Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a fresh install of Win 7 Pro on a new 500 GB Seagate Barracuda Drive on a HP PC. When I try to personalize the machine it will not hold the settings. When I try to set up the monitor shut down and computer sleep setting I set it to never it reverts to 1 minute it does this for both of them. If I fuss around with the times it will set on a random time such as 1 hour, 45 minutes, 5 hours etc. This also happens when setting up Themes, I pick a theme I want and when I try to set up the shuffle time it will do the same thing as the other settings.

Now to make it more interesting when I went to download Malwarebytes I click on English when it goes to the next step the default setting is Bosanski! When go to the drop down and hit English it revert right back to Bosanski. I thought it was a site problem do I deleted IE history and my Temp file and used my disk to load the program with the same results.

Last night when attempting to download Malwarebytes and I had the Bosanski problem I "assumed" it was a Malwarebytes problem. I sent them an email about the problem and needless to say they still haven't figured it out . BTW, I clicked OK for the goof and yes indeed I couldn't read a word of it.

I didn't click to me today until I found the above problem that they are probably being caused by the same glitch.

Has anyone ever encountered this before and if so how do I overcome it?

Thanks,
KAHSR

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
5,161 Posts
Re: Can't set up personalization settings they keep defaultly to 1 minute.

(Thread Moved to appropriate Forum)

The only times I've seen goofy stuff like that is if the install was hacked, therefore likely infested, or if data from an old drive that also contained malware is put in to the computer prior to install AV.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

(Thread Moved to appropriate Forum)

The only times I've seen goofy stuff like that is if the install was hacked, therefore likely infested, or if data from an old drive that also contained malware is put in to the computer prior to install AV.
Nope the data is not hacked it is a clean installation disk on a brand new hdd.

KAHSR

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

Exact Model number of your HP PC please? Did it come with Win7 or are you upgrading from an earlier version of Windows such as Vista or XP?

If so, did you run the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor program prior to installing? If not, you could be experiencing baseline driver incompatibility with Win7 and much older hardware.

It would be very helpful if you could answer Jack's question about the flavor of your Source Win7 disc?

Posting answers promptly to our questions will help you get answers faster.

Best,
BIGBEARJEDI

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Exact Model number of your HP PC please? Did it come with Win7 or are you upgrading from an earlier version of Windows such as Vista or XP?

If so, did you run the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor program prior to installing? If not, you could be experiencing baseline driver incompatibility with Win7 and much older hardware.

It would be very helpful if you could answer Jack's question about the flavor of your Source Win7 disc?

Posting answers promptly to our questions will help you get answers faster.

Sorry for the timing issue. I shut down every evening at 8:00PM EST every night. So anything posted after that will not be seen until late morning early afternoon.

Best,
BIGBEARJEDI
It is a Compag Presario SR1920LA.
It came as XP and I did a Win7 upgrade. I did run the MSUA program and all was good.

However, I replaced the old drive with a new drive and used a Dell OEM disk. I figured I could use my license from my retired parts PC so the disk would be fine to use, of course HP didn't send me a disk with my old computer. Or my new one for that matter.

Jacks question is now answered.

Sorry for the timing issue. I shut down every evening at 8:00PM EST every night. So anything posted after that will not be seen until late morning early afternoon.

Thanks for the help.
KAHSR

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

Ok, KAHSR, Good job on answering our Questions! Now we can give you some of our famous Good advice. :)

A couple of assumptions you made are incorrect. #1 is that even though HP bought Compaq some 13 yrs. ago *2001*, they still have some inconsistencies on their harddware due to the fact that they were 2 separate companies back in the early 2000s. You cannot use a Dell OEM windows disk or an HP OEM windows disk and expect it to work on a Compaq computer!! I don't know who told you that or where you heard it from, but most likely you did NOT hear it from someone who repairs computers for a living.

Each company; Compaq, Dell, HP, etc. builds their hardware significantly different from the others, and therefore the software integrated into each OEM Windows disk is matched and licensed to only that brand of computer, and to make matters worse, usually a specific product line or model series only. This means that using a Compaq-Windows disk for a Proliant, or Mini, or G series HP or HP-Compaq will not work a Presario computer or vice-versa. Since it's inception as a Company, Compaq has always had propietary hardware (down to their case screws!), and therefore OEM Windows discs from one product line DO NOT work on the others!!:nono:

Using a Dell hard drive in a Presario desktop computer should work; but not always, as there are many other issues. Generally speaking, you should be able to do this, but NOT with the Windows discs you are using. If you want to upgrade that Presario (which is probably around 10 yrs. old) to Win7, you'll need to locate an Compaq Presario OEM Windows7 disk, which doesn't exist. :facepalm:
If you click on this link: Software & driver downloads Compaq Presario SR1920LA Desktop PC | HP® Support=&
which takes you to the HP-Compaq driver support site, you'll see that the only drivers available for that computer are XP and Vista--no Windows7; so even though you ran the Win7 Upgrade Advisor on that computer and it found no issues, doesn't mean it will work. In fact, that's not the deciding factor for functionality. If there are no native drivers (written by HP-Compaq), but only 3rd party aftermarket drivers it's pretty much guaranteed to never work on Win7 correctly! No matter what anyone else has told you. It will appear to work, as you saw, but there are many, many little issues that don't show up until you begin using the computer with programs and on the Internet.

Now you can see why Jack *in his infinite wisdom* asked you THAT particular question. He's been to this neighborhood before, and knows the drill*.

In summary, you are trying to upgrade a computer to Win7 that can't properly be upgraded and therefore problems ensue. Simple as that. :facepalm:

If you wish to run Win7, you'll have to purchase a newer computer (something with Vista on it at least and a "Windows Vista Ready" sticker on the case) in order to achieve success. Alternatively, you could just donate or junk the Presario and buy a brand new Win7 or Win8 desktop and then things will be fine. Either of these options will eliminate all the problems you have mentioned in your original Post. :dance:

Sorry to be the bear of bad news. :frown::frown::wink:

Best,
BBJ

P.S. Most computer companies have stopped sending out disks as well as Manuals with their computers for at least 10 yrs. now. Since you have a 10 yr. old computer, that's about right. Don't expect to see disks or manuals anytime soon as guys like Mr. Dell are saving up to buy a private continent with the money they save on giving you those items with your computer purchase!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Dang BBJ that is a kick in the seat of the bitches!

The machine was an XP (SP3) that successfully upgraded to Win 7 SP1 but was just so full of years of garbage it was slower than a one legged frog.

I was hoping to eliminate all of the work or reinstalling XP SP3 which I do have a disk for then do the 10,000 updates then the upgrade to Win 7 SP1 and it's 3000 updates. Then going from there with all of the rest of the "days/weeks"of tweaking.

So it looks like I start all over again with a hard learned lesson. Thank you for your wisdom and expertise and this goes to everyone that asked the right questions and helped a rookie of decades out.

Maybe someday I will learn to ask if "such and such" can be done BEFORE doing it. Naw:facepalm:

Thanks all,
KAHSR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.