Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Windows XP Pro SP3 running with the latest Nvidia drivers and a 8600GT.

I recently had to reinstall Fallout 3 because of a game glitch. After doing so the game prompted me to update my Dx9 drivers which it then did. Upon reboot I noticed an odd error in Dxdiag, it was saying I had no version of DX installed. So I downloaded the latest dx Pack from Microsoft and after trying to install it I get an error popup saying to refer to the DXError.log for details. Here is the log;

[12/06/08 00:15:47] module: dxdllreg(Jul 20 2007), file: dxdllreg.cpp, line: 119, function: RegisterDLL

Failed API: GetProcAddress()
Error: (127) - The specified procedure could not be found.

Module: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.dll, Function: DllRegisterServer

I've tried everything including a system restore, but nothing works. I'm at a loss at this point.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Re: Directx 9.0c Problem

Check your C:\Windows\System32 directory. Do you have a "mshtml.dll" ? If not, you can find one off the install disk (where I don't know, I've never done it, just read about it) and also sometimes they have these files actually stored on the C: driver somewhere. Or failing that you should be able to find one via Google.

Running sfc/ scannow might be the next step, on the chance that you have multiple missing/corrupted system files. You'll need to run Windows Update immediately after running sfc.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Thanks Fren, I actually figured out what it was and am here to update what I discovered. It seems that for some reason my registry entry for Directx was missing, but the files were all still where they should have been. So all I had to do was rewrite the registry entry and do a reinstall of directx from Microsoft. Here is the registry entry in question;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> DirectX

There should be two values in this key for the lastest Directx 9.0c Nov08,

one Binary called 'InstalledVersion' with a value of '00 00 00 09 00 00 00 00' <minus the quotes>

one String value named 'Version' with a value of '04.09.00.0904' <minus the quotes>

Once I wrote in the new key with those values everything was back to normal for me. Everything now checks out in Dxdiag again.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts

That's excellent work ! Glad you got the problem fixed. Did you find the solution via a link to another forum or support site ? If so, it might be useful to post it so that others can read up on what you learned and how.

Also, please mark your thread as "solved" via the thread tools, if you believe the problem is solved.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I was looking through the registry and noticed that the entry was missing. From there I decided to look at the registry of another computer running the same OS and directx version. I then compared all the directx file versions and registry settings and made the proper adjustments listed above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.