Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It can't have escaped people's attention that many programs opt to replace the conventional window title bar and borders with their own style. This makes the programs appear much more uniform across themselves; but ruins the flow of the rest of the UI- especially when using third-party msstyles. Is it at all possible to disable their ability to do this; forcing a Windows controlled titlebar and border on these programs. The sort of program I'm talking about is Windows Live Messenger (I think; I haven't used it for a long while), Spotify, Steam, Tune-Up Utilities, etc. I know it's probably more a matter of how these programs are written, but if it's possible to at least add a correct titlebar and border I'd love to know.

Cheers,
Dean

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Re: Disable application's control over the title bar and window borders?

Hi themoodude,

Such applications are made to specifically have their own GUI. You will not be able to change it's appearance without changing its source code, which is going to be a problem. You could request to their support/development team to add it as an extra feature, other than that you can not change it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Disable application's control over the title bar and window borders?

Cheers for the info; that is what I thought- but you never know these days; there may have been an override somewhere along the line.

Thanks mate.

·
Visiting Tech
1,519 Posts
there may have been an override somewhere along the line.
Override? No. An operating system (Windows, Linux, or whatever) is not intended to have absolute control over the "appearance" of the programs it runs. And that is as it should be.

Why? Because developers want their programs to be unique. Surely, Mozilla would not want Firefox to look and feel exactly like Internet Explorer. And Symantec would not want Norton Anti-virus to look like a Microsoft product either.

If the program in question does not allow the user to customize appearance, yell at the program developers. But understand the ability to customize the look and feel of a program adds many lines of code (bloat) to a program that do nothing for performance, and adds more potential for something to go wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.