Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I rendered a movie in Sony Vegas as MP4, because that's the best quality combination I could get on the software. I have to present this movie in class tomorrow on a normal Windows HP laptop, that doesn't have anything but default playback software (Windows Media Player). I just wanted to make sure Windows plays .MP4 files by default without any extra codecs, programs, etc. I'm 99% sure it can, but I just wanted to make sure, instead of standing there with a black screen :p
Thanks!
Carpetfizz

· Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm using 9 Platinum, I appreciate your help a lot, but it's really late at night for me and I don't think I can wait for another render. However, optimal settings for the future for AVI and WMV files would be great! Thanks!

EDIT: Well I changed the extension from mp4 to AVI and Windows says the file type is a "Video Clip" instead of an MP4 file. I guess this will do for now.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,995 Posts
Re: Does Windows play MP4 files by default?

Download VLC player to a USB flash drive and install it before attempting to play your MP4 files. VLC will play just about any media file.

· Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spunk.funk said:
Download VLC player to a USB flash drive and install it before attempting to play your MP4 files. VLC will play just about any media file.
Thanks for the tip! Our laptops actually did have all the major players, including VLC and I had just underestimated them. My presentation went well, and thank you both for your help :)

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,995 Posts
Re: Does Windows play MP4 files by default?

You are Welcome! Please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.