Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am desperately short of disk space on an older PC and wonder if/how I can remove a lot of the Microsoft updates listed in Add/Remove Software since they've all been installed and appear to supersede each other. For example I have Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 so can I remove 1.1 and 2.0 and any similar situations?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Re: Disk space

I would not advise removal of any updates. You never know what you are going to break and you will gain nothing much from removal of updates anyways (most updates are only a MB or so). Your best bet would be to move personal files (like photos, videos, etc.) to an external hard drive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I've already removed all the files I possibly can which is why I was looking at the Microsoft updates as they say they're about 200Mb.

Wouldn't SP3 include all the previous updates for example?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

On the .net question: I don't think they're backwards-compatible. Like having version 3 doesn't cover versions 2 nor 1. You'd have to have all 3 separately. On that note, you don't really need .net unless you have a program that uses it. Most programs I've run into that require .net require version 2. I haven't run into any that requires version 1, 1.1, 3.0, or 3.5, but then I haven't played with that many programs.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

I would advise you to upgrade to a bigger hard drive in that case. You can get a whole TB for only about 100 bucks. Why struggle with inadequate hardware when it is so cheap?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You are welcome, and good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.