Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies first. I have placed this post on the Chrome Forum, but the activity does not give me any confidence of an answer. I do have confidence in the response and help level shown by TSF, so I hope you excuse me for tapping your brains. Here is my post :-
I have Windows XP, SP3 which is supported by Microsoft and will be until some time in 2014.

I tried to update Chrome and got this message :-

"Update failed (error: 7)An error occurred while checking for updates: Installation failed because your version of Windows is not supported.
Google Chrome"

Just when I was beginning to develop a liking for Chrome as a good second string browser.

I did complete their feedback form, but was informed that there is a monumental waiting list for replies. Presumably anybody over 20 years old need not bother to respond with the average UK national life expectancy set at a mere 78-80 years.

Well, what a surprise. I would think that half the world is on Windows XP and most of these have SP3.

How does Chrome expect me to leave my impeccable Firefox with a message like that ? Or do they expect me to throw away my XP and invest in Windows 7 or even 8 when Microsoft have stopped hiking up the price ?

Well, no Windows 7 for me or Chrome either if I cannot update.

Can anybody please tell me why Chrome is behaving like this and of course how I can fix it without re-inventing the wheel ?

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Re: Chrome updating does not support Windows XP, SP3

Hello again, yabbadoo. Try this suggestion from Google Support - Error 7 - Google Chrome Help
Issue

This error is most likely due to a problem with the Application folder on your computer during the installation process.

Solution

To resolve this issue, delete the Application folder, then try installing again. Follow these steps (for Windows):

1. Go to the Start menu > Run.

2. Enter one of the following commands in the text field, depending on your operating system.
Windows XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome
Windows Vista: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome

3. Click OK.

4. Delete the Application folder. If you're having difficulty deleting this folder, check for active Google Chrome processes on your computer and end them. Here are a few ways to locate and shut down these processes:
  • Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete on your keyboard and click Task Manager. Click the Processes tab and end every process that includes "google" or "chrome" in its name.
  • Download a third-party program called Process Explorer at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx. Use its Find menu to search for "Chrome/Application," then end all resulting processes.

Now try deleting the Application folder again.

5. Once the Application folder is deleted, try installing Google Chrome again.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hello again, yabbadoo. Try this suggestion from Google Support - Error 7 - Google Chrome Help
Back again Koala, you deserve a big sprig of Eucalyptus tree for helping me like this on my tiny problems.

I will try this, it looks promising. Actually the practical presence of this Error message in blacking poor old Granny Windows XP, SP3 aged and wrinkled torso is silly. The procedure looks fairly safe and with Chrome being a second fiddle which I rarely use, I feel OK about it.

Hey - Koala, have you seen my last post on the Firefox 11.0/TSF love affair ? I have solved it - WHOOPEE !

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts

Yeah, I just saw the Firefox thread now. Congratulations!

So it was down to the text zoom level. I still think there's more to it though, because I can adjust the zoom levels of the text and website separately without affecting each other, but I can't completely reproduce your problem in FF 11 or 19.

If you're subscribed to the other thread, Admin Mark should be back with some technical details in the next few days.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Yeah, I just saw the Firefox thread now. Congratulations!

So it was down to the text zoom level. I still think there's more to it though, because I can adjust the zoom levels of the text and website separately without affecting each other, but I can't completely reproduce your problem in FF 11 or 19.

If you're subscribed to the other thread, Admin Mark should be back with some technical details in the next few days.
Thanks again. I know it is not a comprehensive solution, because it only affects TSF and no other site, but it will do me fine. I will put up with the smaller font size.

You have most certainly answered this thread, I am sure when I do what you pointed out, Chrome will be OK on updating Win XP,SP3

This post on the Chrome Forum has only had 5 views and no replies. Apart from being courteous, I will leave it to fade away like an old soldier.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I have just discovered an astonishing thingy.

I always enter the Internet using Sandboxie for obvious reasons. That is what Sandboxie is for.

Having asked for help on this Chrome updating failure with my Windows XP, SP3, I opened Chrome without Sandboxie and IT UPDATED perfectly !

I then opened Chrome using Sandboxie and updating FAILED !

So the problem is NOT with Chrome, it is a Sandboxie problem. I will have to go into the Sandboxie configuration and see where the problem is.

My thread was raised in genuine innocence and I am sorry for wasting your time. But perhaps it is not a waste of time, my information should be of value to other Chrome users who may have updating failure when using Sandboxie. It sure is staggering news to me, I never suspected that Sandboxie would give any browser trouble of this nature.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts

No worries, it's not been a waste of time. We've learned that Chrome and Sandboxie don't always work well together.

Chrome uses its own sandbox (see all the chrome.exe entries in Task Manager for multiple tabs), so you shouldn't need to use Sandboxie at the same time.

Can you let us know what settings you change to fix it? Or if you get stuck, post back with details of your config.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Can you let us know what settings you change to fix it? Or if you get stuck, post back with details of your config.
Koala, looks like a dead end and I am stuck with it. I will have to update Chrome manually at intervals. This reply I got from the Sandboxie Forum explains it clearly, I believe :- copied below
============ START
You will not be able to successfully update Chrome or any other program while sandboxed, unless that program is actually installed inside of the sandbox - not installed outside of the sandbox and running sandboxed.

Since the actual Chrome.exe file is stored underneath the XP user's %Local AppData% folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

then if Chrome was updated while using DefaultBox, the Chrome.exe file would wind up at:
C:\Sandbox\(user)\DefaultBox\user\current\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Because the updated file would be stored in the sandbox, not underneath the user's unsandboxed %Local AppData% folder.

Bottom line: don't try updating it while sandboxed.
========== END

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts

That makes sense. Thanks for the detailed update.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That makes sense. Thanks for the detailed update.
Koala,

All put to bed now. I seem to remember years ago (too late now, I had completely forgotten) seeing an instruction, probably in the Sandboxie waffle saying that users must never update a program, including browsers when sandboxed. It makes fundamental sandbox sense.

Stupid me, I should have realized that flow of information out of the sandbox is blocked unless authorized.

Getting old I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.