Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just built a machine from a whole load of components I bought some time ago and never got around to building til now. Built to play some games but not real cutting edge ones.

It ran for the first few days OK on internet etc running Firefox 8 no hassles watching TV programs online etc no issues.

Yesterday after I was happy it was stable I installed the first game Assassin's Creed Director's Cut.onto the second HDD. The first HDD has only the OS and Firefox on it.

At first it ran OK then the assassin started spinning on the spot after about 10 or 15 mins running. After that the PC switched off. After re-starting and entering the game again, after a few minutes it shut down again and did this a few times. I went looking for the most up to date graphics card driver I could find for the card I had installed (see below) the manufacturer's site was a little confusing but I think I installed the most recent driver I could find.

Then today after starting and playing the game for a few minutes the character started spinning again and the machine switched off again. I went looking to an alternative source for a driver and trid to download one and got this message:

error 1330 a file that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file c:\\windows\install\MS146.tmp has an invalid digital signature.This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt. error 266 was returned by winverifytrust.

So trying to google this message is when things really went wrong.

the PC does not accept commands normally from the keyboard would not (and still does not) display the letters as they should however as you can see whne the keyboard is used with another PC it works fine in every way.

Most keys are acting like Alt or Ctrl are being pressed. using the mouse on the desktop starts the wrong application or highlights multiple icons for editing or another use etc etc...

the whole thing is completely screwy and I have been trying to solve this since 6pm this evening it is now 3.29am and I need to go and lie down.

If anyone has any ideas I would really like to hear them I am baffled other than it seemed to be graphics related when it started.

This machine is currently connected to the problem 'new' machine via KVM and this one is working completely fine. When the k/bd and mouse are connected directly the the problem machine (no KVM) it makes no difference exact same problem whilst all the time this machine runs perfectly with the same kbd and mouse.

Any help or advice gratefully received......wrist slitting will be given due consideration.

OS is Windows Home - once installed it was fully updated from Windows Update first time install from this disc
2Gb RAM
2 x Samsung 320Gb one for OS one for programs
Processor AMD Athlon Dual Core 2 x 3Gb
MB Gigabyte S series for AMD Socket AM2
Graphics Card: Sapphire HD3870 512m GDDR4 PCI-E Dual (DVI/TVO)

All components brand new fresh out of boxes

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,707 Posts
Re: Desktop, Keyboard, Graphics card - Something is awfully wrong

I'm sure everyone responding will have a different opinion on where to start. Since you tried to cover the graphics issue, how about testing the 2nd HD for errors? I know it's new, but???

·
TSF Enthusiast
908 Posts
10 or 15 mins running. After that the PC switched off. After re-starting and entering the game again, after a few minutes
:exclaim: Random question alert! Have you checked to see your GCard has sufficient cooling? Sounds like it's timing out just perfect for the fan to not be spinning - Perhaps a trapped cable:question:

Most keys are acting like Alt or Ctrl are being pressed. using the mouse on the desktop starts the wrong application or highlights multiple icons for editing or another use etc etc... The whole thing is completely screwy
:exclaim: Sounds like the output is not matching up with your input - Again, this is likely GCard related!

:exclaim: What Wattage PSU have you got installed? Thinking it may not be man enough!?

:exclaim::exclaim::exclaim: Hold fire on the wrist action for a minute :exclaim::exclaim::exclaim: :biggrinje

And Corday has a massive point. Any chance you can take the slave out and slam it in your good machine and see if you can CHKDSK it, or even slap the master in there and boot in to Windows Home and see if you can get it to play nicely?!

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts

power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the k/board is set to qwerty in the control panel under region and language

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Hi again fellas,

Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

Here is an update. Since I last posted I have had a Blue Screen of Death Before the thing turned off I noticed that the file it mentioned was ATI something...so graphics card related...

Since it did that I have taken the Nuclear option. I have now flattened C drive and reinstalled Windows, just finished all the updates. I have just been to the ATI site and downloaded THEIR drivers for the graphics card's chipset.

Corday, I have not touched the Slave as yet. but I WILL run chkdsk on it. Assassin's Creed is still on it.

CriticalPoint, The graphics card has a fan onboard and that switches on and off as it heats up...or so it appears. Currently it is whirring away happily, as is the fan on the processor and the PSU fan. The side cover of the chassis is off at present it has never been fixed back on because of...well...all this crap :3angel1:

CriticalPoint and Dai, I did not use the standard 450w PSU that came with the case/chassis but installed a 600w one. It is made by EZcool and is their super silent PS-05 with a 12cm fan. If you need more info on the PSU I can provide it.

I will give you a further update once I have tried to use the machine a bit later on today. Going away for a few days tomorrow (Friday) and will be back on Tuesday so you might not hear from me for a bit after this evening.

Once again, thank you all for the input it is really appreciated. :beerchug:

PS: Wondering if I should get a new graphics card...this one was good when I bought it and although it is brand new.....it's outdated now. Since it is all seemingly graphics card related...that might solve it ????

PPS: The keyboard is definitely set to UK English etc etc

PPPS CriticalPoint...I am just down the road from you in Abingdon :luxhello:

·
TSF Enthusiast
908 Posts

Hi Chanter,

Enjoy your weekend and let us know if it frazzles again! Sounds like you've got it sorted for now though.

Perhaps save your save-game files and blitz the slave, chkdsk it and then reinstall the creed if all is well?

Speak soon - Crit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks Crit,

Going to the daughters awards ceremony at the school here in Abingdon this evening then around to Abingdon United football club for a few beers after our meal.

tomorrow drive to Newcastle upon Tyne sadly the Toon are not playing at home this weekend damn it but will meet up with some pals. Sunday going to see Dan Baird & Homemade Sin at the Academy in Newcastle in the office for meetings on Monday and then back down home on TGuesday.

Oh what a busy life I lead :wiggle2:

·
TSF Enthusiast
908 Posts

Didn't realise you were a fellow Oxford resident! Hell of a trip to Newcastle for a beer, like!

Have a good one - Hear from you soon!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

It is my sad duty to report that that the Nuclear option did not work.

System shutdown does still happen when I use the game for say 20 mins.

mid game about 20 mins in and instant off. As if I had held the switch down until it went off.

Slightly pissed off....but mostly concerned.

Think we can say it is not Windows safely now...not that I thought it was before.Despite the three fans (PSU, CPU and on the Graphics card) beginning to think this is an overheating issue and not the graphics card per se.

What do you guys think?

C.

PS...might not respond with more symptoms 'til I get home which will be Tuesday night now.

·
TSF Enthusiast
908 Posts

Hi Chanter,

I would upgrade the PSU - Perhaps borrow one (I would lend you one, but havn't got any - Sorry!) and see if that sorts the issue.

I'd bet a pint on it! :beerchug:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hi,

First of all, thanks again.

The board is a Gigabyte GA-M68SM-S2L it is connected to the PSU via a 24 pin connector and also a smaller 4 pin connector elsewhere on the board. I assume that's the 12v one.

Would this do the job???

CiT ATX POWER SUPPLY, 650w, dual 12v, low noise, PFC, 12cm fan, black edition

PSU SizeATXWattage650w dual 12v railFan Size12cmMain Connector20+4 pinP4 4-Pin 12v Connectorsx 14-Pin Molex Connectorsx 5SATA Connectorsx 2Floppy Drive Connectorsx 16-Pin PCIe Connectorsx 1PackagingRetail Boxed
AC Input: 230V 10A 50-60HzDC Output Max+3.3V+5V+12V 1+12V 2-12V+5V SB28A30A20A19A0.3A2.5A650W

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Or perhaps this one??

780w G7 ATX PSU

• High efficency 780w power supply
  • Supports the latest specifications of ATX12V and EPS12V
  • Supports systems with multi-core CPU and GPU technologies
  • High efficiency = better power consumption and less heat generated
  • Compliance with Energy Star with <1W standby power
  • Features Super Silent & Ultra Cool thermal-control with 12cm cooling fan
  • Extremely low noise (< 20dBA)
  • Passive PFC
  • Triple/Quadruple +12V outputs provide the highest level of stability and safety
  • Independent output circuitry for each voltage output, overcomes the limitations of traditional combined output design
  • Over Voltage Protection (OVP)
  • Over Power Protection (OPP)
  • Short Circuit Protection(SCP)
  • Under Voltage Protection(UVP)
  • Universal 24pin(20+4pin) Main ATX Power Connector x1
  • (4+4) Pin+12V Power Connector x1
  • 4 Pin (for HDD, CD-ROM..etc) x3
  • Floppy Connector (4Pin)x1
  • Serial ATA Power Connector x4
  • 6 Pin PCI-Express Connectors x2

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Yes I did look at that. It's why I asked and did not buy...I suspected you (or someone else) would say they were not up to the job.

What about this one then.........:neutral:

OCZ ZS Series 650W 80PLUS® Bronze Power Supply

The OCZ ZS Series PSU is the superlative solution for driving today’s value oriented gaming systems, and can power both NVIDIA® SLI™ and ATI CrossFire™ modes. Enthusiast-grade yet designed with gamers and modders in mind, this PSU is stable, robust, and sports a sleek look and compact form factor. Kept ultra-cool with a load-controlled 135mm fan, the OCZ ZS Series PSU was engineered to be the quiest PSU available in its class, eliminating distracting noises from your PC. Highly efficient, featuring up to 86.72% efficiency at typical load and up to 83% at full load, this leading-edge power supply remains rock solid and powerful while retaining superior efficiency under load.

The OCZ ZS Series PSU provides Active PFC (Power Factor Correction) to effectively regulate input voltage across worldwide power grids and maintain an economical, stable supply of power. Available in configurations ranging from 550W to 750W and backed with OCZ’s 3-year “power swap” warranty, the OCZ ZS Series PSU gives you the ultimate power and peace of mind to ensure the stability, low noise, optimized air flow, and efficiency of your gaming system.

Features OCZ PowerWhisper™ Technology
Internal 135mm ball-bearing fan
Can power SLI™ and CrossFire™ GPU Configurations
ATX 12V v2.2 and EPS 12V
86% Efficiency (Typical Load)
Overvoltage/Overcurrent/Short-Circuit protection
Active PFC
MTBF: 100,000 hours
3 years warranty backed by OCZ’s exclusive PowerSwap™ replacement program

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,707 Posts

A factor probably mentioned somewhere in TSF is the higher the wattage, the more heat produced (and more noise made), hence the greater cooling required. Also I noticed the unit you're specking has a $20.00 manufacturers rebate. Serious gaming PSUs start at around $200 and go up to ~.

·
TSF Enthusiast
908 Posts

did you bother looking at this
Nice DAI, nice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Since I am not a full time 'professional' gamer and simply an occasional player I have gone with the 650w OCZ I posted earlier.

I think I will have to get a side extractor type fan to drag the extra heat out though. Do you think that would be beneficial??

Certainly if it gets good and hot I might be able to leave the central heating off and save on the gas bills :beerchug:

errrrr dunno what I will do in the summer though :suprised:

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts

side and front fans are intakes

top and rear exhaust

the ozc should be fine in your system

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

side and front fans are intakes

top and rear exhaust

the ozc should be fine in your system
Dai, can I just not turn it around so it blows out not in?

Especially since I have not fitted it yet....:neutral:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.