer OEMs.

3. The component manufacturer for a given component in your computer, e.g., Intel for an Intel WiFi card. On my HP machines, I am using Intel Driver & Support Assistant since Intel has been churning out driver updates at a dizzying rate during the Windows 10 era and these are not showing up in Windows Update or on the OEM driver & downloads pages (and I don't know if this is because Intel isn't sending them, or Microsoft and the OEMs are sitting on them).

#5 · (Edited)
A lot of websites out there promising their software will automagically update your drivers and I wouldn't trust any of them. I used to think that was the concencus here but I'm sure some of my learned colleagues ok'ed one of them and it may have been Driver Easy.

I like your approach take the info you get from them and use it without using their scanners.👍

Edit; Cross posted there with Bri but couldn't have said it better.

#6 · (Edited)
CORRECTION OF INCORRECT ORIGINAL LINK:

The only one I've ever seen advocated by, as you say, my learned colleagues is Snappy Driver Installer Origin, which happens to be maintained by a tech I know of on another forum.

I don't even use it, preferring to stick with my "Holy List of Three" given previously, but I know some who I respect who do.

MY DEEPEST APOLOGIES TO THE MEMBERSHIP (and Glenn) FOR THE ERROR.

#11 · (Edited)
#14 ·
Because it can't be answered. The answer is, in actuality, "Every time they're updated by the entity that issues them." The same is true for BIOS/UEFI.

But if someone wants an answer to the question, "How often should I check?," then I'd say three times per year is likely to be more than adequate. And if you use the "service station" type software from your computer's OEM or computer component's OEM then you won't even have to do that, as the software will be keeping an eye out on a continuous basis if you allow the "checker" part to run in the background, which is the default.

#15 ·
Unless you have latest Hardware (not yet on MS HCL), with models < 2 years old, MS will automatically update the driver and will also notify you of drivers with potential issues, and seems to get better v1909 an later.. So if Windows updates the drivers automatically let it do it;s thing, if you feel a specific driver is not upto your expectations go to the Vendor/Manufacturer's site and download that specific driver.

In a lot of cases, people fail to read the instructions, especially with BIOS updates, where some manufacturers explicitly state it's not required to be updated unless your have the 'issue' which is addressed in the changelog. So take Bri's sugesstions, validate if the Firware update is actually required before you do it..

If you're techie and deal with these a lot, you'll have set rhythm when you do this, else it's up to you.

The only exceptions are peripherals which are scarce, like DAWs, TV tuners, some printers etc where you would like more tweaking done to the hardware which is not available in the MS driver and the other is the GFX driver, which I'd recommend to update directly from the Chipset Manufacturer's site, frequency is up to you...

#18 ·
There are three, and only three, safe sources for driver updates:

1. Windows Update.

2. Your computer OEM's support pages, specifically their drivers & downloads page, for your make and model. This also extends to "service station" software issued by same such as HP Support Assistant and similar from any given computer manufacturer. These monitor their own databases for updated drivers.

3. A component OEM's support pages, e.g., Intel's support pages for a given WiFi card. This also extends to driver updater programs issued by those component makers, e.g., Intel Driver & Support Assistant. Intel, in particular, has been churning out driver updates at a blisteringly fast rate during the Windows 10 era, and those are not ending up in Windows Update nor on the computer OEM's support pages nearly as quickly as they're being made.

Virtually any other driver updater software is the road to madness and, very likely, infection of some sort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.