Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im having some issues. I have a DELL inspiron 5100 laptop and i just recently removed a virus that almost destroyed my hard drive, I got it to work fine but after a few days of use it started to freeze up on the DELL loading screen on the start up, i accidently pressed the F12 key and it took me to a screen with different ways to start up XP, like through the Hard drive or a disk.
i selected to run offthe hard drive and it froze up any help?:4-dontkno

thanks

·
TSF Enthusiast
601 Posts
Re: Dell inspiron 1500 laptop freezes after DELL loading screen

hi, after you hit F12 did you see the diagnostics program at all? Ordinarily I would say It may be worthwhile running a scan on the hard drive if you can. But, I see you removed a virus, can you tell me if it was with the help of the antimalware section on this forum? or did you just remove it yourself? I need to know if you are absolutely sure you removed all traces of the virus - if you had the help of a forum they would have given you the "all clear". Have you tried starting in safe mode at all?

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
1,172 Posts

Hi Mo, I will be glad to assist you with this issue but I need about an hour. I will post back what to do then and we will get this fixed up for you. If you have access to another computer with internet access look through this link to see if it helps. Be back in a little while.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6031733.html

Patmark

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

thnx i rele need to my laptop fixed so i can take it down to Fort Knox to see my older brother who is currently in basic training. :smile:

·
1,172 Posts

Mo, Auntej whom I respect greatly is absolutely correct here we have to make sure that the virus is completely gone from your system before proceeding. Here are some questions that will allow us to help you resolve this issue. Please answer them to the best of your ability.
Just answer them the best you can and if you dont know an answer its ok. If you already answered anything I'm asking in your first post just skip over it.

1). What kind of computer do you have? Laptop? Desktop? Dell, HP, Ect?
2). Whats your level of experience? Novice, intermediate, expert, or dont know squat?
3). What operating system are you using? Xp Home or XP Pro?
4). What antivirus are you using?
5) Please tell us a little about your computer. How old is your computer? Hard drive, processor, ram, Bios ver. Ect.
6). Do you have an Xp disk for this computer?
7). Does your computer have a floppy drive, CD drive, Ect.?
8). Do you have access to another working computer with an internet connection?
9). Did you noticed this problem occuring after installing anything recently?
10). Has your computer done a windows update recently?
11). Do you want to wipe it clean and start from scratch or just try to repair it without loss of data?
and anything else that might help us help you. Remember we are trying to help from a forum so all we have to go on is what you can tell us.

I will continue to monitor this thread throughout the day to see your response. If you resolve this issue please let us know so that we can move on to other peoples issues, as I like to work with someone until a resolution has been achieved before moving on.

Thank you
Patmark

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

1. laptop
2.novice
3.XPhome
4.AVG 9.0 free
5.6yrs old 32gb hard drive(not too good) 256mb RAM
6. yes, missing
7. CD drive 2 USB ports
8.yes
9. no, came out of nowhere
11. either one doesnt matter

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

sorry, i have 2 256 mb RAM cards sorry bout that

·
1,172 Posts

Well Mo, I think since it was a virus the best thing to do would be to format it and do a clean install at this point, providing that you can afford to lose the data thats on the hard drive and if you understand that your going to have to reinstall all your drivers and redo your internet connection, Ect. We could certainly do a repair without losing any data as well but I cant be sure that that will eliminate the virus if its still there someplace hiding. However in both cases you will have to either find your copy of the Win XP CD or borrow one from a friend if your able. Let me know if your able to find a CD and which one you would like to do and I will give you step by step instructions on how to proceed. Oh and by the way did you look at the link I provided in my previous post? Please open it up and take a look as it may give you some other options to use. Its a great link to fix this problem. Let me know.

Patmark

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I took a look, but the boot.ini thingy is corrupt and so are the buck ups, i think ill have to completely restart, ill lose all my music i got but i need this, im currently searching for my disc it cud be in a million places right now

·
1,172 Posts

Ok Mo, I hope you can find it buddy, those pesky things are notorious for hiding themselves. LOL

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

yup ill continue to search ill post something the moment i find it

·
1,172 Posts

Mo theres a really bad storm here and I have to shut down until its over. I'll check on you as soon as the storm is over.

Patmark

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

i have one last place to find the disc, im positive its there itll be a while its in a storage garage down the road

·
Registered
453 Posts

patmark,

pardon me, but may i make a suggestion?

to be on the safe side, i think it would be a good idea for mo to use a program like "driver max" to make a copy of the drivers (if possible) and store them (flash drive, disc, whatever). then you know for certain you, at least, have them.

by the way, you do a nice job helping these folks.:smile:

·
1,172 Posts

Thanks for the kind words James, and yes thats a wonderful idea. Remember though his computer is froze up and he's unable to do anything with it right now. If you know a way for him to do this with his computer the way it is right now please post the instructions for him as that would be most helpful.. Thank you for the help its always appreciated.

Patmark

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yes it would be great, thnx for the idea james. The only files im really concered on losing are my music, some are on discs and some arnt. PS: im still searching for the disc ill get it ASAP

·
Registered
453 Posts

perhaps get driver max on a flash drive, go into safe mode, and maybe the backup can work while there.

i worry about things and i just don't want to see mo unable to get the drivers.

my fault for not paying close enough attention.

·
1,172 Posts

Ok James thank you buddy your doing just fine. :) Lets work on this one together and see if we can help Mo get it working right, when he finds his disk. Sound like a plan?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

is there a way i can do this without the disc or no

·
Registered
453 Posts

my suggestion was strictly related to getting those drivers, but i will offer suggestions where i can clearly see they wont do harm.

a repair, meaning "windows over windows" where the repair option is selected after the f8/eula agreement, wouldn't require new drivers, would it? you would still have the old drivers, and all the data. i think this is what you may be gunning for.

i was thinking in case of the complete reinstall. then drivers would be needed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.