Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This problem just started yesterday (or at least that's when I noticed it), and I didn't make any changes on my computer.

Audio CD's skip heavily (i.e. every second or two) in Windows Media Player, but play fine in WinAmp.

DVD's put in the same drive skip in every player I've tried.

Any ideas what's going on here?

R

·
0 Posts
Re: CDs skip in Win Media Player, DVDs skip everywhere

Hello and welcome to TSF, dynamitestee!

Question: What other programs are running while you play your CD/DVD?

Also it would be a great help if you would have a look at: READ THIS: Required Information and provide us with the information under Hardware

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well, I thought it was a hardware problem at first, but when the cds worked fine in WinAmp, that kind of ruled that out, right?

Compaq Presario 061
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
100.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
32.43 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H492C [CD-ROM drive]

It may be useful to note that my monitor has been messed up for about a week (dark waves across the screen, streaks from any dark colors). It's an old monitor, so it could just be that it's bad, but I'm also afraid it could be something more serious now that I'm having problems with the cd/dvd drive.

Unfortunately, I barely have enough money to eat (and have internet only through the luck of my current situation) so swapping anything out is not going to be an option.

R

·
0 Posts

Hi Dynamitestee,

I haven't received an answer to my questions in my previous post, yet.

Now I have an additional few questions:

1. Is the computer casing open or closed

2. Is there something in the direct surroundings of the computer that produces a strong electromagnetic field, or transmits radio waves continuously (WiFi Router, DECT Telephones, TV-set...)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well, you could be having driver issues. What was going on when this first started happening as far as updates, software installs etc?
Nothing, that's the weird part. I haven't installed or uninstalled anything at all.

The monitor problem literally happened over night. I turned on the screen and it was messed up.

With the cd/dvd drive, who's to say how long ago the problem started because I hadn't used it for 3 weeks before yesterday (and then it worked fine).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

1. Is the computer casing open or closed
Closed.

2. Is there something in the direct surroundings of the computer that produces a strong electromagnetic field, or transmits radio waves continuously (WiFi Router, DECT Telephones, TV-set...)?
No. I was thinking of this myself, but there's nothing. The closest thing is a regular old router, about 3 feet from the tower.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Question: What other programs are running while you play your CD/DVD?
Other than the players themselves? None.

CD's skip in WMP, they don't skip in WinAmp.

DVD's skip in WMP, RealPlayer, and Intervideo winDVD

Also it would be a great help if you would have a look at: READ THIS: Required Information and provide us with the information under Hardware
Done, see above post.

R

·
0 Posts

Closed.

No. I was thinking of this myself, but there's nothing. The closest thing is a regular old router, about 3 feet from the tower.
OKay so we won't have to look for electromagnetical or RF-interference.

The case is closed, but have you recently looked into the case, is it dusty; and once again: What other programs do you run (background, forground) when this happens?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

but have you recently looked into the case, is it dusty;
Yes, it is dusty.

and once again: What other programs do you run (background, forground) when this happens?
Once again, none lol.

Seriously, I keep things at a minimum, only AVG is running in the background, I close everything else out.

R

·
0 Posts

Closed.

Other than the players themselves? None.

CD's skip in WMP, they don't skip in WinAmp.

DVD's skip in WMP, RealPlayer, and Intervideo winDVD

Done, see above post.
I see we have a misunderstanding; I meant besides any player!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Nope, I understand you. Besides the players, there is nothing else running (besides AVG in the background, as mentioned). My tray has only that one icon in it, my Win Task Manager lists only the player, AVG, and some SYSTEM processes.

R

·
0 Posts

Yes, it is dusty.

Once again, none lol.

Seriously, I keep things at a minimum, only AVG is running in the background, I close everything else out.
Sorry about that, but this is what you get when two people simultaneously reply :laugh:

Then first I suggest you clean it (whether doing that with compressed air, or with a vacuum cleaner: If you get close to a fan... block it from spinning, using a plastic, retracted, ballpoint pen or similar). AN disconnect the computer from the mains power please!

After this is done, and the problem still persists we'll continue!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Okay, I don't have a vacuum, I'll try to get some compressed air then get back to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Somethings:

1. I haven't been able to get the air. Still working on it.

2. I don't see how it could be dust, when CDs play perfectly in WinAMP but not in Windows Media Player. If it was a hardware problem, how could that be the case?

3. When I listen to a CD on WinAMP, the music sometimes stutters or stops playing while I'm carrying out certain tasks in QuarkXPress.

Any ideas?

R

·
0 Posts

Hello and welcome again, Dynamitestee

Somethings:

1. I haven't been able to get the air. Still working on it.
OK, will wait till you have it (tomorrow???)

2. I don't see how it could be dust, when CDs play perfectly in WinAMP but not in Windows Media Player. If it was a hardware problem, how could that be the case?
Better use of error correction?

3. When I listen to a CD on WinAMP, the music sometimes stutters or stops playing while I'm carrying out certain tasks in QuarkXPress.

Any ideas?
Well, if there is just one program that I wouldn't run while listening to music, it would be QuarkXpress! Not that it is a bad program au contraire, but it is a CPU and Memory (and if it lacks memory, then Hard Disk) intensive program... Intnsive interrupts on the CPU, saving to the hard disk may cause the "stuttering" you hear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

OK, will wait till you have it (tomorrow???)
Got it. Blew the whole thing out, didn't fix the problem.

Better use of error correction?
Is that really possible?

I'm really upset because I don't understand the problem :(

R

·
0 Posts

Got it. Blew the whole thing out, didn't fix the problem.

Is that really possible?

I'm really upset because I don't understand the problem :(
Did you also (and very carefully!!!) blew through the CD-drive?

Yes, cheaper drives may have a "not-so-good" error correction, which could result in a "bump-and-jump" experience when listening to a disk that is just minimally damaged.

BTW: In contrast to popular believe: CDs are vulnerable, dust, fingerprints can influence the performance of the disk. Minor scratches should not be a problem if you have a good CD/DVD drive, but even those can freak out on disks with deeper scratches, especially if these are circular!

Dust and fingerprints can be removed with a CD-cleaning liquid, or with pure alcohol (80%... and don't think of drinking that stuff :grin:), scratches are more difficult.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.