Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why?:
I use to play the game Runescape quite a bit. I've since quit for quite a long while, but now I'm coming back. As such, being the enthusiast that I am, I want to do something to help out the Runescape community in some way. Well, i sparked an idea! IRC channels often use bots to help people look up information rather quickly. A command like "!attack Hellfire010" would look up the attack stat of the username 'Hellfire010' (me) from the highscores (which now has a conveniente url that contains only int values on the wepage (useful!)) So, I figured why not implement this idea into an AIM bot? But, I really need some help in this.

What?:
Well, I want to design a program that can be installed into a screenname on AOL Instant Messager. Of course, I have very little idea of how to do this. Hence, I come here. Anywho, I wrote up some psuedo-code. Maybe it will help people understand what I mean.

if(first IM)
{
Display: Intro Paragraph
Type !help to see a list of commands.
}

if(User enters "!help")
{
Display: List of commands
}

else if(UserEnteredString=="!example")
{
. . .
perform task
. . .
)

else
{
Display: Some message
}

Tasks may include (not limited to):
  • Getting commands from the IMer via IM.
  • Looking up an int value from a webpage that looks something like this: 1 11 11111111 1 11 1111111 etc... where the example 1s represent some values.
  • Looking up strings and integers from a normal webpage by using its search feature.
  • Displaying text in the IM window and IMing it.
  • Obviously, displayed the result in the IM window and IMing it.

My Programming Background:

As mentioned, I am somewhat limited in programming thus far. Last year, my highschool offered a class "Logic for Programming" where we learned basic C++. By basic, I mean the furthest thing may have been functions, loops, if statements, and arrays. This year, I'm taking "AP Computer Science" where we are learning Java and some computer concepts. To be honest, the class goes too slow for me and I've read ahead in my text book (nerd much?). So, I basically understand the common syntax and the basics about using classes. Additionally, I am well versed in HTML and some CSS. I basically taught them to myself via w3schools.com and experimentation.

What I want from you:
  • Some guidelines about how to start, what I need, what language to use, etc. Perhaps some syntax to refresh my memory or help me out.
  • Helpful tips
  • Internet resources regarding this subject, if any. I researched it a little elsewhere, but found very little.

· Registered
7,375 Posts
Re: Designing an AIM Bot

This is a "white hat forum" which means that we can't help you do anything that is illegal, i play runescape to and i remember them making it against the rules to use/create a program that gave someone an unfair advantage over another player. And a aim bot definatly violates the contract that you agreed to (which will get your guy banned if not your ip)

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

This type of bot is not against any sort of Runescape rules. It does nothing more than lookup highscores, price lists, and such information (all of which is accepted and supported by Jagex Ltd.). It does not interact with the actual game in anyway. I would prefer that you understood what I was asking before you make such accusations.

If you have any doubts, you can view their rules here:
http://www.runescape.com/kbase/viewcategory.ws?cat_id=823

Particularly, Rule 7 - Using Third Party Software

This includes, but is not limited to the following third party software:
  • Software that attempts to communicate directly with the RuneScape game worlds.
  • Software that monitors, modifies or decrypts the communications between the RuneScape applet and the RuneScape worlds.
  • Software that generates input to the RuneScape applet. This includes software that automatically moves the mouse pointer or generates mouse clicks or key presses.
  • Modified or replacement versions of the RuneScape applet. Reverse engineering the RuneScape applet is strictly prohibited. Using a modified version of the RuneScape applet is not permitted for any reason.
A bot for AOL Instant Messager bot does not fall into this category. It is no more against the rules than using their built in highscores or forum system.

Jagex supports looking up highscores through this link, provided by them.
http://hiscore.runescape.com/index_lite.ws?player=YourUsername
Where YourUsername can be replaced by any user, for example:
http://hiscore.runescape.com/index_lite.ws?player=Hellfire010

· Registered
899 Posts

"AIM bot" is a term used for cheating programs that help the user aim their weapon - since this is talking about an AOL IM program, it would probably be best to stop calling it "AIM Bot" to avoid confusing :p

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Excuse the double post, the edit link is missing for me.

Forget about this thread. To be honest, I've searched endlessly for information regarding this subject, and what I have found is not what I wanted to hear. As such, I've decided to go about my idea in a slightly different way.

Thanks for your help anyway.

· Registered
899 Posts
It's not so much "missing" as much as it's just that you (and me) just don't have it enabled on our accounts. I think this is just to protect the content originally posted, so people won't go back and remove everything they do. It does kind of make it a pain to write any sort of thread that you intend on updating frequently (using the first post as the "index" for the thread's always-updating content) ... but most people shouldn't need it unless they're trying to fix a typo or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.