Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Desktop computer with Windows Xp. No matter how many times I insert and remove a disk the computer will not load it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Re: Dell XP will not load disk

Is bios set to boot from cd first then c drive? It can be a little tricky to set up that way if you arent in bios much.
Is the cd in the cd drive when you power the computer up?
Just basic questions, but we need to know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Is bios set to boot from cd first then c drive? It can be a little tricky to set up that way if you arent in bios much.
Is the cd in the cd drive when you power the computer up?
Just basic questions, but we need to know.
I have never used bios and am not sure what it is. I have tried putting the CD in the drive and having it there when I boot up and I have tried after the computer has booted up inserting and removing it numerous times. The disk is a greeting card software that I have installed but need to put the disk in to use if this helps.

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts

What happens if you put the disk in and run the greeting card program? Does it ask you to insert the CD?

If you have AutoRun turned off for the CD drive, nothing will happen when you put it in. And most software install disks are not bootable, usually only OS and Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware disks.

Also, if you have two CD/DVD drives, try the other one.

Jerry

·
Registered
447 Posts

When you turn on (boot up) the computer, there is a msg at the top of the screen to push f2 or f12 to set up (bios) do it fast as its only there for a couple seconds. System set up is the screen you want, under the menu system, look for boot sequence, use your up/down arrows to navigate.
When you get to boot sequence, read the note at the bottom of the screen. You should have onboard cd-rom drive selected as 1. Use the letter U or D to move cd drive to nr 1. Leave it there always.
Assuming the cd drive works, and you can use it normally, if you have a real XP cd in the cd bay (place it in before you shut down the computer)
Upon starting the computer, the cd will start the choices to install XP and so on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I tried running the program with the disk in and it asked me to insert the disk, I hit retry and it said there was no disk. I adjusted the bios settings like 'rosiesdad' said and that didn't work. Thanks for all of your ideas so far.

·
Registered
70 Posts

when i had to reinstall my Dell's operatin system...i was just like you!

to make it work i first booted up my computer how ever far into boot up it got to(bios, any eroor messages) insert the Dell's operatin system disc into the DVD TRAY, i have dual drives cd and dvd. needs to be in dvd tray. with your BIOS boot up squence to cd drive first....i beleive. After that it loaded up no problems. keep trying differnt orders and different things....it might just go.

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts

Can you see the CD drive in My Computer/Windows Explorer?
If not, can you see it in Disk Management? (Start | Run, type diskmgmt.msc, press Enter)

If you can see it in My Computer/Windows Explorer, when you double click the CD drive with this disk in, do you get an error, or can you see the files?
If you get an error, try another CD and see if you can see the files on any CD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Can you see the CD drive in My Computer/Windows Explorer?
If not, can you see it in Disk Management? (Start | Run, type diskmgmt.msc, press Enter)

If you can see it in My Computer/Windows Explorer, when you double click the CD drive with this disk in, do you get an error, or can you see the files?
If you get an error, try another CD and see if you can see the files on any CD.
I cannot see the disk in Windows Explorer. However, when I ran Disk Managment it seemed to refresh the drive enough to get the disk to load. After running disk management I opened the Greeting Card program and it did not ask me to insert the disk.

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR IDEAS AND SUPPORT

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts

Hopefully you can now see the disk in Windows Explorer as well. IF so, You can mark this thread as Solved by clicking Thread Tools near the top right of this thread.

If not, we can work on getting it fixed all the way.

Jerry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.