Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not certain which thread to post under .. but:

My daughter was viewing videos on YouTube, and all of a sudden the screen just froze. I tried alt/cntrl/dlt .. but nothing! I then shut the system down and restarted, and itoads all the way back to where you select a User .. but is frozen there. The cursor is in the middle of the screen, and everything is dead!

Can anyone help .. please?

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,938 Posts
Re: Computer Frozen -

Can you fill in the blanks with system info so we can help you please...just whatever is relevant.

Computer: Brand Name & Model #

Age of system and relevant components if different :

CPU: Brand, speed

Ram: Type, amount, speed

PSU: Make and model (wattage)

Operating system: Windows 98, 98SE, ME, XP Home, XP Pro, Vista or Other

Do you run Anti-Virus software: Brand Name, version #, is it up to date?

[/COLOR]For Video or Graphic problems:

Video Card: Brand Name, type, speed, Chipset, driver version and date

Video settings: resolution, advanced settings

For Internet problems:

Modem: Brand name and date of driver

Type connection: dial-up, cable, sat/DSL, other

Browser: IE, Netscape, Firefox, Sea Monkey and version #

For Network problems:

LAN or ethernet card(s) or adapters: Brand, # of cards

Router: Brand name, type

# machines on network

Network settings and IP configuration

Please state your specific problem and when it started

Did you change anything, install any hardware or software before the problem started?

List any recently installed software

List software running in background ie: anti-virus program, mail programs, backup software.

(Run,msconfig,ok,startup) and what is checked

Any power disruption or incomplete shutdowns

Failed Scandisk/chkdsk or defrag attempts

Use of any “tune-up” utilities, registry utilities, system diagnostics, other third party utility software

Recent downloaded software

This information may be of critical importance in locating and correcting the source of your problem. Please note any additional information or detail about the problem that may be of value in our assessment of the problem.

Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hmmm .. that's a lot for a non-technical guy, who can't get into the PC to get you the answers. It's a Dell Dimension E520 with a fairly new (6 months) Seagate 500 SATA, 16MB CACHE, 7200 RPM hard drive .. OS is Windows XP.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,938 Posts

Well you see you actually gave us enough. I said choose what is relevant and make and model of pc is sufficient along with hard drive.
Now that said this does not sound good because what you are describing is possible bad hard drive and Seagate's are known for that early in my shop, so I do not recommend them.
Your Windows XP reinstallation cd qualifies as a Windows cd to run checkdisk which you need to do here:
CHKDSK - How to run from the Recovery Console

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Oh great! Haven't gotten the box and receipt out yet .. but wonder if there is a warranty on the hard drive?

Also .. I don't have the disc for the XP .. one of the IT guys at work put it in and installed the XP for me.

Any recommendations on a lower priced ($400 + or - ) laptop for now. I still like having a desktop thohgh, and will get it fixed, or replaced in the future.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts

Download the Recovery Console ISO. Burn it to CD with IMGBurn Boot off of the CD and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
You can also download the ISO image for Seatools, or WD DataLifeGuardin my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn also in my signature and boot off of the newly created CD and run the Quick and Advanced tests on the HDD to test the integrity of the drive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Not sure exactly what it is (or was) .. but I got signed in to my user ID by using the TAB key to get to my sign on .. and then for some reason I thought maybe it was the mouse since it was inactive on the screen. My mouse is (was) a cordless one, and I did try the reset button, which did not work. The batteries were fine, and the lights were on in the mouse. I had another corded mouse which I tried (tried this earlier actually) .. and this time it worked! Switched out the mouse .. ran my SUPERAntiSpyware ... nothing really abnormal there. Seems to be just fine now.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts

If this solved your problem please mark this thread solved in the thread tools at the top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.