Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reinstalled Windows XP, removed a stick of bad ram, installed my nVidia drivers and all my games have this crappy green mesh on my screen

:sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh:

Any help????

Im downloading the latest drivers now....

Attachments

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visitng Expert
4,279 Posts
Re: Crazy Green Mesh ???!!!!??

Hello blank85 :smile:

Did you install all the drivers from the manufacturer? Chipset etc?

I think the problem will be the video drivers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I installed the video drivers that ive been using for the past couple months, downloading the new ones now.

They've always worked in the past , this problem has only arisen since i formatted.
I also uninstalled and reinstalled the gcard drivers....

Downloading the new ones now, heres another screenie, its not just affecting warcraft...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,641 Posts

This computer ?

MB: Albatron K8SLI-AM2
HDD: Western Digital 320gb SATA
GFX Card: Inno 3D GeForce 8600 GT 256 mb DDR2
RAM: 4 x 512MB

What power supply do you use ? Memory sticks don't get bad on their own, a common cause is bad voltages from a failing power supply. An underpowered power supply could in turn cause overheating, graphic glitches or damages to the video card.

Open the computer case and report what you'll find on the sticker that's on the side of the power supply block (brand, model, wattage, amperage on the 12V rail). Check that there's no dust on the fans and heatsinks and that all the fans (CPU, video card, power supply) are spinning properly.

Enter the BIOS at startup and search for the hardware monitor or pc health status screen. Report your temps, fan speeds and voltages from there.

See if you can test your video card in another computer.

If the hardware is fine then as Dunedin said it could also be a driver problem.

Install the sound drivers and drivers package for Win XP : http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/Product/MB/pro_detail.asp?rlink=Driver&no=235
Don't install the nvidia firewall, many users have had problems with it.

Download the latest drivers from nvidia (175.16), uninstall the ones you had installed (add/remove programs), restart the computer in safe mode and install the new drivers there. If those drivers don't work then try the drivers that are recommended on Inno3D's website (94.24) : http://www.inno3d.com/support/download_inno3d.html

Go to start => run and type devmgmt.msc. Go to view and tick show hidden devices. Make sure all the devices are working properly, if any of them is flagged with a yellow exclamation point, a red cross or whatever report here.

Go to start => run and type dxdiag. Check that you have the latest version of Directx, should be at least 9.0c. Run the DirectDraw and Direct3D tests. Check that it detects your video card properly.

Install SP2 and all the latest critical updates from Windows update.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Can you post a screen shot of your device manager to us so we can see it?

The drivers that were referenced earlier are special drivers that have to be installed after an installation of windows so the computer runs correctly. here is an explaination:

Since windows was re-installed the thing that has to be done is to install all of the special drivers like chipset, buss, network, audio, video and others, they can be installed in any order you wish and can be found on the system recovery disk set for the computer if it is an OEM like Compaq, Dell etc. or if you do not have a recovery disk set the drivers can be found on the manufacturers web site for either the motherboard or the manufacturer of the computers web site. You can download these drivers and burn to a CD-R and then install those following instructions to reboot when asked.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Ok so they replaced the memory stick which got rid of all related problems and they replaced the graphics card,from a 8600gt ddr2 to a 8600gt ddr3, but after 4 weeks of working fine the exact same green mesh has arisen.

Before the green mesh appeared for the second time i was trying to watch a movie on my 54cm analog tv using video out,as i have done countless times before,but it refused to work, i then tried to play some COD4 and noticed the green mesh.

Could my aging tv have damaged the video card through the tv out?
Or is the culprit my power supply (500w)?

MB: Albatron K8SLI-AM2
HDD: Western Digital 320gb SATA
GFX Card: Inno 3D GeForce 8600 GT 256 mb DDR2
RAM: 4 x 512MB

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Power Supply: 3D Technologies switching power supply, Model ATX-220v 500w-PIV
Volatage :220v, Amperage: 4A, Frequency :50-60HZ
Dc Output Max: yellow,+12v, 21A

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Are there other hardware components that can harm a videocard? Such as my motherboard ??

Im assuming its the PSU considering that it seemingly fried a ram stick and 2 graphics cards......

·
Registered
6,641 Posts

Are you sure they replaced the video card with a new one ?

From your second screenshot the 2D seems ok and the glitches only appear in 3D applications. Could be an overheating issue, an issue with the video card itself or a problem with the power supply. A problem with the motherboard would be weird since 2D is ok.

Enter the BIOS at startup (repeatedly press del) and report your temps, fan speeds and voltages. If you can't find a screen that reports those values in the BIOS then download and install speedfan and report your temps and voltages within Windows.

Try another power supply.

Uninstall all your current nvidia and nforce drivers using add/remove programs then download the latest nforce chipset drivers for your motherboard (last drivers package in the list : LAN,SMBus,IDE,SATA RAID Driver) and the latest video drivers from nVidia. Restart the computer in safe mode (repeatedly press F8 when the computer starts) and install the drivers you just dowloaded there, starting with the chipset drivers.

Go to start => run and type dxdiag. Go to the display tab and run the direct daw and direct 3D tests.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Yes they definitely did because the first card was a DDR2 and the new card is sporting a sticker thats says DDR3, so unless "PE Technologies" has some maliciously sly employees i assume its a new card. Possibly a returned card as i didnt get a box with it.

Well my case is very well ventilated and i started the pc up this morning, it is very very cold here, and the problem was there instantly,so no time for the vcard to overheat.

So if the problem occured over two cards must it therefore be the PSU??

I cant do any tests as i have no onboard graphics and the buggered one has been couriered to the supplier....

Im sure there are no driver problems as ive been using the same drivers for months.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
6,641 Posts

If there's no drivers problem then uninstalling and reinstalling the latest drivers can't do any harm, on the contrary. It looks like an hardware issue to me but let's reinstall those drivers first to rule out the software.

Please report your temps, voltages and fan speeds.

The TV can't screw your video card, it only gets the signal from the video card, it doesn't send anything back. If they changed the video card you can rule that out anyway.

If you have a friend with a desktop computer you could also test your video card in his computer.

What are the dxidag tests results ?

I'll move you to the video card support section.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Re: Crazy Green Mesh ???!!!!?? [Moved from XP]

The green mesh looks like faulty video RAM, possibly caused by overheating or a weak PSU. As your PSU only has 21 amps on the +12V line and PCIE graphics card need a minimum of 26 amps, this is probably the cause.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ok so i have lent a geforce 6200 from a friend...

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers (nvidia 169) prior to the courier collecting the buggered 8600gt, that didnt help so i uninstalled and installed more recent drivers (nvidia 175) which didnt help either. So im confident the drivers arnt to blame.

As i said my case is well ventilated (3 fans) so i doubt its overheating, the only cause can be the PSU i guess, it being 5 amps below minimum and all! (Thanks koala)

Maby using the tv coincided with the videocard skrewing out because dual screen adds to the workload??

While playing a game of Dota my GPU temp was about 55 degrees celcius and my CPU (AMD 4600+ AM2) temp about 50 degrees celcius.

Speedfan wouldnt pick up any voltages though? Basically just reported temperatures...
The voltages section was bare...

So i assume i should crap "PE Technologies" out and demand a new PSU with 26 amps+ on the 12v rail??

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Inno3D tech support has confirmed that the 8600GT requires at least 25 amps on the 12v rail. My 21 amp piece o crap PSU shall be discarded ASAP, hopefully the cheapskate retailer will refund or replace.

Thanks for all your help guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.