Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I want to thank anyone for their help in advance. I appreciate that you all are willing to volunteer your time to help those who are clueless, or like me at a loss.

I also apologize for writing so much, I want to be thorough.

About a month ago my computer suddenly stopped connecting to networks, both wired and wireless. Though I am not sure of it. I believe it had something to do with Cisco's VPN client. I uninstalled all antivirus and spyware and firewall programs.

In the beginning I was unable to connect wirelessly and wired, but after bringing the computer to my schools helpdesk, we were able to get the wired to work (all we did was uninstall and reinstall a few times, and restarted the computer.)

The Wireless adapter I have is intel AGN 5100. At the time that we got the Wired to work, the wireless was saying limited connectivity, some time after that it said nothing. It would not recognize any networks. After a lot of troubleshooting I finally gave up on that network adapter.

I figured I would try to use a Wireless Usb adapter, I bought an AirLink 101 AWLL5088. This has helped a little bit, I am able to see the different networks and even attempt to connect. All it says is "Windows is unable to connect to Bruno".

I have attempted uninstalling and reinstalling drivers many times, I really think I have tried all of the go to fixes but this seems to be a deeper problem. I would just reinstall windows and start fresh. But my computer has no CD drive, and I no longer have the disk. Also reinstalling from an image is not an option for some reason.

My provider is Wideopenwest, wowway.
And the type of internet is Cable

I currently have no antivirus or spyware or adware programs.

What can I try?

Attachments

·
Registered
20,461 Posts
Re: Computer is unable to connect to any networks

Welcome to TSF,

Thanks for the information that you have provided, very helpful.

The Wi-Fi adapter is not showing in your ipconfig/ all output.

Not having any AV or Security Software is not safe. Please download free MSE:
Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

Scan your computer for any possible infections. Along with MSE, please install and run SuperAntiSpyware, the Free Edition. There's no need to post the logs.

See if those helps and find out if you're able to wireless connect. Please let us know if it helps or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Sorry I was not more clear, I did have anti virus. I had Avast and ran it daily. When I read online that there could be a problem with antivirus or firewall I removed everything to see if that helped with the problem. I did not have any viruses when the problem arose. I will try those anti virus programs if you think that they might do a better job!

·
Registered
20,461 Posts

Along with my previous suggestion, download the latest driver of your Intel device from Intel Site, then log on to Safe Mode with Networking by restarting your computer then tapping F8 and selecting this Option.

In this mode, go to Device Manager, uninstall your Intel Driver, then install the new driver. Log back on to Normal Mode and see if you can replicate the issue or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I tried installing drivers in safemode+networking. It is still saying no connections are available.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Update. I got a chance to install and run MSE and superantispyware. they found nothing, and the problem persits. I am still unable to see any networks with the built in wireless. I am however able to see networks with the usb adapter just unable to connect.

·
Registered
20,461 Posts

Now, we get to see it with an issue of course.
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8188CU Wireless LAN 802.11n US
B 2.0 Network Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-2F-3A-52-CF
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Let's reset the TCP/IP and Winsock.
Click on Start=> All Programs => Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log press enter
Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log press enter
Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog press enter

Restart the computer after and test your connection after.

==========================
Verify that all your Network Services are Started from Control Panel.
Click on start and type services.msc press enter. On Dependency Tab, check the Dependencies make sure that they are also Started.

• COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
• Computer Browser
• DHCP Client
• DNS Client
• Network Connections
• Network Location Awareness
• Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
• Server
• TCP/IP Netbios helper
• WLAN AutoConfig (for Vista and Windows 7 only)
• Workstation

A report of your progress will be nice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

1-after resetting TCP/IP and Winsoc the situation did not change.

2-Now I after going through that list to see if they are started this is what I found. The only one that was not started was computer browser, it is set to manual.

Edit- could you please explain the dependancy tab? I am not seeing one

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Okay thanks for the clarification. It appears the only one that was not started was Computer browser

·
Registered
20,461 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I tried to do this. But for some reason my computer has not made any restore points.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

there is the two you told me to install yesterday, SUPERantiSpyware, microsoft security essentials, also malwarebytes' anti-malware. These are the only three that I am seeing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Hello, Sorry to bring this thread back up.. But I was playing around with it, and I tried connecting to one of my neighbors unsecured networks. And I was able to connect. So it seems like my computer is not connecting to networks that are protected by a password. Does this give any clues for a solution?

I am going to search around the internet as well, but I thought I would update.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.